side switch in a TR-J19

gumby223

Newly Enlightened
So I've been researching for my next light and I have an idea for what I'm looking for, but I need some advice from yall about how to proceed. Let me give you some background info. I bought a TK75 and love it, except that the tube is too big around (too large diameter). My TK75 is for sale by the way (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...brand-new-Fenix-TK75-and-extended-runtime-kit). So, I'm looking for something to replace it. I'm almost dead set on getting a Trustfire TR-J19, with the intention of modding it. I like that it's tube has a smaller diameter, it has good heat sinking properties, it's easy to mod, deep reflectors, three emitters, can use various sized cells (18650, 26650, and 32650?), and it looks like it's just the right size/shape for me. I've been doing some other mods and I'm confident that I can mod it with three new xml-2's on 20mm noctigens, a new driver, and larger wires.

The only thing that bugs me is the tail switch in this size light. I would like to fabricate a way to delete the tail switch (should be easy), and install a side switch (not so easy). I would probably have to fabricate a tube extension and a switch holder to fit inside the extension. Don't know how to do this, but I know someone with a lathe that could help me out with this fabrication.

I would even be interested in buying a different flashlight (maybe this one? http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/small-sun-zyc56-3mode-cree-q5-led-flashlight-3xd-p-7530) and using that tube to mate to the head of the j19, but who knows if they would mate up and work???

So basically, I want a J19 (or similar light) with a side switch. Any suggestions?

gumby223

Newly Enlightened
Since I'm not getting any responses regarding the j19, has anyone fabricated a side switch on a flashlight that originally came with a tail switch? Looking for some input in general in that regard.

Tiresius

Enlightened
That's a little unusual to accomplish than usual because the tube is usually machined to reduce as much weight as possible. Therefore, broaching the ID of the tube to accept a side-switch becomes difficult. It's possible but you'll be looking into a custom body itself for this project if the original tube does not have enough meat to do the mod.