Tiny Lights With Punch! Am I The Only One?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really a sucker for tiny LED lights with punch. I've tried all the big powerful incandescent lights now such as the M6 and the UBH with 1X123 extender, (12V), with KT2 turbo head and MN60 and MN61 LA's. They were nice but believe it or not, left me unimpressed. After trying the "big guns" I've settled on my black G2 with a black KT1 turbo head and N1 LA converted to 5W with MM 750 as my "big" light. Still sort of small but a nice throw and perfect round, white beam and so lightweight!

I guess I'm a confirmed LED junkie now but really like lights that are TINY and produce an inordinate amount of light. I'm one of those "weirdoes" that doesn't like the ARC AAA or ARC AA because their output really is lacking and I'm tired of blue or violet LED's. I have an old ARC-LS and it is nice! Sure, it's blue, but it's also very bright! I also have an old E1 with a KL1 head that I modded with an R2K and it is so white with such a wonderful beam!

My favorite really TINY light right now is lamda's Nano-Mate with turbo head conversion. So tiny and really bright and white for it's size. I had one of lambda's Micro Illuminators and it was great but was just a smidgen too large, (oxymoron here!). I'm anxiously awaiting a couple of lambda's Pico-Illuminators!

I know this is a contradiction considering I just stated that the MI was too large but I also love my L4. What a great light with a big room-filling bright beam that is so nice and really a handy size for the light it emits.

I now have a DSpeck Firefly coming and can't wait! It's just a tiny bit larger than an ARC AAA and tons brighter. I'm going to mod it however to be a bright as it can be!

I can't wait to see what our great mooders here on CPF will come up with in the next couple of years especially with LED technology marching on as it is! Maybe a Pico-Illuminator with a beam brighter and with more throw than a L6! Yeah, bring it on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I now

HunterSon

Enlightened
I have an E1e conversion made by Chief_Wiggum that uses a direct drive T rank R/O luxeon with a Vf letter of H and it is insanely bright (smokes my MM+WO Q3J). It uses an McFlood reflector and will light up a large room (20'X12') from end to end when pointed at the ceiling. Small and very bright!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I tend towards ...
1. small and reasonably bright for EDC: Firefly, Arc LS, ...
2. mid-sized modular concept with more punch, McLux, E-series,... this one allows a more serious use of the power than the tiny lights while still pocketable
4. tiny and dim for backup on longer journey: AAA, AA
5. the fun part, monster lights: HID, M6

my point is that I think the tiny monsters cannot handle the high output for a reasonable runtime and heat build-up and are thus not adequate for a daily use.

then again, you could say "why did you buy that 5W Arc LS drom Jets22?" Wel ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm itching for the
--- wristwatch searchlight
--- diamond ring with LED backlight
--- for formal wear (as if!), sets of cuffLEDlinks
--- any other kind of ring incorporating a tiny LED
--- LEDs that really do fit in my eyeglasses up by the
hinges, no glare in my eye at all
--- sheets of printed semiconductor wallpaper
--- tiny LED grains I can sprinkle with a saltshaker
--- A little LED with a heatsink I can tuck into an inflated balloon, and let go at night, that will keep itself up in the air brilliantly

What I used to think of as the future went by long ago. Now I'm just waitinig, amazed, as the rate of change of the rate of change keeps on keeping on.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a small one at Gallyans (hunting/camping store). Best guess it is 3x watch batteries and an LED. thats it. about 1/4" dia and mabyee 3/4" long. AND it even comes with a hat clip. Thats what I can guess. I couldent get the store demo unit open. really bright, but I wouldent risk my life on the run time. really neat thought, but not for 13.99. with NO extra batteries.
Jeff

mst3k

Enlightened
Sounds to me like you need to be on Mr Bulks list for the Super Baby Pin! I have the Baby Pin and it is the brightest small lite I have. The Super Baby Pin is supposed to smoke that! I can't wait.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
nothing rocks a mini-hid light =p 500lumens in a small package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

my favorite edcs are the firefly with MM+/R2H and the McL4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not concerned about runtime, Mr Bulk's upcoming Super Baby Pin would be the go!