L4 vs. e2e

traci

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light to replace my 10 year old 6p for edc. I want something smaller and close to 6p in brightness. I am going crazy deciding between the L4 and e2e. I am used to my 6p and my 8x and am worried I will be disappointed in the throw of the L4. I am not a flashaholic so I will probably not buy another light for a long time so I don't want to make a mistake. What should I do?

paulr

Flashaholic
If throw is an issue, better stick with the E2e. You might also look at the A2, which is about halfway between the E2e and the 6P in size, but has both LED's for low level illumination and a xenon bulb for throw.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
traci,
If you NEED throw, get the E2e. You can always get a KL4 head later on if you decide to.

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Traci,

If throw is top priority, then e2e is your choice. But I would not pass up the L4 too quickly. With the L4 you get the same overall brightness (lumens) but the output is regulated so that you know that you have nice constant brightness during regulation. If your light is for walking or general purpose, then I would definitely recommend the L4.

Erik.

paulr

Flashaholic
As an alternative to getting an E2e and adding a KL4 head, you could get an L4 and an E2c adapter instead. That will let you use your 6P head on the L4 for when you want throw.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
My choice would be an E2e with an extra KL4 head (I think Tactical Warehouse sells them separately). A bit more expensive, certainly, but incredible flexibility between the "wall of light", regulation, and whiteness of the L4 and the long, tight throw of the E2e.

jaws

Another thought: the Dorcy Spyder (at around $15) has incredible throw (twice that of the E2e, in my experience, and that of FlashlightReviews.com). Why not the L4 for your basic light, and a Spyder when you need long outdoor throw?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
The G2 is about the same size as the 6P and relatively inexpensive at ~$30, it uses the same lamp assemblies as the 6P. It is also virtually indestructible.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Look at the A2 - its got the throw of the E2E, its got the regulation of the L4 for consistency and it has the leds for non throw applications.

I use mine about 50% on incandescent and about 50% on Leds.

Great light.

j

torment

Newly Enlightened
I used the L4 for 4 days or so in a passaround and i'm happily awaiting one for christmas. i am selling my E2e to my friend because the L4 had enough throw for me to distinguish objects. the L4 just had too many pluses for me to keep the E2e around...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll second the suggestions for the A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the beam is very similar to the P60, albeit a little less intense and you'll have the LEDs to use for low-level illumination.

rlhess

Enlightened
I have the L4 and had an E2e. I was impressed enough with the L4 that I put a KL-1 on the E2e for a longer run-time backup light.

The E2e starts losing output after 10-15 minutes, while the L4 keeps the same level of output for an hour.

The L4 will fill a 25x20 room with light--enough to see almost anything.

The L4 doesn't throw that well, but then again, the E2e is not really a throw light like the SRTH or the Streamlight TL-3.

The L4 is my most-used light yet. I'm using it so much that I just ordered the Pila 168s from the new CPF banner advertiser JS Burley's --that way, I won't be going through $2.50 worth of batteries a week in the L4.

Cheers,

Richard