What flashlight is standard issue for your law enforcement organization?

Archimedes of Syracuse

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post but i've been a reader of the forum for awhile now. I'm a corrections officer with my sheriff's department and I was just wandering what other departments, whether city, county, or state, hand out as their duty flashlight? Our department's duty light is the Surefire G2 Nitrolon, thanks for the replies ahead of time.

Last edited:

TheVat26

Enlightened
Pelican 7060. Even though pelican has recently upgraded it, they still make the original version for us with the simple on/off and momentary.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
WE issue a Streamlight SL20X and a Surefire G2Z for the belt that doubles for mounting on the patrol rifle.

Gear guy

Newly Enlightened
My Department doesnt issue flashlights, however over the past several years it has been mandatory to show up to the academy with a Nebo Redline Select as part of your gear, back when I started it wasnt mandatory but everyone had the Streamlight Stingers.

wedlpine

Enlightened
My department has the Streamlight Stinger DS mounted in the squads. Otherwise you can use whatever you want.

I like to change things up and bring different lights in all the time. My very first duty light that I purchased myself was a Magcharger. Still have it, don't use it much though. Looking to ugrade it to LED.

Bought a 5.11 UC3.400 Light For Life when they came out. Liked the idea of getting a full charge in 90 seconds. Not very bright, even in high, but I like it for what it is.

Archimedes of Syracuse

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Like I said we are issued the SurefireG2 Nitrolon, but I don't actually use it. I tried the Nebo Redline for a little while, but I had other guys who carried it and the plastic indicator ring broke on them. So since the G2 Nitrolon runs on two cr123s and our department issues the batteries to us when we need new ones I started carrying the Maglite Mag-Tac Crowned Bezel. I love that flashlight and it can take a beating! As my back up light I carry the Mini Maglite LED that uses 3xAA. I know Maglite isn't the most loved brand here on the forum but I have had great experience with them.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archimedes - look into an LED upgrade for your G2. Personally, I'm a big fan of Malkoff dropins, but there are others.

The drop-ins aren't cheap, but between the free CR123s and the performance, I think you'll really be glad you did. You will also see a massive jump in runtime over the old incandescent bulbs.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Stingers are popular for departments that issue, but most guys have to get their own lights for carry.

BOHAWG

Newly Enlightened
I have many friends that are in law enforcement and the standard among them is the Streamlight Stinger DS LED Rechargeable.....

Bronco

Enlightened
I live in L.A., the land where the politicians have determined that the police can be trusted with handguns, shotguns and assault rifles, but not a metal bodied flashlight. Honest to God, you just can't make this stuff up.

CounterAttack

Newly Enlightened
Pelican 7060 also. Although it's rated on the pelican website as a ~160ish lumen light it is a power house. It has GREAT distance and I believe it is really really underrated.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a LEO, but in WA the police are issued either Magchargers or Pelican 7060
some of the forensic guys have a bigger pelican rechargeable (a bit smaller than a magcharger)
These are typically in chargers at the station, and grabbed when needed.
a lot of cops I see have their own lights too, typically Surefires or LED Lensers, although I have seen Inovas and Fenix too.

TheVat26

Enlightened
I live in L.A., the land where the politicians have determined that the police can be trusted with handguns, shotguns and assault rifles, but not a metal bodied flashlight. Honest to God, you just can't make this stuff up.
Absolutely correct! We are limited to 6" in length on metal lights, must be very lightweight, and can't have a crenulated bezel. However, we are authorized to carry a knife.

The Pelican 7060 isn't the best, but it does give enough light for anything Ive had to deal with. Very handy that every car has (2) chargers mounted in them so you don't really have to worry about battery life if you're diligent about topping it off every day along with carrying a trusty 2X123 light as a backup.

Ishango

Enlightened
I'm not a LEO myself, but have spoken to some people on the force here in the Netherlands. Also check out Grizzlyb's topic on strobe it mentions one of the lights used by the Dutch police force as well.

In my area the officers used to be issued a Fenix P3D and later followed by the PD30 (I've seen some of those in use this year). I don't know what the current issued light is, but until this year at least it was organized per region.

The Royal Marechausee (Royal Marshals/ Royal Military Constabulary) aren't issued any flashlights. They have some Maglites in their vehicles and offices, so they have to supply their own.

The city surveillance people in Amsterdam (couldn't find a proper translation, but it is not a police force; they have some law enforcement tasks to support the police force) carry Olight M20/M21's on their belt (easily distinguished due to Olights specific holster design).

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that is great. I have heard of some departments having such regulations. Oh the irony of carrying a baton, gun, taser, pepper spray, etc. and not being able to have a metal flashlight. I shall say no more on that regard.

The local Sheriff's Office issues their Deputies the Pelican 7060. The other local departments do not issue duty gear and it is up to the officer to acquire his/her own gear. I actually am glad I got to pick all of my own stuff although the cost is not fun. The squads all seem to have either Streamlight SL20X or Maglite Magcharger rechargeable lights in them mounted in the 12 volt DC charging base. Oh, and they are the older incandescent models not the newer LED variants.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
My department issues a Fulton...yes...all of probably $10.

Everyone I know buys their own. In fact, when we get to low light training in the academy we make fun of anyone who shows up with the issue light.

Archimedes of Syracuse

Newly Enlightened
I know a couple of my guys carry the Streamlight Stingers. They seem to be happy with them. I don't have a lot of experience with rechargeable cells unless they are AA or AAA.