Running a Led Lenser x21 from a 6v lantern battery

4agdriftkp

Newly Enlightened
hi all, I am looking for a bit of help regarding running a few Led Lenser torches from batteries other than those they are designed for. I am looking to take just the head from a Led Lenser x21, attach a lightweight handle and run a separate power sorce like a 6v lantern battery in an attempt to get longer burn time. The standard batteries for the torch are 4x 1.5v D alkalines in series making 6v. What I need to know is providing I keep the volts the same does it matter how many amps or amp hours the battery has ie; will it burn out the cree chip leds? Also does anyone have any information on mah of D batteries vs the F cells you find in a 6v lantern battery? If this did work and didn't damage the leds I may even look at running a small 6v sealed lead acid battery in a backpack that could be recharged so as to not have to keep buying lantern batteries. I have tried rechargeable D batteries but the draw from the torch is to great and the batteries cant keep up. Any help is much is much appreciated and I would be keen to know if anyone else has tried something like this.

4agdriftkp

Newly Enlightened
Im also after some information around what the current draw is from both the Led Lenser x21 and the latest model the x21.2 as I cant find it on the website. Surely someone on this forum has some idea of the power these torches chew up on full power, ie; how long do the standard D batteries last or how long could I expect to get from a 7ah and or 12ah 6v sealed lead acid battery.

RC-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i think, i know the X21: Look here:

*link removed by Greta

the main Problem: If you only use the head, you will have no regulation. Because the resistor is in the switch in the handgrip.
So you have to use a own driver for the single head.

in the head are 7x XR-E Cree LEDs, each with 3,5V and 1A and you have a really bright X21

if you want to use the switsh with the resistor, it depands on the internal resistance of the battery, whether you can use the 6V lantern battery.

best regards,

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

4agdriftkp

Newly Enlightened
What does the resistor in the switch do and is there something I could buy that would do the same job and mean I could use just the head of the torch? Cheers, Dan.