Prometheus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

Default Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

Hello all,

I have posted some information on a diving board about upgrading my DR MR11 Hid light head and was given some names of people who make some nice lights. Yes, Packhorse was one the names given to me. I have reached out to Packhorse and several others but was really hoping I could turn this into a DIY project (with assistance).

During my research about HID and LED dive lights I found my way here. From reading post on here and being given some direction from Pack Horse it appears a good option for a good tight beam for signaling and the best punch is the XM-L single emitter with a Ahorton 28mm lens.

I am using a 12v 4.5ah battery pack. I has a burn time of about 3.5 hours.

For now here are some questions.

• Where do I buy the Ahorton 28 mm lens. I have only seen Ahorton 27.2mm lens for sale on here. (prefer not to buy from China)
    • Is this Cree XM-L recommended? Cree XML - Cool-White High Power LED
    • Which driver? I have seen the ones that appear to be coming from China but would like to stay away from them (not sure of quality). I have read a Taskled drive would work well. How about this one? http://www.taskled.com/h6cc.shtml
    • Heatsink – make one that is at least 20mm's long; more if possible. I have a lathe so this part should not be too hard.

If I can build this one then maybe I will attempt to build one for clear waters with more spill.

Thanks

Bill

Default Re: Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

27.2mm Ahorton is the same.

I use a 3amp 3 mode chinese driver. I have blown a few up, mainly when I mod them to single mod I think. But they are so cheap its not an issue. Dont think I have ever had one fail in use.

If you have a lathe then just machine up a rod/disk of aluminium that only just fits in the light head. As long as its a good fit it will transfer the heat well. Make it 0.2mm too small and it wont work well. Thickness isnt that important. any thing more than 10mm should be fine.

Great I have placed an order for the lens.

Is this the driver you recommend? http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020121

How are the led emitters from the above vendor?

Thanks

Bill

NO, its only $5
    I buy some stuff from Kaidomain, mainly DX.com they seem fine. But you never really know if the LED is the right BIN or not.

Found these which seem to match what you described. I will order several in case I do something to mess one up. http://dx.com/p/6-18v-3000ma-3-mode-...emitters-57779

Now if I remember right I read somewhere on this forum, you were able to disable the modes so there was only off or on. I will do a search to see what I find.

Unless you are turning the switch on and off really quick then it does not switch modes; is this right?

I will order the LED emitter from a local store and hope it is the right BIN.

Flashaholic*

that driver is sold out. there's another similar one though: http://dx.com/p/t6-2500-3000ma-3-mod...4-5-18v-128269
    mind you that the current from this type of drivers is often a bit overrated. you'll likely get a current that is on the lower end of what they say.
    Perhaps some modding may solve that, but their quite decent drivers so it's a good start.

i think the 28mm ahortons were the initial version, untill someone mentionned that it would fit alot more hosts if it was just a little bit smaller.
    you can get the newer ones via here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...66#post4316066

I also offer some fresnel lenses that are a bit cheaper (see signature)

Johan
    For my 25mm, 38mm and 50mm fresnel lenses, go here

If you are having fit problems, the Fresnel lenses are a great option. Not quite as good as the Ahorton, but very close. And very thin, only 2mm!

I just got my second batch of them, because my buddies and I like my light so much I had to make some more!

Quote Originally Posted by jspeybro View Post
    that driver is sold out. there's another similar one though: http://dx.com/p/t6-2500-3000ma-3-mod...4-5-18v-128269
    mind you that the current from this type of drivers is often a bit overrated. you'll likely get a current that is on the lower end of what they say.
    Thats the one.
    Never measured current at the LED but input always seems to be about 10w (1 amp at 10volt on power supply).

You can mod them to single mode by removing the 8 pin MCU and soldering a bridge in its place from the top left pad to the 2nd from top pad on the right.
    Last edited by Packhorse; 12-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Johan thanks for providing me another option for a driver and lens. I read that these drivers do not always deliver what they say. Now unless someone with experience can help with the modding then I may have to accept what they deliver. Since this is my first attempt I may be fine with what I get and it is a starting point. I have order several Ahorton lens but I will read the link you provided. I have some other dive lights that I would like to upgrade so I may need your lens for those. Man this could be additive.

DIWdiver - what light are you using the Fresnel lenses in?

Packhorse thanks for the information. I think I know what you mean but pretty sure I will need to follow up once I have the driver in my hand.

I really appreciate the assistance.

Here's a link to the build thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...mod-with-XM-L2

In the first post there's a link to a thread where I did an evaluation of the light. Please read it before buying.

Flashaholic*

The driver will already be a nice upgrade from a 10W HID without modding the output current, so start with the beginning and use it as it is.

if you want to give it a try, there's some info on the mods of the driver here, but I never tried it myself:
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1253210
    For my 25mm, 38mm and 50mm fresnel lenses, go here

Can someone please point me to a location that is trust worthy to purchase the xml. The one I linked is now out of stock. I looks like there are a lot sites outside the USA that sell them and in the USA you have to purchase in bulk.

if you want to give it a try, there's some info on the mods of the driver here, but I never tried it myself:
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1253210
    thanks for the link

LEDsupply.com is in the US. I've had success with them. That's assuming you want them mounted on stars.

If you want just the emitter, you can get them from digikey or mouser, or any of a number of others.

