Conversion of a 6 cell Maglight

flashlightening

Newly Enlightened
I own a 6 D cell Maglight which I have kept for 23 years for no other reason than that I suffer from the disease of chronic flashaholicism. The device is a monstrosity and I don't use it of course, but I have been thinking it might be fun to covert it into a powerful LED. I can't do the work myself because, as much as I love flashlights, my technical talent is limited to being able to put the batteries in properly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, flashlightening! :welcome:

Well, the possibilities are endless depending on how much work you want to put into it.

For mine, I chose the easy route... Malkoff Drop-in. Was lazy and got the cut-off reflector from them too. Was going for dependability and minimum fuss over crazy output. Incan to LED - the installation took mere minutes. :D

Oops... Overlooked that yours is an older 6D. The Malkoff drop-ins are designed for the more recent 6Ds. Older 6Ds will require an additional adapter sleeve.

Here's a rather informative old thread that is pretty useful:-
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lite-LED-and-incan-mods-and-drop-ins-Overview

Last edited:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
In before StarHalo shows up and recomends you spend $30 at a big box store for a new LED 500 lumen light. ;)

Seriously though the Malkoff drop in is probably going to be your best bet. I don't have any great electronic skills but I've been able to do some LED mods myself. Just need a heat sink, an emitter (LED), a soldering iron, and a dremmel tool. and some wire of course.

flashlightening

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I still doubt I'll do the modifications myself for fear of causing an explosion or something (kidding).