12mm x .5 tap and die for mod to CQG S2

MasonSteele

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the flashlight community, but am a moderatley experienced builder and like to think I'm pretty handy. I'm trying to make an extension tube for the
[h=1]CQG S3 AAAAA CREE XPG2 R5 4A NW[/h]from CN quality goods. I believe [...hope...] the threading on it is 12mm x .5 but I'm having the damnedest time finding a tap and die set for it. I don't want to cut them on a lathe at all. I have found what I need on ebay, however I don't trust the HSS tools from China to be able to handle cutting stainless steel. After searching on the forums I have found a lead on the proper tap from MCS (http://www.mscdirect.com/product/04995924?rItem=04995924) however no luck with a die. Do any of you modders know of a source for quality nonstandard thread cutting tools?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had really good luck finding metric products at a firm called Maryland metric. I think it is mdmetric dot com. Their web site is a bit overwhelming, but my experience is that if you call them, they can find most anything - really fast, even some really obscure screw metric screw sizes.

I didn't look, but McMaster also carries a lot of metric tooling.

If you cannot find it at those places, then the next stop might be to have a custom tool built for you. I know in areas like Toledo, OH, it is really common to have tooling made for a project, but I assume other areas as well.

What might also be helpful, is that CPF has a section dedicated to the more "machining" side of flashlight building. It is here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ted-Materials-Mechanical-Machining-Discussion

Last edited:

MasonSteele

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Harry!

I'm headed to Baltimore for the holidays so I gave md metric a call. They've got what I need though it's darn expensive through them. Might have to give the McMaster tap and eBay die a whirl first. Also, thanks so much for the tip on the machining subgroup. I'll be heading over there presently!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that you were able to find the tooling, cost is always a different matter. Tooling cost is one reason I am so interested in cnc machining rather than manual machining.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcmaster sells metric, 12x1mm is the smallest thread step for 12mm size for normal taps\dies.
12\0.5 you most likely need to cut such thread on a lathe. there are pbly custom dies\taps this size, but at the cost.
we have members on this forum that do custom work and use lathe, ask them to make it, pbly be cheaper than special size die\tap