Veleno Quantum modification. Smooth variable change.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seemed to me that the action of the QTC pill in the Quantum was a bit naff. Every time you use it, you are scraping away against the soft crumbly 'rubber' qtc pill with the top of the battery. This wears down the pill, you get magnetic dust inside the light and the light flickers a lot when you adjust. I decided to place a washer I had laying around which was the correct size( 5.8mm) on top of the qtc pill. To stop it from slipping out of place I placed some heat shrink tubing around the whole qtc 'bump' in the light. This is cut so that the top is fractionally higher than the whole 'bump' keeping everything in place. Because metal on metal slides easier than metal on 'rubber' the battery slides against the washer while the qtc pill is just squashed down straight. Both my Quantums now have a wonderfully smooth variable action with no flickering at all. Hope the below pictures explain it.
One of my Quantuns slowly increaded in brightness but then jumped to full. This is because the QTC was too thin or the brass ring too high and the washer was touching the ring too soon. I packed a small square of aluminium foil about 4 layers thick between the magnet and qtc to raise it up a bit to sort that out. The diagram I just did and took with my naff phone so it's not so clear...

This mod is for the version with the qtc in the head end though someting similar should work with the tail end version I guess.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy Veleno Quantum modification. Smooth variable change.

Great idea.... I've stayed away from QTC lights due to wear and tear issues and what people have said is finicky adjustment, but your solution looks like a great fix. Just make sure that washer doesn't jump the shrink wrap or you risk a dead short. A plastic washer with a metal filled center (couple of drops of solder maybe?) might be ideal in that application.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Easy Veleno Quantum modification. Smooth variable change.

The washer won't move as it's held in place quite firmly by the magnet below it. I used the heat shrink as it was the correct size tube but I guess I could even heat it up so it tightens against the brass ring and curves over the washer slightly which would hold it in place even more. It may even do that itself if I leave it on high for more than a couple of mins....

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Easy Veleno Quantum modification. Smooth variable change.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

I'd really like to do this with both my Quantum's. Even though the D2 works very smoothly, removing the rubbing of the QTC sounds like it would make it even better. However, it seems like the earlier, more finicky version would greatly benefit from this mod!

I'm also really diggin' how this technique offers a solid, max high when the washer touches the brass ring as it can ensure full output when you want, without risk of crushing the battery nipple.

Has this mod held up for you without any problems?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's still working well. I did replace the washer with a small metal disc that i found as the washer on top was only squishing the edges of the qtc due to the hole in the washer but it really didn't make much difference to how it worked. Still smooth as butter ramping up to full and the qtc looks like new as it's never rubbed against.

antoninodattola

Newly Enlightened
tysunave.jpg

Describe the stages:

1) With something sharp, making small furrows, on the positive pole of the battery,
serves to better adhere to the pond

2) Put a drop of pond on the positive pole,

3) stagnate at least 1 of your face thickness

4) to support the thickness from the tin, on the positive pole, and heat it with the soldering iron,
put into place, and everything is ok!

Note: Be careful not to overheat the battery, you risk damaging it ..

I used these:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1145100

They go very well!

Indeed, for those who have the DD version, are fabulous, allow you to pull out the battery, without however, need a pair of pliers,
because in this version the magnet and the QTc are behind the negative ..

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea Jay R!
I have the later version Quantum as well with the QTC pill in the head.
I tried something similar with a small magnet.

(left) LED pill with QTC, (right) magnet
magnetmod2_zpsd9255a14.jpg

I put the magnet(6mm x 1mm) underneath the QTC as seen in pic below.
magnetmod1_zpse566ff5c.jpg

After some testing, the magnet seems to sit fine on its own without twisting during use.
Now the twisting vs ramping of the light is a lot smoother with very little flickering.

Mainly did this as without the magnet mod the light would not reach full brightness anymore.
I had taken it apart to make sure both retaining rings were on tight.
Light would twist fully closed but the QTC was not compressed enough to reach full brightness.
The extra 1mm thickness from magnet now allows the QTC to be compressed enough to reach full brightness.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. I'd still recommend a piece of plastic tubing around the outside. Eventually the magnet may work it's way out sidways and short therefore ruining the battery. On the other hand, if the positive of your cell is a bit recessed, the plastic around the cell may be keeping the magnet centered as long as you only twist it 'just' off. I thought about using a magnet myself but didn't have one the correct size.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. I'd still recommend a piece of plastic tubing around the outside. Eventually the magnet may work it's way out sidways and short therefore ruining the battery. On the other hand, if the positive of your cell is a bit recessed, the plastic around the cell may be keeping the magnet centered as long as you only twist it 'just' off. I thought about using a magnet myself but didn't have one the correct size.

You're absolutely right, I had my first short last night as the magnet had worked its way to the edge.
Luckily I caught it quickly before any damage occurred. I tried using a piece of a plastic straw around it but it wasn't the right fit.
Need to find the right size plastic tubing.
Thanks again for the great idea!

BTW, amazon and fastech both have the 6mm x 1mm magnets if you need them.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a small pack of misc size heat shrink, pick one that is just about right, cut 3 or 4mm to fit and pop it on.

Thanks, I found the inner part of an earphone bud will work as tubing.
Just turn earbud inside out and with scissors or blade slice off the inner part. Then trim to fit.

Here is a pic of the earbud and the Quantum pill with the magnet and the cutout of inner earbud tube around magnet.
magnetmod3_zps6243ea5b.jpg

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
I'm awaiting delivery of my first D2 and came across this thread. Have there been any other 'best practice' mods to protect the QTC pill, or should I rely on the information in this thread as the definitive guide to preserving the functionality of the light?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is still working well. Not sure I would go with the magnet idea above over the metal disk I use. I would think the washer sticks to the battery all the time so you would be contantly pulling the magnet out of the sleeve. Perhaps THE dAY can tell us? Anyhow, I have now done 4 of these mods and all work fine.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is still working well. Not sure I would go with the magnet idea above over the metal disk I use. I would think the washer sticks to the battery all the time so you would be contantly pulling the magnet out of the sleeve. Perhaps THE dAY can tell us? Anyhow, I have now done 4 of these mods and all work fine.

I've only used the magnet as its all I have that fits. With the rubber I put around it stays put on the head area.
Over time the ramping is not as smooth as it first was.

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
I've only used the magnet as its all I have that fits. With the rubber I put around it stays put on the head area.
Over time the ramping is not as smooth as it first was.
Would you attribute the deterioration of the ramping to the magnet, or to fatigue of the QTC pill?

Also, what's the best way to get the head assembly out of the housing to install a washer or whatever?

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest that the magnet is sticking to the battery and therefore rubbing against the qtc, negating the whole point of this mod ?

I did my 4 mods with everything in situ. Didn't take the head apart at all. Needle nose tweasers are a must though.

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
I mostly use clips and sometimes ball chains.
Here is an old post of mine on another forum that runs through quite a lot of clips noting what does and doesn't work.
http://edcforums.com/threads/hfs-edc.108230/#post-1561312
HTH's

I was thinking more in terms of which would be more secure. I was planning on using either the D-ring or split ring on the D2 side, along with a McGizmo removable clip on the other so I can deploy independent of my keychain.

By the way, what's the deal with ECD forums? I've tried about a half dozen times to create a user ID and it never seems to take. Even sent an inquiry to the owner and got no response. My spam filter is turned off, so that can't be it. Do you know anyone over there, or would it be possible for you to put me in touch with someone there to see what the story is?

Latest posts