Welch Allyn 1185?

tomthebaker

Newly Enlightened
Hello. Lurker new guy with a question:
I have a BlackBear Borealis 1050 converted maglight that runs on (9) 1.2v Santo eneloop rechargeable batteries. It is pushing a Welch Allyn 10.8v 1185 bulb. (35 watts

Where can I find more bulbs? I can't seem to find any.

Is there a brighter bulb (g4 base) that will work in this application?

An equivalent?

Thanks for your help. I really love the long throw of this light!

tomthebaker

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, fivemega. I had ordered some, along with another bulb from bulb connection, but they sent me an out - of - stock email. Hopefully it was the other bulb they were out of. I reordered the 1185 solo, so we'll see.

Are there brighter bulbs that would also work?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are much brighter but you will need 9 high current AA batteries or simply remove battery holder, using some spacer install 3 IMR 18650 or even 26650. Some tail cap spring work is required.

How about LiFePO4 (IFR) rather than IMR? I would think that the stable, NiMH-like voltage curve of IFR would be an advantage in an incandescent (vs the constantly dropping voltage curve of IMR). Also, although IFR 18650s have fairly low capacity, you can get 5000mAH 32650 Feilong IFR cells that would fit NICELY in a D Mag without having to use any spacers. The voltage of IFR cells also makes them pretty much perfect for running 12V bulbs or overdriving lower voltage bulbs with an extra cell (vs IMR).

Last edited: