Identify light - H502c or H502w? (Update: H502c now use Luxeon T!)

bitnick

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Update: The UK seller mentioned below really is reputable. We just both had a hard time believeing that Zebralight switched emitter type without updating their product specifications.

I've just bought a new Zebralight headlamp from a "reputable" seller i the UK. However, the box was missing the head strap and extra o-rings, the lamp had finger prints on the aperture glass, and the supplied AA battery was inserted into the lamp.

And I suspect I've also been sent the wrong lamp. I asked them to send the correct (and complete) lamp, but the only reaction was "If you're unhappy with the light supplied, please return it to us for a refund". (They claim to have compared the pictures I took of the package and lamp to the contents of one of their remaining lamps of the same sort, and that they're identical. Based on review pictures here at CPF though, this is clearly wrong.)

Before I go ahead and expose the seller, I want to be sure what lamp I have - and where better to do ask than here? :)

So, can anyone identify the emitter (and perhaps the model of light) in this picture? Please do not answer unless you're pretty sure.
zebra-5b_zps00d30184.jpg

Thanks,
Arvid

Last edited:

Enlightened
Re: Identify light - H502c or H502w?

I'm tempted to say that is a Luxeon Rebel emitter with the large gap left around it in the glow in the dark cone. For what it's worth my H502d did not come with a battery.

bitnick

Newly Enlightened

I've done some more digging. The emitter actually looks exactly like a LUXEON T/TX (see e.g. Philips home page). The seller has agreed to contact Zebralight and ask about this - it seems likely that they've updated/upgraded the H502c (the model that I bought), without updating the data on their homepage. If so, the image in my first post shows the "new" H502c!

The seller also claims that the accessories - head strap and o rings - must have been missing from the factory, and that they are happy to supply these to me (without cost, I presume).

Regarding finger prints on the light, this seems to be a quality control problem with Zebralight (I even found someone that had gotten a Zebralight with fingerprints on the actual emitter!).

I'll keep you updated...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zebralight.com does say the H502c the emitter is a Philips Luxeon Rebel:

from the spreadsheet:
H502691Cree XM-L656300Flood112600.90.013 mo0.842.7615/28/2012
H502c691Philips Rebel
854000Flood111450.90.012.8 mo0.842.7616/22/2012
H502d691Philips Rebel855000Flood111700.90.012.8 mo0.842.7616/22/2012

From the H502c page:
Main Features and Specifications
  • LED: Philips LUXEON Rebel Neutral White (Typical CRI: 85, Norminal CCT 4000K)

• User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels or strobes.
  • Light Output
    • High: H1 142 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 94 Lm (1.9 hrs) / 62 Lm (3.3 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
    • Medium: M1 36 Lm (7.5 hrs) or M2 18 Lm (12 hrs) / 9 Lm (27 hrs)
    • Low: L1 1.8 Lm (4 days) or L2 0.34 Lm (2.8 weeks) / 0.06 Lm (1.8 months) / 0.01 Lm (2.8 months)
    • Light output are ANSI out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
  • Operating Voltage Range: 0.7V - 2.5V
  • Battery: One 1.5V AA (NiMH, lithium or alkaline). 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Batteries are not included in the package.
    [...]

The battery is not included, however, and never has been in my experience. Perhaps you reseller does his own QC before shipping and left the battery in. Can't say anything about the missing head strap and o-ring, but it is possible someone just forgot to put them back in... or not... It could also be a returned item that worked just fine, so they re-sold it. I'd give it a proper series of tests just to be on the safe side; runtime test, under water test for an hour under water, 14500 test and mode-switching tests.

Enlightened

I've done some more digging. The emitter actually looks exactly like a LUXEON T/TX (see e.g. Philips home page). The seller has agreed to contact Zebralight and ask about this - it seems likely that they've updated/upgraded the H502c (the model that I bought), without updating the data on their homepage. If so, the image in my first post shows the "new" H502c!

The seller also claims that the accessories - head strap and o rings - must have been missing from the factory, and that they are happy to supply these to me (without cost, I presume).

Regarding finger prints on the light, this seems to be a quality control problem with Zebralight (I even found someone that had gotten a Zebralight with fingerprints on the actual emitter!).

I'll keep you updated...

It looks like you're correct with the Luxeon T. I had thought it was just a Rebel with a different mount. It looked too small to be a Cree XM-L2.

bitnick

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight has now confirmed the update to Luxeon T. From the reseller:
We have contacted Zebralight about the LEDs /.../ It is as suspected an update to the LED using the Luxeon T.

I guess this is good news - Luxeon T is a bit more efficient than, and has at least as good CRI and CCT characteristics as, the Luxeon Rebel, if I understand correctly.

I'm a bit suprised that Zebralight silently switches the emitter in a product such as this - clearly aimed at us "flashlight nerds" who actually care about lumens, CRI, and CCT - without even updating the product data on their home page! It would have saved both me and the reseller a lot of time and trouble.

It's also weird that they seem to "forget" accessories like the battery, and even the headband, sometimes. I guess they have some work to do on their "packaging line".

All in all, the UK reseller has been great, although we had a bit of a "misunderstanding" there for a while. I guess they too found it difficult to believe that Zebralight didn't deliver to specs.

Thanks for the comments/input!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Zebra is rush rush rush. I now remember one of my headlights was supposed to come with both black and GITD holders, but one of them was missing. I never bothered asking about it, though.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe you are right. They must sell a bunch of lights because everyone is always out of stock.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like you're correct with the Luxeon T. I had thought it was just a Rebel with a different mount. It looked too small to be a Cree XM-L2.

Yep, the rebel is a oblong shape. I thought it could be a rebel plus but that still has the oblong shape so Luxeon T it is. Nice increase in lumen/W efficiency although comparing that to the rebel plus rather than rebel ES as the plus has figures at a realistic 80 degrees C.

We need new specs Zebralight!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

These look like a pretty interesting headlamp. The web site specs specifically state that it does not come with a battery.

I am debating between the H502A (5000K / high CRI) and HL502C (4000K / high CRI). I have been considering building a light with those LEDs and this makes my life easier.

piang829

Newly Enlightened

I am debating between the H502A (5000K / high CRI) and HL502C (4000K / high CRI).

I am also debating wether to get a 4000k version or the 5000k version. I am worried that the 5000k will have too much of a blue tint and the 4000k having too much of a yellow tint. I want to use it for nighttime fishing, and nighttime hiking. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am considering of getting the h502c L2 or the h502d L2. I like natural looking colors, so does that mean I should get the 4000k version?