Acebeam        

Thread: Leatherman Skeletool CX vs Leatherman Sideclip etc

Default Leatherman Skeletool CX vs Leatherman Sideclip etc

Leatherman Skeletool CX vs Leatherman Sideclip (Retired Tool) vs SOG X-Ray Vision

Bought a Leatherman Skeletool CX a few weeks ago and love it. I'm late to the game but it's nice, functional, well built minimalist edc utility tool. The larger one-handed knife 1520cm sets it apart. First time I saw it I didn't think I'd like it. Now that I've had a chance to use it I have retired carrying the Sideclip and X-Ray Vision. I aslo have a Leatherman Charge AL which is a fantastic tool but too heavy for edc and better suited for woods or backpacking carry for me. I have 15 or so multi tools and the best one is the one your gonna carry and use.

Snagged the Sideclip off Craigslist for $25, great piece of Leatherman History... The SOG is a nice self-defence tool and seen some action also!

Leatherman Sideclip (Retired) - Leatherman Skeletool CX - SOG X-Ray Vision

Leatherman Skeletool CX - Leatherman Sideclip - Leatherman Charge AL - SOG X-Ray Vision Large

This is pushing me to replace my broken then lost CX. It was a hard worker when I had it and I have since missed it. I tried replacing it with a Gerber Crutial I found but that was no good. Tried carrying around my big SOG bit I just didn't need all that and it's heavy...
    Will be looking out for another one whilst I do my last minute shopping.
    -Alex

Default Re: Leatherman Skeletool CX vs Leatherman Sideclip etc

Nice come up I have never seen that Sideclip. I also love the Skeletools I have both the SS one and the CX. I recently got the optional add on clip for my Wave which I clip to my back pocket.

Sideclip is slim and light weight, made 1998 - 2004. Nice tool and collectors item.

The Charge AL is a fantastic tool but a little too big for me to edc. The Skeletool CX clips to the pocket and hides out nicely!

Few more Iphone pics.

Leatherman Skeletool CX - Leatherman Sideclip - Leatherman Charge AL - SOG X-Ray Vision Large

I love my SideClip and got it new a long time ago.

I have almost cut my finger off with it several times too! Non-Locking blade.

I found a Skeletool here in a little hardware store the other day on sale cheaper than I have ever seen one and I think I will have to pick one up now.
    It seems like a perfect balance of simple but functional Leatherman in an interesting package.

Old thread, but it was still on the front page... I have two Sideclips, and will probably search out another one. I like it that much. I just broke my second Skeletool, it's boxed up for shipment to warranty replacement. Snapped one of the plier jaws off at the base, same as my first one. I love the look of the tool, but hate losing bits. The knife blade holds a good edge, one hand open is nice, the carabiner is cool, it feels good in the hand, just not as robust as it could be... Then again, I still have and use an original Wave. Maybe I'm just an old timer...

Edit- And cranky...

Tread back from the dead.
    I have 2 in all Stainless. I have yet to break one. You must have some serious meat puppets. One reason I have trashed mine, may be that I carry a pair of Knipex Cobra 125's in my bag. They see most of the hard work.
    A real nice pair of pliers that are easy to EDC are the Channel Lock Ignition Pliers. They are handy suckers. I keep a pair in each vehicle. They are super handy.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Tread back from the dead.
    I have 2 in all Stainless. I have yet to break one. You must have some serious meat puppets. One reason I have trashed mine, may be that I carry a pair of Knipex Cobra 125's in my bag. They see most of the hard work.
    A real nice pair of pliers that are easy to EDC are the Channel Lock Ignition Pliers. They are handy suckers. I keep a pair in each vehicle. They are super handy.

I've carried a cx as my " pocket knife" for several years and have never had an issue but like you it's not the only pliers around. There is always a surge in my bag that is never farther away then the truck. I love how handy and lite the cx is and it takes care of 90 % of my off work needs but the surge is my multi tool of choice.