Convoy M2 with XML-2 U2 LED - A Small Review

chang1

Newly Enlightened
I have not seen the M2 reviewed here so here is a copy of my review from W*buys as I think it is a gem!
Quality torch at a very good price
I bought this about a week ago to replace a Fandyfire V6-T60 which has served me well at work (refrigeration service engineer) for about 2 years. The Fandyfire has about half its anodizing rubbed off due to being kept in my pockets with tools and bolts etc. and gets dropped at least once a week while getting a lot of use. The M2 is still as good as new so the anodizing must be pretty tough. I also have a Fenix PD35 for out of work use which I will also use for comparison.
Good Points
Quality machining and anodizing - the threads felt good even without any lubrication.
Brighter than the PD35 although the hotspot is a bit smaller. Fenix quote 850 lumens for the PD35 and they are normally quite accurate unlike almost all cheap torches that are nearer half what they claim. So 800 lumens is pretty accurate. The Fandyfire is about half as bright and totally outclassed.
It comes with 2 bezels - I have enough things damaging my pockets so the flat bezel is my choice.
Tailstands well - the clicky rubber is not proud at all.
2 sets of modes with memory - no flashing for me but there if I need them.
The tint is whiter compared to the PD35 which looks quite green when seen together.
It looks and feels great.
Bad Points
The metal around the bezel is very thin. The Fandyfire has the same problem and the end broke off after a fall, hence the new torch. It is now held together with insulation tape to stop the lens and reflector falling out. The M2 is slightly thicker and a larger diameter so should be strong enough.
It is a fair bit larger than the other 2 but easily fits in my work trousers pockets - jeens pockets would be a tight fit though.
I have just had to tighten the ring holding the clicky in which unscrewed with the tail cap. The Fandyfire did the same thing and has not been a problem since being tightened.
As there is not any knurling it can be slippery but the fins on the head make it easy to pull out of pockets.
Summary
A great looking quality torch which is as bright as they claim and at a third of the price of the Fenix PD35 you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

chang1

Newly Enlightened
Here are some photos of the torches and I've added in the Fenix LD20 which is showing some signs of use. The bedroom light has five 9 Watt CFLs for them to compete with.
From left to right - M2, PD35, V6, LD20
M2
PD35
V6
LD20
M2 (left) PD35 (right)
From left to right M2, PD35, V6, LD20

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The convoy M2 can be had in the T6-3C, or the U2-1B bin/tints, and can be had driven at 2100 ma or 2800 ma.
Do you know which tint, and how hard is it driven?

I have the Convoy S2 U2 driven at 1400 ma and often recommend it. I like it and have many lights that are many times more expensive.

Edit... Oops! I just noticed that your title specifies XM-L2 U2

chang1

Newly Enlightened
XM-L2 U2-1A There was no info on the current drawn but I expect it has the same driver as the XM-L U2-1B on the F*tech website that is driven at 2.8A giving 700 lumens. I always look for value for money and specifications that are accurate which Fenix are good at. I have only just discovered Convoy and it is the first budget range that stands out from all the other ****fire etc. budget brands I have got through. I would still recommend the Fandyfire V6 as it has taken a lot of abuse and is still working fine even though it is now held together with insulation tape. The Fenix PD35 is amazing (despite having to cycle through 5 modes instead of 3) but now I have the M2 it seems a little overpriced or as I think, the Convoy is great value for the money. I have just seen A*zon have the S2 with the XM-L2 U2-1A LED, maybe it's time my wife had a new torch for her bike!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
While at this time fasttech has the S2 with XML emitters, illuminationsupply has them with XM-L2 emitters for a little more. IlluminationSupply is also priced lower than the ones currently at amazon.

I agree with you, in that I have a number of lights in the $65- $165 range, and while they are good quality, I'm thinking that they are over priced compared to SolarForce, and the Convoy series of lights.

ven

Flashaholic
Agree, i think the Convoys are excellent value for money,made up with the s8.

Just looking at the m2 and found it here:D looks like another convoy on its way.

ven

Flashaholic
I do have a Convoy m2 on the way which is "XML2 T6-4C:4300~4500k,white light,but Amber Shift" flavour :D

Lots of cool whites(which i love) so decided on a different tint.

ven

Flashaholic
M2 here and love it......more than the S8 which is a great light

Well made,thick walls and feels not much different to my olight m20 in build(which is a very solid light)

Beautiful tint too,warmer than the nichia 219(well if you like a warm tint)

bgm307

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Convoy C8 from FastTech. I wanted to try an order from China. I'm really impressed with the product. Good value.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my M1 U2-1B, M2 T6-3C, and S2 T5-5C and all are XM-Ls and 2.8A driver boards. Without going into details that have been covered here and on BLF, they're a lot of light for not a lot of cash.

Time will tell whether they hold up, or not, but fit and finish are there in spades.

The lanyards are a bit thin, the packaging is a white box with sticker and you don't get extra O-rings, or switch covers, but I can live with those nits.

They're very nice looking lights as well and with the M2, Convoy gives your a straight SS bezel and a crenelated one.

I like the choice of tints and driver boards, so it's a quite flexible lineup.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff Chris , I had a feeling you would be impressed with the convoys and tint options .Also I thing it's a great option for peeps to try /experiment with tints without a big outlay only to end up disappointed .

