My L4 EDC Rig, with Extras - Revised

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it'd be fun to share my EDC and backup rig with you guys. It is based around the SureFire L4 Digital Lumamax. Here's a picture of all the components.
fa5567a6.jpg

The EDC part of this rig is laid out on the left hand side of the Pelican MicroCase (thanks to Kevin at BatteryStation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). It centers around the RipOffs CO-73 belt clip pocket tool and flashlight holster. In the tool pocket, I have a Leatherman Wave. In the flashlight loop, the L4. The Glowring X2 is clipped via a small split ring to the lanyard loop of the Wave. It is there for two reasons. First, it's cool because it glows in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Second, because the tool pocket is deep, it lets me grab onto something so I can draw the tool easily and quickly. I can't say enough good things about the RipOffs holsters. The steel belt clip is strong and fits securely but allows easy removal. The ballistic nylon body is tough and the velcro closure is ample. The Wave fits precisely. The flashlight loop is slightly large for the L4 body (it's designed to fit the P series) but the short clip allows for reasonably secure fastening and rapid deployment.

The backup part of this rig is laid out in the storage area of the Pelican MicroCase. This case is small enough to tuck in a glove box or large coat pocket. All items snuggle in custom configured Pick-n-Pluck foam. At the top is my spare Pila 168S lithium ion battery. This is the cell I regularly run. A second unit is installed in the L4. Below the Pila are four SF123 cells. In total, I pack 3.5 hours of power. Below the batteries on the right is the SureFire F-04 holographic beamshaper. It slips onto the bezel of the KL4 and provides a super smooth field of light for close-up work.

To the left of the F-04 is my alternate head. This little beauty is a KL4 modified by Chop to run a TWAK Luxeon 3-watter. The work is professional grade, you'd never be able to tell the head didn't come like this. It uses the stock circuit with the exception that the current is pushed to 900mA. Because of this, the unit is suitable for use only with single cell torches such as the E1E/TW4 or E2/L4 body on a li-ion cell. It throws a tight, bright hotspot that is solid as opposed to the dark-centered donut of the 5W in the stock head. In actual use, the L-III seems to be just as bright as the 5W, just more tightly focused. For all you guys looking for better throw and a sharper beam but want it in an L4 form-factor, I think this is the ticket. Here's a close-up of the LEDs in each head. Stock on the left, L-III on the right.
fa55693f.jpg

Ok, so how do the heads and filters work. Here's a "real life" working shot of the lights in use. This photo is of the lights shining on a page in a road atlas. The light is 18" directly above the page. As you can see, the L4 hotspot, as wide as it is, is pretty bright and would not be suitable for close-up work. The addition of the F-04 filter softens things up considerably. The TWAK is just crazy bright and tight. All photos in a set shot with locked exposure and are unretouched. Left to right: KL4 (stock L4), with F-04 filter, TWAK L-III.
fa553d70.jpg

This next series of photos shows the lights aimed at a plant on a shelf about 10-11' away. The L4 spot is wide. The F-04 creates a dimmer but very diffuse field of light. The TWAK lights up the plant and just the plant brightly. Same picture order as above.
fa553d6e.jpg

So that's it. The TWAK in the KL4 head keeps its promise of a tighter, throwy configuration. Strangely enough, I've gotten so used to the fat, donutty hotspot of the KL4 that I'm thinking about selling off the TWAK head. Ah, well, I guess that's what B/S/T is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey
Ok,
I did sell my TWAK KL4 after all and in its place, I bought an E2E head and am sending it out to be turned into an E2E+ running a P61. I've picked another block of foam to accomodate the MN03 LA, rotated the SF F04 beamshaper and spaced the batteries apart to make it easier to insert and remove them. Also, put the SF123s in a single slot so they can be replaced with Pilas as necessary. Here's the pic:
fa4534ac.jpg

Wilkey

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: My L4 EDC Rig, with Extras

Ginseng,

Nice rig! I like it a lot!

If you like the beam of the KL4 and the intensity/color of the TWAK, I recommend using a Frean LP on a TWAK because that would be exactly what you would get.

The Fraen LP has an ever so slightly larger hotspot (although with no spill) than the L4 that is much brighter when driven at the level you have. It won't throw as far as the TWAK in the KL4 head though.

