techwg's Fenix PD35 video review/demonstration

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIr6JcvXyRM

Here is my video review/demonstration of the Fenix PD35. I know there are other reviews out there but I always do a review when I get a new light for my subscribers and the public at large. I have been very impressed with this light. While it may not have as nice of a colour rendition as the PD32 UE did, it more than makes up for it with the longer range beam and the higher perceived intensity that comes with a cool white vs neutral.

I am in the process of uploading a comparison video between the beam tints/colour rendition of the PD32 UE and the PD35. So stay tuned for the edit with that video.

Edit: As promised here is the tint comparison video between PD35 and PD32 UE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-P9d6A5Hpo

Also as a bonus I will include a video on a new maxpedition 5 inch holster I got for it which really fits very well and securely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWZmCAHyco

Edit 2: Here is a video comparing the beam sizes of the more spot-light style TK15 and both the floody type PD35 and PD32 UE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEfGobIZVo

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having some issues with a couple of my AW RCR123 batteries where in the lights maximum brightness sometimes it turns off after maybe 20 seconds or so, whereas the other couple of batteries I have do not do that. When I go to the fenix 18650 batteries are there likely to be any random issues like that or anything else I should be aware of?

kj2

Flashaholic
I have no problems with 18650's at all. But don't drop 2x RCR123 in your PD35. They aren't supported in that light!
Most of my lights are 18650-size.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for now it is all I have, except for my backup primaries. I am planning on getting the basic Fenix Charger and I am not set on 2600 or 3400 due to the cost. I may end up getting one 3400 to begin with, then get a couple of 2600's for backup purposes.

What do you suppose the downsides are to using RCR123 in this light?

CNR

Newly Enlightened
At 8600cd, it's even floodier than ZL SC600MKII (10000cd) isn't it ?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure of the meaning of the cd ratings. Can you give me the readers digest version of what the cd rating means? I know the PD35 is very floody but does retain a good central mass of light that can travel a decent distance. I would expect the throw to drop off far sooner, so I am impressed with the light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Well for now it is all I have, except for my backup primaries. I am planning on getting the basic Fenix Charger and I am not set on 2600 or 3400 due to the cost. I may end up getting one 3400 to begin with, then get a couple of 2600's for backup purposes.

What do you suppose the downsides are to using RCR123 in this light?

2x RCR123, gives more than 6V. Which can result in blowing-up your light.

I am not sure of the meaning of the cd ratings. Can you give me the readers digest version of what the cd rating means? I know the PD35 is very floody but does retain a good central mass of light that can travel a decent distance. I would expect the throw to drop off far sooner, so I am impressed with the light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Easy-to-Understand-Lumens-Vs-Lux-Explanation

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah thanks. Tomorrow I should be receiving the charger and a Cytac 3400 mAh battery, or the day after depending on Royal Mail. I will be getting more of those batteries since they test extremely well and are Panasonic under the hood.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we know if the PD35 handles unprotected cells in a way that prevents the cells from being over discharged and getting damaged? Like what the voltage cut off is for the light to not even power on or what ever it is?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still, that may be missed if you blink wrong. I am thinking more in terms of cut offs etc. Apparently some lights protect the batteries by not letting the voltage get too low or something. I have read comments like "Don't use unprotected until someone has verified it will protect unprotected cells" etc.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some math to try and figure out the usable light distances for the PD35. Based on the each brightness mode's percentage of light output compared to the top output and taking the cd rating and cd/throw calculation coupled with the rule of thumb "50% of rated throw is more accurate for real use" into consideration I have come up with the following distances for each mode:

Turbo 850 lumens 92 meters throw
High 450 lumens 67 meters throw
Medium 170 lumens 41 meters throw
Low 45 lumens 21 meters throw
Eco 10 lumens 10 meters throw
edit: so much for my nice tabbing to make it easily readable...

Now this is based on my assumption that the cd intensity value scales proportionately with the output mode and based on my experience thus far with the light I have to say the figures empirically match up perfect for me.

Edit:

After some messing around with the math, I have realised the calculation can be even easier. To get the 50% of full throw rating, take the cd intensity and just press the square route button. If you want the full actual throw as written on the box, multiply it by 2. Much easier than dealing with the extra steps to incorporate the 0.25 lux into the calculation. I have checked it and my way comes out to the same figure.

Edit: My calculations

To calculate rated throw from the intensity (cd) rating:
Type the cd intensity into calculator and hit the sqare root button that looks like a check mark or tick. Then multiply by 2 to get the official throw or ignore this step for the "usable" (50%) throw distance.

To calculate the aproximate intensity (CD) rating by just a rounded throw value written on your flashlight box:
Type the distance in and multiply it by its self and divide that resulting number by 4. The value will not be 100% accurate because the box of your light only shows you a rounded figure, else they would need to say "With a 185.4723699099140750503283214798 meter throw!" which would not fit on the box (this is the rated throw of the PD35)

To calculate the throw of a given mode of the flashlight:
Type in the number of lumens of the mode you want to check, then divide it by the total amount of lumens the light is capable of producing on full power mode. Hit M+ (memory +) on this value and multiply it by the intensity (CD) rating. Once this is done, press the square root button to get the "usable" throw at that distance, or for the official throw just multiply this value by 2.

Last edited: