Armytek Wizard Pro UI Issues

MugzillainManilla

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks. I replied with questions to a post or two dealing with Armytek Wizard Pro issues and am wondering if people have updates about their eperiences with the flashlight. Mine was received on December 6th but started malfunctioning on December 14th- the light gets stuck in "on" and can only be turned off by unscrewing the tailcap; the red light flashes seemingly at random- ie the light is not hot and the battery is fully charged. I'm using first class protected batteries and the light is clean. I've sent notice to Armytek and am waiting to hear. Any common experiences with the Armytek Wizard Pro??? Thanks!!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email Armytek customer service. I am sure they will help you out. That is the first thing you should do.

MugzillainManilla

Newly Enlightened
That is the first thing I did. Naturally. And I am sure they will be good. However, I am still looking for people's experiences with the light...

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help you because mine is still in shipping; it looks like it will be a while. But I'll be following this thread to see how this goes.

Fig

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for about 3 months with no issues, so far I love the light. I use it about 4 hours/week, not heavy use, but regular use. The switch light changes color when it is getting low and is green all the other times.

MugzillainManilla

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I am very interested in it myself as I already ordered a second one from Mackoutdoors for my wife!! I loved the light and the UI until this happened. Drag of course is that likely I will have to ship back to China etc etc... Time and hassle, but I just hope the one from Mack is without problems. Hopefully just one instance of bad luck because aside from the recent UI issues, it was a kick *** light with a great hand feel and a beautiful warm beam. Touch wood.

donscpoo

Newly Enlightened
The one I received from Illumination Supply on 3rd Dec is still running fine so far. It is not heavily used. I ran it on AW black 18650

TRiley

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine since September and have been using it all hunting season with no problems and have been very happy with the light.

MugzillainManilla

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear positive stories. Heard back from Sandra at Armytek who suggested it may have something to do with using a protected battery-- However, as you folks know, it says in the directions you can use either protected or unprotected as long as you program the light for the appropriate battery, which I did. I was also using HID Canada's Dark Matter 18650 protected 3100 mHa which is a first class American/Japanese battery. Anyway, I did what Sandra asked and reprogramed the light for use with the unprotected NCR Panasonic which came with the light and the results were even worse-- the light no longer enters moonlight mode, and even more worrisome, gets stuck in high mode and won't turn off. So it seems to me the electronics are defective and the light needs to be replaced, which is what I communicated to Armytek. Again, I am sure they will resolve the problem, particularly as I received the light less than 30 days ago, and their products are covered by a 10 year warranty. However, I think it is important to share information and experiences about the product-- that's part of the reason these forums exist after all. And so far Sandra has handled things well. Again, a real drag as I have another of the same light in the mail for my wife, ordered from the good people at Mackoutdoors. Touch wood that light doesn't give me problems as well!! As I said before, it is one sexy light and aside from this UI problem, I think it is a fantastic light.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Glad to see that you made out OK. Sorry that you had to go through the issues. Hopefully in the long run you will be happy with your light.

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what to watch out for when purchasing a Armytek Wizard Pro?

I understand that v1.5 is not out yet, but I heard about some changes/updates/bugfixes that Armytek has applied to the v1 version over time.

I'd prefer to buy from a local distributor instead of from the Armytek web shop, but how can I know/check whether the product I receive is the latest version?

Thanks a lot,

Newly Enlightened
OK, after some research I am able to answer my own questions:

Does anyone know what to watch out for when purchasing a Armytek Wizard Pro?

I understand that v1.5 is not out yet, but I heard about some changes/updates/bugfixes that Armytek has applied to the v1 version over time.

The problems that affected the first production runs of the Armytek Wizard Pro can be read about in the Armytek Wizard One Pro return thread. According to a post of Armytek in the CPF Marketplace those problems have been fixed since September 2013.

How can I know/check whether the product I receive is the latest version?

The simplest way is to turn on the Wizard Pro to turbo mode and watch what happens as it gets hot: "if you get triple flashing green then yellow then orange before the stepdown then you have an updated version. If it steps down just as the first triple green flashed starts then you have one of the original run versions." (thanks, RedForest UK!)

it seems that v1.5 will never materialize, but Armytek today mentioned an upcoming v.2 of the Wizard Pro.

Dragonfly Guy

Newly Enlightened
I am a new user and this is one of those threads that is/will be useful to me. I will be checking out other related ones as well. I hope to make the Wizard Pro my next headlamp over the next month or two (depending on shipping times) and to order it directly from the Armytek web store, as soon as the hiatus in shipping is done (on February 10th, 2014). It is reassuring to see that customer service seems to be excellent :).