Bad Thread Titles - Very annoying

markr6

Flashaholic
Ever wish you could secretly edit a thread title to give it some useful meaning? And no, "this one" doesn't count :nana:

You know the ones - they're too short, too long, indescriptive, leading, teasers, annoying, etc.

I'm just making these up, but they're usually something like:

- hey
- what do you think?
- too much?
- now I've done it
- didn't see this coming
- why?
- finally!
- cool

At least hovering over the title gives a quick summary. Otherwise I would have worn out the back button by now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Bad Thread Titles

Ever wish you could secretly edit a thread title to give it some useful meaning? And no, "this one" doesn't count :nana:
I've heard a rumour that some members can :devil: Not secretly as there is always evidence left behind.

Norm

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Ever wish you could secretly edit a thread title to give it some useful meaning? And no, "this one" doesn't count :nana: You know the ones - they're too short, too long, indescriptive, leading, teasers, annoying, etc. I'm just making these up, but they're usually something like: - hey - what do you think? - too much? - now I've done it - didn't see this coming - why? - finally! - cool At least hovering over the title gives a quick summary. Otherwise I would have worn out the back button by now!

I sometimes boycott bad titles by refusing to open the threads. If you want me to read your post, the least you can do is create a decent title.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

The most useless tread titles are the ones that comment on the content of the first post, but the first post is a link to a video. It looks like this:

Title: Who would have believed?

Body of first post

and then every reply in the thread is something like "not me!"

Speaking of unbelievable... This video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPdC-xgxTU ) is a 27 minute video of the Ultrafire/CREE XML XM-L T6 LED 1600LM Flashlight Torch . Even I can't expound on the virtues of a single light that long. :)

Daniel

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I sometimes boycott bad titles by refusing to open the threads. If you want me to read your post, the least you can do is create a decent title.

That is what I do every time. If it gets many posts, then if I see someone I respect is commenting on it. Only then do I look at it. Never thought of hovering over the title, figure if the title is that vague, it is not worth the time and effort. Just tweetful ramblings or trivial, insider gossip.

nbp

Flashaholic
within this thread, yours is the best one yet.

Ha, thanks.

I know I had some stupid titles too in the past as a newer member but I think I've improved over the years...

I especially find this to be problematic in the Recommendations forum. Threads with names like "Recommendations", "Best", "Need Help Plz" will get exactly zero of my time.

On the other hand, thank you to those who can accurately state their need: Something like "Need 14500 Powered 3 Mode Light with Rear Clicky and Zoom". That is a title that would actually draw in people who know something about your requirements.

Patriot

Flashaholic

That is what I do every time. If it gets many posts, then if I see someone I respect is commenting on it.

There's so much information on this forum that you almost have to do exactly as you guys describe. I have to admit that if there's not some specific, identifying characteristics in the title, I nearly scoff at these ambiguous posts as I breeze over them. Admittedly, I might be missing some great information but odds are, I'm probably saving myself some time.

...and by the way, I knew exactly what this thread was about by reading the title. :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: What's All The Fuss About? A Rose By Any Other Name....

Its across every forum on the web.

I think some people just have it in their head that it will be read no matter what, and just post what, to them, seems to be the relevant part.

Its a bit like when a young child makes a drawing in crayon, and holds it up to you to show you, with the crayon side facing them, not you, so you just see the blank side of the paper...but they see their drawing and don't think about that you can't.

:D

Re: ..........Would Smell As Sweet.

Its across every forum on the web.

I think some people just have it in their head that it will be read no matter what, and just post what, to them, seems to be the relevant part.

Its a bit like when a young child makes a drawing in crayon, and holds it up to you to show you, with the crayon side facing them, not you, so you just see the blank side of the paper...but they see their drawing and don't think about that you can't.

:D

It's their mothers fault. When they were children, their mom put all their "art" on the fridge. Not just the good stuff.

~ Chance

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, the worst titles are the ones that are just random letters and numbers e.g.

XC589

or

FH23 vs. E76x

Is it so much effort to type "Fenix" or "Nitecore" and some words of explanation? Are we supposed to automatically know what an XC589 is?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, the worst titles are the ones that are just random letters and numbers e.g.

XC589

or

FH23 vs. E76x

Is it so much effort to type "Fenix" or "Nitecore" and some words of explanation? Are we supposed to automatically know what an XC589 is?

Agreed. Although... Every time a flashlight is mentioned on one of Vinhn's threads where there is no brand or even picture, I just google the 'random letter-number' and 'flashlight' and it has always come up. The folks posting sure seem to know what they are talking about.

EDIT: Just be sure to leave off the 'vn' at the end. That indicates it is a Vinhn modified flashlight

Last edited: