Streamlight Ten Tap - Propolymax 4AA - defective or design flaw ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Streamlight Propolymax 4AA with the C4 LED. However I am having an issue with it or it has a design flaw. So it has the ten tap programming which I get. Initially is set to High from factory (not interested in strobe). So I press the button and only High. Press again still High. Press again still High........I then program the light to Low/High. And then it only comes on Low. Press again Low. Press again Low....So then I set it back to factory default still comes only on High when switching levels. Then again program for Low/High, only comes on Low when switching levels.

Finally I figured that I have to press the button EXTREMELY FAST to go to either Low/High or High/Low (depending how is programmed).
I have to say this, it makes the light very awkward to use, difficult to use. I understand how it works now, BUT this way is NOT really usable.

So this is what I think is happening. To program the light for the ten tap you need to click really fast like in .4 seconds fast, to get it to desired program. (it says .4 seconds in the manual) This needs to be done 9 times to be programmed. I understand that, but I think Streamlight ALSO LEFT the SWITCHING between modes/levels for NORMAL use such as Low/High or High/Low to .4 seconds (that is needed when the light is programmed).
If that what is indeed happenning, it makes this great light pretty much a one level light, which really defeats the purpose why I got it in the first place, multiple levels use.

The reason I am saying all this is because on the Surefire E1L and E2L (2 output model) there is a 2 seconds window where the Low/High level can be changed. This 2 seconds window is perfect to go from one level to another (one output to another). Both Surefire and Streamlight use mechanical switches.
What I am finding/guessing is that the .4 seconds switching between levels as is normally intended to be used is WAY TOO FAST to be practical.

For those that have this light please test my theory and let me know how your light works. Maybe I got a defective light.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is probably the interface, and not a defect. I'm used to the Surefire UI as well, and I recently received one of Tana's SingLED drop ins. It is the same way - if I double press like I would a Surefire, it stays on in the same mode and does not change. However, if I "double tap" very quickly, it will change modes. It may be something you just need to get used to, and if you can't, you may want to sell it on the marketplace.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got myself a ProTac HL and it has quite similar UI.

1) Hi, Lo, Strobe
2) Hi only
3) Lo, Hi

Switching to secondary output requires double tap too and it is in my opinion a very poor design. I could still live with it but the PWM on low output is horrendously slow in frequency. So slow it irritates the hell out of me. This is the shortest staying light I have ever owned. The next day it was given to my significant other.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did go back and read the instructions as pjandyho mentions, it needs to double tap to change mode. Is unfortunate that the interface is like this. Among many "polymer" lights Streamlight has a wide variety to choose from. I like and have many of their polymer lights, but this one highly disappointing. Is like Streamlight is trying to compete with Zebrallight UI. They should not. Zebrallight has its own great UI. I just wanted something functional, simple to operate. A flashlight, at least what I am used to from Streamlight is not a computer with 18 different settings. I found out through my experience over the years that Reliability and Functionality in a flashlight come first, before anything else. This particular model fails in the Functionality department in my opinion. Hope that next time around Streamlight will get it right.

Last edited: