Emergency Preperations and disability

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching the weather news today and given my current state of being gives rise to yet another issue with my current disability, have had recent hip replacement and am unable to walk without walker, bend, stretch, or reach. Accessablity of current items which may be needed in the next 12 to 24 hours. With what looks to be a massive ice storm bearing down, the need for portable heaters, generator, and other items is a distinct possibility, fine, I have to nice ones. But, they are currently located in an area I cannot reach given my current limitations. With my wife at work, 50 miles away, and the ice slated to start within the possible next 5 hours, we could lose power almost any tie after. IF she makes it home, not a given, she could be forced to stay at work if it gets real bad, there is no way that I could reach the heaters, batteries ad fuel for them. Neither can I go car and get out the bags of salt she picked up yesterday to deice the walk to make it safe for her.

It is obvious to me that some better thought has to be given to how preps are stored and their reasonable acessablity and use under all situations and health conditions. Lucky I am not without options, I can easily bundle up, and ride out any storms, just not as comfortably as I might, and the cats might have to sleep under some blankets.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How well do you trust your neighbor? It seems to me that what you need is someone nearby on standby to help you during a disaster in case your wife can't come home to help you herself. This is where personal relationships with family, friends, and close neighbors are essential. Most likely, you'll let your neighbor know what preps you have and if you can't trust them you'll really be in trouble. It seems like you have the essentials and are prepared to survive the disaster. Your neighbor has the means to access your preps for you. You may want to call your neighbor and see if they are available to check in on you after a specified amount of time (call before the power goes out or you're screwed). If you call on a neighbor for help, it would be best if you have supplies for them as well. A neighbor may be more willing to salt your walkway if you have enough salt for their walkway as well. If there is a blackout, you might get more help if you can help your neighbor with lighting, batteries, power, and heat. This may require them riding out the storm at your house. Start by calling a nearby neighbor you trust and ask if they would be willing to salt your walkway for you. This may require you to pay them for the work. Then ask if they could check on you shortly after the time you expect your wife to be home. If they don't have a flashlight, at least give them one to borrow so if the power does go out, they don't get hurt trying to come check on you when the power goes out. When the power goes out and they come to check on you, you'll have to let them access your preps to set you up for heating and power. Be willing to help them out as well. I hope all goes well for you.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a similar boat, I need a wheeled walker for more than 4 or 5 steps. Any further than that and I'm in major pain. I need to buy a gas or diesel generator with an electric starter, there is no way I could use a rope start. I cannot fathom even moving a bag of salt let alone spread it on the sidewalks. It's a good thing I live a wee bit south of Michigan and still have my cold weather gear from being stationed in the youper at Kinchelow just south of the Soo.