**Pelican M6 - is now available with LED**

Ben H

Enlightened
I believe Brightguy.com has them in stock, but for $63! I'm interested to hear a review on this light.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think some early samples got to a few CPF modders and reviews and descriptions have already been posted. They use a clever way of mounting the LED so it's pointing backwards at the reflector. I still don't see the point of paying so much for a 1 watt LED light that weighs several times as much as an Arc LS. If I get a 2x123 flashlight as heavy as an M6, I'd certainly want a 5 watt.

Kirk

Enlightened
paulr,
I saw a 2004 Pelican catalog and it appears the M6 Lithium uses a regular Luxeon pointing forward. The SabreLite and M8 use the "Reflex Technology" where the LED fires back towards the reflector. They claim 17 lumens for the M6 and 30 lumens for the Sabre and M8, if I recall correctly. They also claim 6 hours runtime on 2 CR123s so they probably aren't running them as hard as the KL1 and others. I wonder how they heatsinked the LED if it is basically "floating" on the plastic lens with just thin metal? arms holding it? I'd sure like to see if the beam shows the shadow of the LED holder or if they somehow "masked" it.
Kirk

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only Pelican M6 LED I've gotten or seen is the kind that is a drop-in mod for a regular Pelican M6. It uses a 5-watt LS, a BB750 circuit, and a custom milled reflector to replace the standard bulb and reflector of an ordinary M6.

I have a page about it right here if you're interested.

TheFire

Enlightened
I don't expect that the shadow would show up if they designed it correct... think about how a newtonian telescope works... the arms don't show up there, and I think the mechanism would be fairly similar here...

M

Newly Enlightened
The BrightGuy site indicates the M6 LED has a light output of 41 lumens. The Pelican site indicates 16 lumens. Is their a third party out there that can shed some-I am not going to say it-on the output of this light? Also, I understand that lumens/lux is like apples/oranges. That being said, is there any info regarding lux (throw) for this light? I like the throw of my TL-2 LED, but wouldn't mind a bit more. However, I would like to stay with lights with a 2x123 form factor. Thanks!
Mike

MrMom

Enlightened
I have tried out both lights at a trade show. For my early comments follow the thread given by BlindedByTheLight near the bottom of the thread look for my post.

nonbox

Banned
I doubt it will be 41 lumens. But at $44, its cheaper than a LS. How does it compare to a Streamlight TL2?

I hope there will be a 5 watt M6.

fred0109

Newly Enlightened
The Pelican M6 LED is brighter than the SL TL-2 LED. I have both now, but still prefer the TL-2 over the Pelican due to weight. The Pelican has a click on/off switch instead of the twist style, which is nice, but the TL-2 is focusable. I got mine from www.swps.net and I think they have a few more in stock. They are very hard to get right now and the factory is backed up on these for a while. Overall great product, well made, bright, and alot cheaper than trying to mod one(especially when you don't have a clue what you are doing). I would post comparison photos, but do not have a digital camera, so this is all for now.

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fred0109 said:

The Pelican M6 LED is brighter than the SL TL-2 LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering how much brighter the M6led is than the TL2led. Is the hotspot a lot larger and/or brighter?

Kevin at batterystation said that the M6led, along with the M8led and the Sabreliteled, have not shipped yet from Pelican, and are not due to ship until January. I wonder why some other dealers have gotten the M6led? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the LED mounted? Is it using a star? Is there room for a BadBoy? I'm hoping to mod one to AA using A19.

paulr

Flashaholic
Um, A19 is a Surefire part, I've never heard of anyone extending an M6 with one and I doubt that it's possible. If you want an M6 with a Badboy, use a McModule. If you an M6-like LED beam in a Badboy-driven AA-powered light, put a McLux PR head on a UBH.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If the A19 is the battery extender,it does fit on the PM6! See my runtime plots on the PM6 with the DownBoy 1w converters in the Reviews Forum.