Flashlights from 1917 to 2000

gsr

Enlightened
I always had to buy my flashlights at the PX. Supply never had any.:(

zold

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link. It is neat to see how the military models have evolved and specialized over time.

Jimson

Newly Enlightened
Not a military light, but even older

The 1902 Sears Catalog offered what they called an "electric search light' for $1.72 - a sum approaching $50 in today's money. It was supposed to 'flash' 6 to 8 thousand times before the battery went kaput. When that happened, the new one cost 39 cents, or over $10 in 2012 money. Oddly enough, there was no bulb offered, so apparently their experience was that these didn't need replacement very often.

YBCold

Newly Enlightened
Re: Not a military light, but even older

are there any replicas available for any of those lights?

Jimson

Newly Enlightened
I doubt if there is any interest

are there any replicas available for any of those lights?
Regarding the one I spoke of, after scrolling through several pages of google images of antique flashlights, I didn't see a one with the external metal tab - they all had slide switches. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1899_Eveready_flashlight.jpg I'd say the Sears light was a knockoff of this one. I'd love to buy an original, but I doubt if I have enough money. Same general problem (and much worse on account of the fact they'll be as rare as hen's teeth) as in 1902 - the cost was well over a day's wages for a common laborer.