The TWAK driven at between 900mA to 1A coupled with a Fraen LP is really a combination of the two KL4 heads you have. Maybe you should think about getting the Fraen LP TWAK setup in a KL1 (although it would get warm fast)?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting,

I thought the F-LP had an even tighter hotspot. I knew about the lack of spill though. Thanks for the idea to consider.

Wilkey

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool... how much would you be selling the TWAK for (if you do sell it)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice idea w/ the glowring, I think I'm going to have to try that.

-Mike

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

Neat and sweet! I'm impressed. You're always ready for any kind of action on a moment's notice with this setup.

The TWAK head has a beautiful beam. I can't imagine why you'd want to give it up, unless it's because of the requirement to power it with less than Vf and the resulting loss of battery versatility.

Paul

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

1 word... *drool* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif THanks for sharing that, Wilkey... great stuff!

762x51

Newly Enlightened

Very nice kit! Where does everyone get the Pila 168s from? I can't find it on their website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

762x51,

DPR sells them in the B/S/T Forum. I think he has 4 left.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark_Larson,
Yep, tyler is right on target. I got extra foam inserts so I can run different setups as the circumstances dictate. Can't get much more flexible than that. BTW, Batterystation has a lot of other stuff besides just batteries and he keeps a secret specials page for CPF. How nice is that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Xrunner,
The Glowring works well as a handle. I've also used an ARC AAA there as well. Unfortunately, I found that the supertough HA3 finish on knurling tends to shred, well, most anything with which it comes into repeated contact.

Stanley,
Once you've got the lights, it doesn't cost much to carry them in style. I think the CO-73 was $8, the Pelican case was $12 and the foam inserts $4. That's downright economical considering the value and utility of what's inside.

762x51,
Pila have removed the 168S and 150S (the 17mm diameter needed for SF123 replacement) from their website. Don't know how permanent that is. In any case, CPF member JonSidneyB will have his commerce website up shortly and you can get them from him. Check out JSBurlys.com.

PaulW,
It does have a very nice beam. But I've found that I've gotten used to the fat spot of the L4 since I've been using it so much. I don't even notice the donut unless I shine it on a blank surface. As for the battery flexibility, that's not really an issue. The 168S serve fine. The only thing I worry about is that I might accidentally drop in 2x123 and power up the TWAK. I don't even want to think about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice setup, but I have to tell ya after looking at your beamshots I prefer the standard head to your modified one.

Does the modded one provide noticably more throw? Your second set of photos it's hard to tell if the beam is brighter or just smaller.

GregR

roguesw

Enlightened

Ginseng, i thought you could run the kl4 twak version on 2x123 safely as it is still using the original circuit just boosted to 900mA? if it was changed to a badboy then i could understand. is it a badboy?
Des

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Double_A,
The beam is definitely brighter. Meaning, if one were to take a lux reading at beam center (or even slightly off center with the KL4 as the dead center is a bit dimmer than the donut), the TWAK would register higher. By what degree, I cannot say as I do not have a Meterman. Unfortunately, I had to group 3 images into one picture to conserve Imagestation space. The individual images show the difference more clearly. It does appear to throw farther, at least out my backyard window. Keep in mind that the KL4 reflector is miniscule and is the limiting factor in reflector efficiency no matter the emitter.

Roguesw,
It is the stock circuit but modified by Chop to run at 900mA. He advised that I not run it on 2x123 so I'll take that advice. I believe Sway did a destructive run test of a TWAK on 2x123.

Surefarc,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you close the case, does anything rub against anything else?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

ChrisM,

I don't store the holster in the case with the stuff on the right. There wouldn't be room in the 1020. That is all my backup gear. The holster is always on me. The rest of the stuff has plenty of room and doesn't even contact the rubber padding on the cover. They're nestled snugly in the PnP foam.

Wilkey

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahhh...ok
That makes sense now. I've been wanting something like that for a while now to carry my accessories with me. Thanks!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I modified my initial post in this thread to reflect a change in my backup configuration. Removed the KL4 TWAK and added an E2E+.

Wilkey

JanCPF

Enlightened

Inspired by Ginseng I made this light rig out of a Pelican 1020 micro case:
surefire.jpg

The dividers are cut out from the foam backing of a mouse pad and glued together. The rig consists of an L4, E1e and KL1 with R2K high dome modded by CM (2 hour runtime on a Pila)

Jan