ld41 vs ld41 u2

drmax

Newly Enlightened
Besides the lumens...is the u2 a newer torch? It states 680 lumens, where I see some reputable sellers showing 520. This is confusing. Can anyone clear this up. Fenix website shows basically just a lumen difference. Thx, DM

Enlightened
Besides the lumens...is the u2 a newer torch? It states 680 lumens, where I see some reputable sellers showing 520. This is confusing. Can anyone clear this up. Fenix website shows basically just a lumen difference. Thx, DM
The 520 lumen version is the older model that uses the first XM-L emitter. The 680 lumen version is newer and uses the XM-L2 emitter. The U2 model actually drives the LED harder for the two higher settings so you get more lumens but less battery life. The lower two modes have roughly the same battery life but slightly more output.

drmax

Newly Enlightened
The 520 lumen version is the older model that uses the first XM-L emitter. The 680 lumen version is newer and uses the XM-L2 emitter. The U2 model actually drives the LED harder for the two higher settings so you get more lumens but less battery life. The lower two modes have roughly the same battery life but slightly more output.
Just ordered the newer model. Thx DM

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
Not to high jack the thread but is it possible to upgrade the original LD41 to the newer XM-L2 emitter??

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to highjack the thread but is it possible to upgrade the original LD41 to the newer XM-L2 emitter??
If you don't mind voiding any warranty then it's possible, provided that:

a. You know how to open up the head assy to access the LED, without damaging anything;

b. The LED is not mounted onto a custom-sized PCB. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the original emitter from that PCB and remount the newer one via reflow soldering technique.

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind voiding any warranty then it's possible, provided that:

a. You know how to open up the head assy to access the LED, without damaging anything;

b. The LED is not mounted onto a custom-sized PCB. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the original emitter from that PCB and remount the newer one via reflow soldering technique.

Thanks for the reply yaz! Thats probably a little more than I want to tackle plus I like the run time on the original vs the newer model.