XM-L2 in an XR-E 7090 Reflector?

Illuminated

Enlightened
How would an XM-L2 perform in a reflector designed for the XR-E 7090 (EZ900)?

I have a (3-4 year old?) 2AA light that's decent, but the tint is too blue for my liking. The beam profile is nice due to the textured reflector, and has a smallish hotspot with smooth transition to the spill area.

The XR-E/14mm MCPB looks like it would be an easy swap with an XM-L2 T6 3C LED/14mm MCPCB.

I would have ordered an XP-G2 instead, but I didn't find what I wanted on a 14mm MCPB.

I will have the option to cut down a Noctigon 16mm MCPB/XP-G2 R5 3C LED. Seems like that'd be a waste for an underdriven AA light, though.

I would expect the XM-L2 to produce a larger hotspot with more spill, but not necessarily increased throw. I would also expect the XM-L2 to provide greater overall output due to it's increased efficiency over the older XR-E.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

John

alphazeta

Enlightened
I have an XM-L2 in a Nitecore Extreme. The light now has a big hotspot. Rather floody. Lots of spill. I think the throw is less than it had with an XRE but not certain (no testing/data done.)

AZ

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
throw will always be a lot less. It ahs to do witht he XML die size.

In general i had god luck wuth the XML in XRE reflectors, especially the samller sizes.
But in my experience in P60 dropins the hotspot will be arger than in a similar XML reflector