1w with AAA questions

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, I'm sure by now I should be able to answer these qustions myself by now, but well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm looking to make a 1W light that runs off of AAA batteries and want to know the longest lasting but least expensive choice.

3AAA Nimh DD
2AAA with micropuck
3AAA Alkaline DD

Other options?

What I want to make is a small light about the size of a PT Aurora (or smaller) that can clip on your belt with those phone type holders and has an LS in the front so you can have a hands free light on your belt facing forward. Then the same clip adaptor will go on a strap to make it a headlamp. No optics so it has a wide flood. I figure + - 300mA would be just bright enough. I want it to be relatively long lasting but inexpensive to build and operate.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone want to grab a beer and discuss? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StuU

Enlightened
For that type of application, an LS w/o optics might not be the best choice. LS w/o optics doesn't have very good working properties IMHO. Another problem with LS and AAAs is that the LS can tend toward green as the AAA voltage drops.

For a flood of that size in AAA, I would look to the Streamlight Septor headlamp as a guide. The Streamlights like the SL7 4AA or the Septor have a super high quality working flood. The Septor has a switch that goes from 1 to 3 to 7 leds and has the same reflector arrangement as the vaunted SL7. Maybe you could engineer a belt mount?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc AAA LS mod that has no optics and the flood beam is perfect for up close work. I was hoping for that same type of illumination but a bit brighter in a super small package. Maybe the size of a small pager or smaller on your belt. I don't need to illuminate far, maybe 5-7 feet at most.

I thought about the 24/7 light, but it seemed a bit big although I haven't seen one in person. Plus I was trying to keep it using rechargeable batteries.

The Septor has that big bezel which is what I was trying to avoid.

Basically I wanted to slap a bare or star LS onto a 2/3AAA battery pack with something small protecting the front of the LS. That's why I was thinking 3 AAA Nimh DD. It would be the cheapest option and should last a short while with good brightness.

Latest posts