"hidden" blinkie modes (D25LC2)

jeebus

Newly Enlightened
I remember way back hearing about flashlights hiding the blinkie modes so they're still available but not getting in the way during ordinary use. I thought that sounded like a great way to keep both sides happy in the great rift over disco modes. But the D25LC2 is the first light I've actually bought with that feature, and I have to ask -- what in the world were they thinking? The modes aren't kept the slightest bit out of the way: the way the D25LC2 works is the modes cycle
low - medium - high - low - medium - high - SEVEN disco modes - repeat
with no timer involved.

If you're only concerned with the use case of turning the light on and accessing brightness mode x the above is adequate (as is the traditional way without repeating the low-med-high sequence). But if you like to switch brightness modes while using the light this does nothing to help. The first time you cycle through it's vaguely convenient, then you continue your walk or whatever. Several minutes later you switch modes again and this time you're hitting the disco modes. IMO it should be a timed feature, eg you should have to cycle low-med-high-low-med-high within a second or two to hit the disco modes. The way they've done it on the D25LC2 was quite a surprise to me and seems mostly useless.

What do the rest of you think? Do you like the feature implemented that way? What about the various other lights that hide the blinkie modes? I expect there are lots I've never heard of; do the others do it the same way too?

mward94

Newly Enlightened
does the light remember the last mode it was in when powered off? so if you turned the light off in strobe, it will come back on in strobe the next time it is turned on. Because if that was the case the UI of this light would be tolerable.

Up All Night

Enlightened
If you hold the button in for a second or so during cycling the light will always revert back to low of the first sequence. May take some getting used to but I never get into the disco modes.
Actually, I shouldn't say never, if I haven't carried the light in a while it may take a couple of shots for muscle memory to kick in. I'm not a fan of reverse clickies but I can live with this UI.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I have this light (D25LC2) and mines a twisty not a clicky. The UI is not ideal but is ok. I just turn it off for 2 seconds if I get into blinkies.

It's ok around home but a great edc imo.

Edit: I meant to say it's not a great edc imo. :)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you hold the button in for a second or so during cycling the light will always revert back to low of the first sequence.

This.

Simply long press (like 0.6 sec) when you want to go down in lumens and short press going up. The short reset makes it one of my favorite UIs and now has me scratching my head why some other manufacturers use 3-4 second resets.

jeebus

Newly Enlightened
This.

Simply long press (like 0.6 sec) when you want to go down in lumens and short press going up. The short reset makes it one of my favorite UIs and now has me scratching my head why some other manufacturers use 3-4 second resets.

Yeah, that's probably the best way to use it. Also twist for high, loosen for low is alright depending on how I'm holding it. I find I have to long press quite a while (just over a second) to be sure I'm going to go back to low rather than getting a short press by accident, but yeah, I'd be horrified if it took 3-4 seconds to reset.

It's a pretty good light, I especially like the size, that's the main reason I got it. But merely cycling through low-medium-high twice before going disco is so not a solution to any problem.

I'm still curious about the various other lights out there that hide the blinkie modes: do they do the same thing? (I realize that's a vague question, answers welcome for whatever flashlights you happen to be familiar with)

supra1988t

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the D25LC2 but with my D25C clicky you can turn mode memory off so anytime you want to get back to low you just click off and click back on.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the D25LC2 but with my D25C clicky you can turn mode memory off so anytime you want to get back to low you just click off and click back on.

That's the same as a long half press, but wears the clicky out more.