LEDsupply.com is where I was hoping to order but the XM-L T6 cool white is out of stock. What is the difference of the XML2? They have the XML2 in cool white. Is Cool white the best selection for my purpose?
    Last edited by Bill D; 12-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Color temperature is a subjective choice. Cool white gives you more light, but neutral or warm gives better color (at least at short range).

The XM-L2 is the second generation of the XM-L. It will give higher output under the same conditions. It's a better part, and you shouldn't hesitate to use it instead of the XM-L. In fact, you should prefer it.

Thanks for the spoon feeding! Items have been order so now I will browse this site with hopes of learning more.
    Your flashlight project seemed pretty cool. Do u trust it as a backup in caves?

Sent by using my Infected Nusense Thunderbolt

In general, no.

Enlightened

DIWdiver,

I've been trying to get in touch with you about buying some linear 10A drivers, and you mailbox is full. Please contact:

Howard hwdsndf@comcast.net

thanks

LED arrived yesterday. Still waiting on the others parts.
    I also found out last night it is time for a new battery pack. Should upgrade to newer technology or just build a pack like the one that came with it (4.5). Oh this is the slim can.

Today I realized my charger appears to be the issue. It isn't sending any current to the battery pack.

Rebuild with Li Ion. Its probably cheaper...until you factor in the new charger. But since you need a new charger anyway still cheaper.

Packhorse...I am sure you are right. I might as well upgrade to Li-Ion since both my batteries and charger have died. My local Battery and Bulbs store let me borrow their charger just to see what my batteries would do. Well they didn't do much at all. So I will price a battery pack from the local store and compare it to batteryspace.com. It appears it would be cheaper to order the batteries (18650) with tabs and then solder them. It looks like I could put three in series and four in parallel. Oh, I would also need to two pcb and two polyswitches. Since I am new to this I will see what the local store can do but then again it sure would be a great way to learn some new information by building the battery pack myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Packhorse...I am sure you are right. .....
    Of course!!

Switching to Li Ion may cost a little to start with, but buy a BC6 charger( or knock off) helps ease the pain. I dont use poly switches in my Li Ion packs.

I have used 26650's from Batteryspace which performed really well for a couple of years ( having issues at the mo but have not daignosed the problem) and Trustfire 18650's which perform well for cheap cells and also sanyo 18650's more recently. I prefer the sanyos as they are available tab welded, Some ultrafires are too but they are labled at 4000ma but only 1500ma in reality.\

Packhorse are you recommending the BC6 because you are not using pcb's in you builds and this charger acts as the pcb? If so then if I decided to use PCB's then I could go with a cheaper charger? Seems buying the fancier charger upfront may be a betterr option if I understand how these items work.

Thanks

Not all PCB's allow for balance charging, so in that case you need a balance charger.
    The BC6 clone chargers are pretty cheap and very versitile. They charge all sorts of chemistries.

Ok the Holidays are over so now I can refocus on the task of rebuilding my light. I am still waiting on the lens and drivers to arrive. I believe the driver may have arrived but dropped off at my neighbors home. I will check with them tonight.

Here is my order list from batteryspace.com. Please make suggestions or recommendations about these items.

Batteries are 18650's with tabs. http://www.batteryspace.com/ultra-hi...v-2800mah.aspx My plan is to do three in series and 5 in parallel for a total of 14.8 volts.
    PCB http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor14...agesocket.aspx
    Connector for PCB will be to match what the balance charger has.

It looks like those cells are 4.35v max. To get the full 2800mah you will need a charger that will charge to 4.35volt. Most LI Ion chargers ( and cells) are 4.2volt. You can still use a 4.2v charger but you will not get full capacity.
    Oh, and 3 series at 4.35v is 13.05volt, not 14.8v. That would be 4 cells in series at Nominal voltage. The PCB you linked to is for 4S.

I was only looking at nominal voltage of 3.7v. Since you pointed it out I now see the 2600 batteries are 4.2v which I would be able to get a full charge using the battery charger you stated earlier. The way I came up the 14.8 was by using 3.7v per battery with three in series, plus 5 in parallel. Looked like this (Parallel 3.7 x 5) =13ah@3.7v (series 3.7 x 3)= 2.6ah@11.1v for a grand total of 15.6ah and 14.8v when tied together. What am I doing wrong?

You don't add the series and parallel voltages. You don't add the series and parallel currents. You simply multiply the voltage times the series number, and the capacity times the parallel number.

You have 5 in parallel, so the amp-hours is multiplied by 5. The cell you linked to is 2.8A-h, so the pack capacity will be 2.8*5 = 14 A-h.

The nominal voltage is 3.7V, and you have 3 in series so the pack voltage is 3.7*3 = 11.1V.

So a 3S5P pack of these cells will be 11.1V @ 14A-h. This gives you about 155 Watt-hours.

Of course these are 'nominal' values. The off-charger voltage will be 4.2V * 3 = 12.5V. The "discharged" voltage will be 2.7V * 3 = 8.1V. Your voltages will vary depending on your charger, your protection circuits, and your preferences as to when you consider the batteries "discharged". Your capacities will vary with charge and discharge voltages, cell selection, and the way you treat the pack.
    Last edited by DIWdiver; 01-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Now I think I understand. How about if I do 4S4P which should be 14.8v @ 10.4AH. This would be using the 18650 2600ah 3.7 min and 4.2 max . Now in this case the PCB I had linked should work or is there something else I need to consider? The charger I was going with is what Pack Horse recommended.

Also the neighbor had the drivers I had order so now I just need batteries, battery charger, pcb and the lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast