Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

Default Re: Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

I might as well ask about this charger while I am at it. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

I think I may have finally grasp what y'all have been saying about putting batteries in series and parallel and about picking the right pcb. It took some reading, visual aids, calculator, data sheets and scratch paper but I think I am making some progress. Talk about a slow learner...good grief.

Again thanks for the guidance!

Please let me know if this makes any sense. I have looked at doing the battery pack(batteries 18650's, 2600, 3.7 nominal volts, 4.2 max and 2.5 max discharge) using either 14.8v pack (7.8AH) or a 11.1v (10.4)pack.

So if I use a 14.8v pack I would use 4s3p. I would need a total of twelve batteries which would provide 16.8 max voltage, 10 volts discharge. The pcb I would need would need to be able to handle 4s pack and need a PCB like this one http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor148vli-ionbatterypack10alimitwithfuelgaugesocket.aspx .

The 11.1 pack would be 3s4p. This would give me a total of 12.6 max voltage, 7.5 max discharge volts and I would use a PCB for 3s@7A max discharge.

Is that right? If that is right then does it matter if I use a 14.8 or 11.1v battery?

I would love to figure out the batteries so I can have them ready for when the lenses finally arrive.

Your choice of driver and the amount of LED's wired in series are probably the main considerations when deciding of what voltage battery pack to use. Some drivers are designed to work with a 2s pack and have a 6v low battery warning. While the driver may still work with a 3S pack it will not offer the same low battery warning.
    Also if you were to run 4 LED's in series then a 3S battery pack will not offer enough voltage. Like wise a 4S pack may not offer enough voltage head room required by some buck drivers.

For what its worth, most of my can lights use 2S packs and I drive single LED's.

For what its worth, most of my can lights use 2S packs and I drive single LED's.
    That does help. I looked at the driver but didn't see any specs other than 2.5 - 3a. So the PCB will limit the max current from the battery to the driver at 3a and will shut off at 5a to prevent discharging the battery to low. This setup will also allow the alert function to work when voltage reaches 6.

While still in a holding pattern waiting on my lenses and batteries, I tried my hand with making changes to the driver. I am glad I ordered two. The good news is I learned a couple of things so it wasn't a total waste.

Sent by using my Infected Nusense Thunderbolt

My project is still moving forward. A friend of mine assisted me with making the heat skink and the lens spacer/holder. I will post some pictures tomorrow and with some luck know one will see any major mistakes.

Here are two pictures.

The Delrin is 30mm. A lip was made on the inside for the lens to sit on. It is just 14.8mm deep. The heat sink is 13mm thick.
    A question is how you conntect the delrin to the heat sink? I was thinking about srewing the delrin to the heat sink and placeing threaded holes so it was help in removing the whole thing down the road. The heat sink has a tight fit inside the light head.

How do you wire the driver that was recommended? Do the wires that come preinstalled go to the emitter? I am also assuming the driver needs to connected to the heat sink? I really would like to finish this project so I can use my light for diving. Work has really prevented me from making any progress since my last post. Thanks

The red and black wires on the driver go to + and - on the LED, respectively. Battery + goes to the big round flat spot on the back side. Battery - goes to the ring around the B+ pad.

Thank you for that information!

Tonight I took a few minutes to do some soldering (need some more pratice) and then crossed my fingers and flipped the switch on. Then there was light and lots of it. Well more than I began with. Thank you to all who helped.

Hi, all
    I have a Welsh Allen MR11 HID (home built) cannister lamp.
    I want to upgrade the battery pack from Nimh to Li-Ion & then, change the head to LED.
    Since you're also looking for a power supply, I found these two that might be worth looking at.

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...eleads2x3.aspx

and

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

regards

Mike Dolson

first pack have 65 mm on diagonal and second have 77 mm on diagonal .....fits?

I have a 4" OD (3.5" = 94 mm ID) cannister.
    So both fit in mine.

Mike D

Thanks for the information but those packs will not work in my can. They are to wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Thanks for the information but those packs will not work in my can. They are to wide.

Sorry, I'd hope to help.
    regards
    Mike D

Update: While diving this past weekend I started having some issues with my light and hope someone could help me trouble shoot the issue. While diving this past weekend I noticed my flicker on/off several times and then dim from Hi to low setting. I thought maybe the battery wasn't fully charged so I recharged the battery pack. The next day during the first dive while exiting the cave the light flickered several times and switched to the lower setting. It then started flashing. I switched to a back up light and had to borrow a light for the rest of my dives.

I thought there might be a loose connection in the light head but once home I didn't detect any. I did notice the light was not toggling through the setting from Hi/Low/flash. I kept messing with the toggle switch every once in a awhile it would switch. So my question is how is the best way to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks Bill

some thermal protection inside circuit or some component that act on higher temperature ( also bad connection could be reason inside circuit - for instance some joints made on RoHS - tin without lead may crack without reason ) .... so open and inspect

Thank you for your suggestions. I will open it up tonight.

Update: I open up the light head today. I could not find the issue but while probing around with my multi meter I managed to kill the driver. Good thing I had order a couple of extra drivers. I went head and put the new driver on and everything seems to work fine now. I am using the cheap drivers and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a better driver. I would like one that actually puts out at least 3A instead of having to try to modify one. My soldering skills on these small board are really lacking.

Here is a picture of my beam on full power. The light head was ~6.5 ft way and it appears the width is ~12 inches. Or should I measure from the smaller brighter section across?

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been diving this light but still having some issues. Over time I am seeing the light develop a very noticeable pulse. Also I'm wanting to make it brighter. By using a Taskled driver can I overdrive the emitter to 3600ma and will I see much difference in the light output? I used a halcyon 21W HID and there is just so much difference between my tiny light output and the HID.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    ...while exiting the cave ... had to borrow a light for the rest of my dives...
    OMG! Didn't realize this before, but you're cave diving on handmade and borrowed lights? I hope your insurance policy is paid up, and your affairs are in order. DIWdiver out.

Quote Originally Posted by DIWdiver View Post
    OMG! Didn't realize this before, but you're cave diving on handmade and borrowed lights? I hope your insurance policy is paid up, and your affairs are in order. DIWdiver out.
    No reason to worry. Plenty of backup lights (plus primary) and borrowed light well tested. So I'm feel confident light options are not what will do me in.

Quote Originally Posted by DIWdiver View Post
    Before the mid 80s... most cave divers used handmade lights. I do think carrying a back-up primary light is a good idea when experimenting with this stuff. ...A but more complicated that the old lead acid halogen lights..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12