Fenix LD12G2 Use With 14500 Banned?

redranger97

Newly Enlightened
So i stumbled across this while searching the net..

http://www.fenixtactical.com/manuals/fenix-ld12-user-manual.pdf

Down in the battery specification chart, it says use of 14500 3.7V "Banned"! That PDF seems to be referring to the version with the XP-G (not XP-G2). Does the "banned" case still hold with the XP-G2 version? I ask because I have also been reading where some people use the 14500 and even post reviews of performance while using this cell. Is it OK to use this cell or not? I am seriously considering buying the LD12G2 if i can safely use the 3.7V cell.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I really liked the Fenix LD12........I should say use to like it. I love the way it looks. That was when they were first introduced. They worked well. Then I came across a sale at Fenix Gear recently with some XP-G's still in stock and since they were discounted I though I'd pick another one up.

It didn't regulate well. I have a data logging light meter and I did not like what I saw. I thought I got a bad one, so I ordered another and it did the same thing. Then the guys on CPF mentioned a thread talking about disgruntled LD12 owners. Seems I wasn't the only one.

Aside from that warning, no I don't think you can run a 14500 battery on them. You might get away with it but no telling for how long.

It's a shame, as I'm convinced that something changed in their manufacturing in-between the 2 years from the time I bought my first one to the time I bought the 2nd. And I think the problem might have continued on to the XP-G2 which is the same light only with the newer LED. Keep in mind other Fenix lights work great for me so I'm not trying to bash Fenix.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will most likely go into overdrive and just work on turbo until battery voltage drops significantly!
At least that's how the good old LD10 handled 14500.

Latest posts