New SureFire products for 2014

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
With SHOT Show right around the corner it's almost time for us to see the introduction of the latest SureFire products. As we already know, all of these products won't make it onto retailers shelves but it's always interesting to see what the future might hold. Today SureFire published a couple of photos via social media that may give a little hint of what is in store . . .

HellFighter 5 anyone? With the HF4 rated at 3000 lumens and having an MSRP of $6,460, what could we expect from the next generation?

i.php

And a sneak peek of their printed catalog on the presses . . .

i.php

It's hard to tell much from the photo but it appears to show the Fury family of lights along with the EB1 and EB2. I can't tell if the 2-cell Furys are rated at 500 or 600 lumens as listed in last year's catalog. It also looks like it include a couple of "new" Peacekeeper models, one of which has a different style tailcap (maybe it's a weapon light?). I'm looking forward to seeing what is presented at SHOT Show.

In possibly related news, the strobe version of the M3LT, the M3LT-S, is no longer listed on the SureFire website which might indicate that it won't be around much longer. The fact that these, along with some other SureFire lights, have been selling for much lower retail prices would also seem to indicate this is the case (or it could just be a coincidence).

Until more info is available, I've started working on my own personal "wish list" for the 2014 offerings:

1. More "new" products actually make it to market!
  2. The P1R Peacekeeper
  3. Tailcap alternatives (or a redesigned tailcap) for the UNR Commander and UBR Invictus. The 4-way tailcap is pretty slick but it severely limits how the light(s) can be carried.
  4. Better accessory support for the newer products. This has been pretty poor for several of the new products introduced over the past couple of years with limited, or no, availability of things like filters, holsters, or alternative tailcaps.
  5. Is it too much to wish for some lower prices?

What about everyone else? What would you like to see in 2014?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
quick thought: that possible hellfighter 5 pic seems to indicate to me that theyre changing how they will do serial numbers. no more A#####?

WDR65

Enlightened
The picture in the middle of the catalog page looks like the Peacekeeper.

I for one am hoping for an updated U2. Perhaps even an version similar in size an E series.

On the E series note. I would love something with comparable output to the G2X with its neutral tint in an L4 like light but with two stage output.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I thought the Aegis/Isis looked really interesting. We'll see if those make the catalog this year. (If not, I need to find out how to get a prototype!) The programmability they advertised last year would also be nice to see.

I would also love to see them introduce something to replace the T1A. Without that, they don't offer any keychain lights.

yowzer

Enlightened
I'd like to see a R1 Lawman with a TIR optic. And cheaper.

Second vote for a for a T1A replacement. And an AZ2 with a brighter high mode.

carrot

Flashaholic
I want to see Surefire work more on compact lights. We used to have really cool little pocket lights like the E1e and now when we look at the EB1 that thing is MASSIVE.

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
I want to see Surefire work more on compact lights. We used to have really cool little pocket lights like the E1e and now when we look at the EB1 that thing is MASSIVE.

You are correct. Everything Surefire is putting out these days seems to be bigger than the previous version.

I would like to see an updated T1A as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
quick thought: that possible hellfighter 5 pic seems to indicate to me that theyre changing how they will do serial numbers. no more A#####?

Could be. I think the HellFighters used an "H" prefix instead of "A" or "B" like a lot of the handheld lights.

I was a little surprised to see how high the number was as the prototypes usually have low numbers. In fact, the number (S/N 131213) made me think of a YYMMDD date based serial numbering system but it would still need a string of numbers after the date to identify the specific light, unless they are making only one per day :D Also, those numbering systems often use a single digit or character for the month and/or year.

The picture in the middle of the catalog page looks like the Peacekeeper.

I for one am hoping for an updated U2. . . .

I agree it looks like the Peacekeeper although the engraving looks a little different than what was introduced last year. Looking at the layout of the catalog, I think it appears that there may be more than one variety listed this year, maybe "tactical" and "pro" versions?

I was under the impression that the P1R was going to be released late this year so hopefully it's almost ready. However, past history has shown that being "almost finished" is no guarantee a light will make it into circulation (thinking of the LX2 Ultra) :banghead:

Stainz

Enlightened
I like the idea of an updated - please not enlarged - T1a. As to prices, the Invictus was out of my range - until an early fall sale to clear old stock at a local shop - and their units were the old $500 MSRP - then half off - still $272 with s/t. That is a lot for us mere mortals!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

There was a time when this annual thread title would have excited me. The above reason is partly why I hardly bothered scanning what surefire is claiming to offer next year. Even if half don't turn out to be lies, I knew there'd be nothing for me anyway given the direction their lineup is headed lately in that respect.

Those of you holding out for an updated t1a, if it ever happens, you can prepare your collective ani for a >1" diameter titan with a cliff-dive runtime curve!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the P1R is basically a slightly brighter Fury designed for Li-Ion?

That's kind of how it was introduced last year, or probably more accurately, a stripped down R1 Lawman without the built in charging circuitry. The thing that generated the most excitement was a comment made at SHOT Show that it would run on 18650's. Of course nearly all of the larger rechargeable lights use 18650's (Lawman, UNR Commander, etc.) but they are made proprietary by the addition of special terminals on their ends.

If SF holds true to what was mentioned last year I would expect that the Peacekeeper will use either a) a conventional 18650 or b) the same battery as the other SF rechargeables. Of course solution "a" would make most of us the happiest but "b" would require the introduction of a stand-alone charger for the battery which could be a benefit to some users of the other SF rechargeable lights. Or who knows? It might not even get released! :ohgeez:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's kind of how it was introduced last year, or probably more accurately, a stripped down R1 Lawman without the built in charging circuitry. The thing that generated the most excitement was a comment made at SHOT Show that it would run on 18650's. Of course nearly all of the larger rechargeable lights use 18650's (Lawman, UNR Commander, etc.) but they are made proprietary by the addition of special terminals on their ends.

If SF holds true to what was mentioned last year I would expect that the Peacekeeper will use either a) a conventional 18650 or b) the same battery as the other SF rechargeables. Of course solution "a" would make most of us the happiest but "b" would require the introduction of a stand-alone charger for the battery which could be a benefit to some users of the other SF rechargeable lights. Or who knows? It might not even get released! :ohgeez:
I like that SF is starting to embrace Li-Ion. I'll probably just buy a P2X and a Fivemega 18650 body though, instead of getting my hopes up for something that may never come to pass.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wishlist would be

- A charger to charge the rechargables of R1, UBR, UNR without using the flashlight
- spare rechargables
- Finally the UN3 Commander using 3xCR123 and UM2 Ultra (both from 2012 catalog)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wishlist would be

- A charger to charge the rechargables of R1, UBR, UNR without using the flashlight
- spare rechargables
- Finally the UN3 Commander using 3xCR123 and UM2 Ultra (both from 2012 catalog)

if the UM2 Ultra is what they were pitching as the next U2, then I completely agree with you!