Photo Freedom saves the day

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been sitting home for two weeks now after a hip replacement, today was the first trip outside to the doctors office. I was dressed in sweat pants and tshirt , having left my coat, and thus my Preon II in the waiting room. While sitting in the office the lights went out. The examination area, being on the inside of the office had no windows so the exam area was pitch black, either the emergency lighting was not working or non-existent will have to look next time. Lucky I had dropped a new Photon freedom covert nose NV green in my pocket last week after getting it from the Black Friday Battery Junction sale. I had been playing with it ever since like we all do every new light. I popped it out of my pocket and clipped it on the walker bag using the little clip attachment, All walking has to be done using a walker until further notice. Next thing everyone one knows a walker with a headlight is taking people out to the sunshine lit areas. Some people are amazed at how little you actually need to actually see your way out, those tiny lights have never let me down and are always super easy to have around.

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
The Photon's don't get much love here for some reason. I have 2 Freedom's set to auto off & really like them. We got a lot of lumen snobs here that think if its not 200 plus its worthless. As you have seen in total dark a lower lumen light works just fine! I wonder what happened to all the 1-2 lumen guys that used to post here? Thanks for posting!

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I often carry a Photon Freedom as my neck light. For urban everyday use I switched to a Quantum D2, but when off grid (camping, hiking etc) I switch back to a freedom. I've carried them for so many years and they've never failed me. Not super bright but they last forever.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The little Photons have never failed me in perhaps 20 years, the vast majority of my daily lights use are below 25 lumens, even my morning paperwork and inspections. Higher lights don't do a better job of it, its all pretty close work, so why waste battery life.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Great story. :) I enjoy real life stories of flashlights saving the day, thanks for the post.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Photon's don't get much love here for some reason. I have 2 Freedom's set to auto off & really like them. We got a lot of lumen snobs here that think if its not 200 plus its worthless. As you have seen in total dark a lower lumen light works just fine! I wonder what happened to all the 1-2 lumen guys that used to post here? Thanks for posting!

That really only happens when someone tries to convince someone else that they don't need as much light as they do. I have a ton of these wee lights though, and they are great for just what was described here.

If its pitch black, and you only need to see a short distance to get out, a candle is enough light....and the photons/fauxtons, etc...are better than that because you won't catch fire.

:D

I keep them all over too.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Good story...and a notable point...it's always better to have any flashlight on you rather than no light at all.

A while back I put a Photon on all of my keychains. They're super lightweight, unobtrusive and actually put out a good amount of light in pitch black settings like you found yourself. The Photons replaced some Streamlight Nanos...much prefer the button activation of the Photons over the twisty action of the Nanos.

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Your right a small light with you is better that a bright light at home. My Freedom is a handy addition to my keychain.
I say this just after I ordered a 4xAA 980 Lumen light. I have been reading this forum what can I do?