Sf x200 build request.

lane478

Newly Enlightened
Long-time lurker. I have a X200a I really want to upgrade the led and driver (if needed) and keep the body and head the same. The reason is I have it mounted in front of my front sight on the top rail of my SBR. It is perfect. I would guess the x300 would protrude into my sight picture just a little to much and I actually like the TIR on that light. I can acquire and engage targets at across the room distance with outstanding accuracy. I would like to see output in the neighborhood of my D25c xm-l.
I guess the question is who can/would/ wants to mod my light? I am not familiar with the modders her and assume they are all well respected. There are just not enough results from a search to point me in a direction. Thank you guys and gals.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be an interesting project if it could be pulled off, as it is a very nice light. (I am not offering to do it) I used the search bar at the top of the forum to type in x200 and x200a and a page of threads came up.

The challenges of attempting such a project:
- The XM-L is a larger die, so the beam would significantly change, and might not even fit into that TIR optic.
- The particular LED package which was used is no longer available from most firms, so it would take some effort to find a similar mount
- The X200A and similar lights have a special holder to really hold the LED into the mount. This is done to avoid the LED coming off from recoil.
- That light is really compact to the exact size (which is why the newer models are longer). I tried to make such a light in the past, and was very impressed with how good of job SF and Streamlight did in building these very compact setups.
- Since the light is no longer in production, it is not so easy to obtain spare parts for it.

If a person is modifying their own light and makes an error, the option exists to toss it or buy / make parts. If you are working with someone else's light make and make a mistake, and no spare part are available, then everyone is unhappy.

You could try milkyspit and see if he would work on it, but I would suggest that if you really like this light, buy a used one and send it off for an attempt at modification. That way the risk is lower, and it certainly will take some time to dig up and test parts for it.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in attempting this mod. I need to do some research first and I am located overseas. I can go so far as designing a 100% custom driver if needed. I can't give any guarantees to turn around time, but plenty of fellow CPFers can vouch for me if needed :)

Cheers,

- Matt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk