Mabyee it's the beer...

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mabyee it\'s the beer...

Hey, I got a question for yall... I just bought some of the Dorcy 1xAAA L.E.D. lights. I am trying to write down the driver, but I guess I am getting old( or the 40oz is kicking in), Anyhoo, I know the Satcure driver has 1 transistor with a doubble winding coil ( 1 driver 1 feedback) and the Brinkman driver has 2 transistors and a single winding coil. The driver in the 1xAAA Dorcy has a single transistor, single winding coil, and what looks to be a diode (can't be sure). Has anyone reverse engineered this and if so can they post it. Upon further thought (smoke break) is the 'diode' looking component some kind if intigrated component??? Also I found a way to make a better 'spot' from this flashlight. Using the lens assemble from one of those el-cheapo earing clip on lights on the end. I will post pics later on....

Here is a pic of a slap together with a AA holder, Brinkman driver and 3x true green LED's. If I could make the driver board even smaller (and not have to wind any coils) that would be great.

IMAG0006.JPG

Jeff

Jeff

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mabyee it\'s the beer...

[ QUOTE ]
WildRIce said:
Hey, I got a question for yall... The driver in the 1xAAA Dorcy has a single transistor, single winding coil, and what looks to be a diode (can't be sure).

[/ QUOTE ]

The diode is a diode, that "transistor" with terminals marked BCE as if it were a transistor is actually a 3 terminal stepup switching regulator IC.
See the following threads:
Dorcy circuit
Modding the Dorcy circuit
This is a great little circuit for the price IMHO.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

neat. I like your ____ (forgot the name) switch. tact is it?
Pics of it on? you can make output greater too and mod these circuits.

I wonder what they do with 3v?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the first brinkman style driver I have made. Hell of a time to tune up. Overdrove a single green (nice teal color) 2 would have been perfect, but since my kids would be playing with this one I opted for 3. I useually wind my own doubble coils for Satcure drivers. This driver is really close to the one used in white led lawn lights, and they are using 2.4 . I dont see why it cant be pushed. I built a satcure for 1.5, but ended using it at 6v for a 12v array. runns great. I'll post some 'on' pics, or mabyee I'll just wait till I build the same style but on an 'N' cell holder with a white or two.
Jeff