The m2 is still one of my go to lights (4c) it's just a great light.Just a little on the smooth side for grip but feels great in the hand .

get some pics of your convoy line up Chris .....pretty please:D

I find the mid size jetbeam holster a good fit,nice quality too for around $6

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
(ven, you and I keep appearing in the same threads. I appreciate your writing style!)

Sure, i have a bunch of lights and like them all.

My Convoy C8 AK47 7135*8 is a favorite (XM-L2 U2 1A), a genuine bang-for-the-buck winner! The thread above and my C8 lead me to exploring more Convoys.

Unless I am very mistaken (highly likely), I see that you folks are fishing in the neutral-warm pond. Do you find that the Convoys XM-L line in 1B, 3C, 4C and 5C choices range from neutral to warm.

Any Convoy experiences with their L4 line?

Thanks, and Glide Free!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I am very mistaken (highly likely), I see that you folks are fishing in the neutral-warm pond. Do you find that the Convoys XM-L line in 1B, 3C, 4C and 5C choices range from neutral to warm.

Thanks, and Glide Free!

I'm not really able to do beam shots, but I've got 16' high ceilings/walls in white and when I shine my U2 1B, T6 3C and T5 5C lights (all 7135*8) up at the walls, they run the gamut from rose to ivory to clean white.

I'm generally agnostic on tints, having only one 'NW' in my stable, but I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, so I experimented with these inexpensive lights and I'm happy.

I'm in the city with a lot of light pollution, so maybe I don't get to see the benefits as much as country folk, but I like the T5 5C rose tint a lot.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
(ven, you and I keep appearing in the same threads. I appreciate your writing style!)

Sure, i have a bunch of lights and like them all.

My Convoy C8 AK47 7135*8 is a favorite (XM-L2 U2 1A), a genuine bang-for-the-buck winner! The thread above and my C8 lead me to exploring more Convoys.

Thanks, and Glide Free!

:twothumbs burgh thank you,i also like my pics too and well known on the off road forums for posting 1 or a 1000 :laughing: a pic says a 1000 word imho,although i just dont have the time to set up properly with the d300 on manual,dark room etc as kids sort of put a stop to anything taking longer than a minute of my time :laughing:

I have the m2 in 4c flavour,love the tint and too add i am no tint junky but i am appreciating my different tints more and more,and as said in another thread i like variety.

I can thank you CPF guys for that,along with many other things in the education stakes:D

righty,bare in mind its on an iphone 5,no fancy photology here :D

4c is quite accurate on this pic

ceiling with a cool white roche f8(another good value light)

Just to note the f8 on right is not that blue,again its the phone

To note it (4c) is considerably warmer then the nichia 219,also considerably brighter then my m20 nichia 219.

imho its a must buy,i dont say that easy............:thumbsup:

The bosses s8 is a white,not too cool but sure they got the order a little wrong as wanted warmer...........either way its fine and she is happy.

Little guide to tints
Color temperature and Color BIN:
XML2 U2-1A:6500~7000k,cool temperature is the same as XML U2-1B,but lighter than it.

XML2 T6-4C:4300~4500k,cool temperature is the same asXML T6-4C,but lighter.

As you can see my m2 is 4c so 4300-4500k and its fnatastic imo
:thumbsup: and this is from a cool white kinda guy:)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a chart that RaceR86 made, showing some of the binns and tints for the XM-L, from his post in the Convoy M1 review on BLF:

AnsiwhiteXML_zps8353b138.jpg

I don't know how accurate it is, but it's pretty interesting.

Here's JohnnyMac's review on the M1 that the above comes from:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19202

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
I bow down Chris:bow: i spent ages looking for that tint diagram........

As for the review,what can you say/add i completely agree(not seen the review before now) just simply put as 1 of the best flashlights you can buy for the money imho.......the end,all i know is that the 4c tint is nice and warm,not sure on the chart tbh,does not make much clear sense to me but i am no tint guru .

Oh well,what next,i am liking the m1,think it will compliment my m2,just what tint?

Out of the various tints Chris you have,what do you like the most and why please,this will help me decide in the future convoy purchase:D

i can help with the 4c and say yes yes yes,recommend that,its great and i am more of a cool white guy(in higher output ligths anyway) in truth,nicer than the nichia 219 for me..........:faint: and i likey that a lot:naughty:

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
And while we're on the topic of tints, on the chart, which are considered "neutral?"

I'm holding off on purchasing the L4 or M2 until this thread plays through. (Unusual for me when it comes to torches; usually like-read-buy-think!)

ven

Flashaholic
I will go for 3c looking at chart,but dont hold me to that...........but i am sure a chart understanding tint guru will correct me:D

close,copy/ paste off FT site

LED: CREE XM-L2 T6 Neutral White (3B Tint)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
And while we're on the topic of tints, on the chart, which are considered "neutral?"

If you look where the black grid begins, you'll see a faint whitish band starting around .32-.34 on the Cy (vertical axis) and .30-.30 on the Cx (horizontal axis) and then moves slightly up and to the right to about Cy .37 and Cx .33.

It's really not a lot and that chart could be way off, or our monitors' color settings could be way off.

Chris

SmokinH

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Convoy M2 with XML-2 U2 to use as my edc. I currently use a fenix LD40.