• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired McLux Brushed Aluminum BB750 w/ Q3K Sold

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a head that McGizmo originally built back when the 5W emitters were all brand new. It originally had a very /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif emitter in it. I thought it was a shame to waste such a nice head on a below-margin emitter.

I have since removed the greenie and replaced it with a nice Q3K high dome that is almost a warm white.The head is bare aluminum that is brushed (I think it may have been a prototype... Don?) and fitted with a McFlood. It hums right along with a great spot and flood pattern. The finish isn't 100% either, but can be brightened up with a little steel wool. This should be run only on 1x123.

As I am really only trying to recouperate most of the clams I shelled out originally, I am asking $90 shipped for it if paid via PayPal cash transfer. $95 for credit cards. International (most countries) will be $100 even.

I will include a new (untrimmed) Fraen optic for some throw, but I must warn that they are difficult to center up on the emitter.

Posts here take precedence, not including questions.

Thanks for looking.

OH, here's a couple pics:

Proto1.jpg
Proto2.jpg

It also looks smashing on a SF Winelight body as well.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: FS: McLux Brushed Aluminum BB750 w/ Q3K

Uh, that head is a pre production sample for the very first McLux run if I recall correctly.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, 2x123 or 1x123. It's the same brightness on either.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a one-watt emitter, right? Won't 2x123 damage the BB750 since Vin > (Vf+0.5)? Even if it didn't the BB would go into direct drive mode, and I haven't heard of any one-watters surviving 2x123 DD for more than a second or two. Even the Lux III can't reliably survive 2x123 DD from what I've heard.

jtice

Flashaholic

I agree with tyler.
That thing should be dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

There was someone selling a 5W with BB750 a few weeks ago, that said you could use 3x123's. Which should blow it up also.

Was that you Beretta? lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Since Don (maybe even Leo) built it originally, he may remember better -- or not, but I do know the following:

The board is made for 6V and was marked as 5W and 6V. It was driving a lower Vf 5W emitter and would not run on a 1x123 body. It ran fine on a 2x123. I've replaced the emitter with a Q3K, which is pretty close to the Vf of some of the older, original LxV's. I wish I had checked the Vf and mA readings before I soldered the - lead to the emitter.

I had also thought I could put a 5W emitter in it as well, but I didn't have one available and the Q3K seems quite happy. I compared the beam to my black McLux 1x123 with the black bead-blasted head and the beams are now almost identical.

jtice

Flashaholic

AHHHHHH thats why.

OK, well, the BB can only BARELY except an input Voltage over the LED Vf.
But, still the Vf of the Q3K would have to be up around, 5.8 volts, and its NOT.
So I really dont see this working.
We are talking well over a 1 volt difference. That will EASILY blow a BB converter.

Have you Actually ran it off 2x123? Or do you just think it will?

If you havent, DONT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Originally,

I believe this was a 5W build. I agree that using 2x123 on a 1W is likely to let out the magic smoke.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK then. I will make the adjustments to the listing. I could just put a new 5W LED in it... if I had one. I just ordered some more LxIII's and some other goodies. I should have gotten a couple 5-watters.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take it!
pm sent