Identical Flashlights with Different Tint

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I have two Fenix E35 flashlights. The first one arrived about two weeks ago from Fenix Store, and the second one arrived a couple of days ago from Fenix Store. They are both great flashlights, though the first one has a cooler tint than the second one. The first one has a cool white tint, while the tint of the second one is comparatively warmer, with more of a neutral white tint. When comparing the two lights on a white wall, the first one has a nearly perfect hotspot, while the second one looks even better, with a perfectly uniform hotspot. Based on a visual inspection, the two lights appear to have the same Cree XP-E emitters. When I run the two lights side-by-side on low (7 lumens), the cooler white flashlight appears to be a little brighter than the neutral white flashlight. Neither light seems to have any coloring to the beam, such as blue, green, or yellow.

As a point of comparison, the first E35 appears to be slightly cooler than my E21 (the second edition 170 lumen version). The second E35 is perhaps slightly warmer than the E21. I am quite new to quality flashlights, so I don't know of a better way to describe what I am observing. I hope this makes sense.

Is it normal to see a tint variance between two identical lights that were purchased so close together? I don't see either one as being defective. The light with the cooler tint works well on my bicycle helmet as a secondary light. The cooler tint seems to carry farther, allowing me to run the E35 on medium. I have a Serfas headlight on the bike that works well for primary lighting. I think the second E35, with its more neutral tint, will work better as a general use light to EDC in my pack, as colors seem to pop better with the neutral tint.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
This drives me CRAZY!!! Totally normal, unfortunately. For example, I had to purchase 5, yes FIVE Fenix PD32UE torches until I got two that had a remotely close to matching tint. They're pretty close, but one is still pretty cool compared to the other.

Don't get me started on my Zebralights :)

With Cree pumping out a gazillion LEDs each month, you're going to have tints all over the place unfortunatley.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
This drives me CRAZY!!! Totally normal, unfortunately. For example, I had to purchase 5, yes FIVE Fenix PD32UE torches until I got two that had a remotely close to matching tint. They're pretty close, but one is still pretty cool compared to the other.

Don't get me started on my Zebralights :)

With Cree pumping out a gazillion LEDs each month, you're going to have tints all over the place unfortunatley.

For me, I kinda like the different tints, as I use the lights in very different ways. I also have a PD32 G2, and its tint seems to be more of a neutral tint, identical the second E35 I purchased.

markr6

Flashaholic
For me, I kinda like the different tints, as I use the lights in very different ways. I also have a PD32 G2, and its tint seems to be more of a neutral tint, identical the second E35 I purchased.

I knew someone was going to say this. But I'd rather have the option to choose my tint, not play a lottery and waste money hoping I'm getting the "right" tint for the job.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
correct,
but that is ONLY possible when one gets P60 inserts with a led of a specific bin/tint
(= f.e. from nailbender)

with "ready made" lights, it simply is normal that there are variations ...

chazz

Enlightened
But I'd rather have the option to choose my tint, not play a lottery and waste money hoping I'm getting the "right" tint for the job.

Indeed, hopefully this is something that will improve, and the sooner the better. :)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received 2 Surefire Titans and they are clearly tinted differently?
I have just decided to like them both. On the other hand the warmer one seems less bright too but I am already used to that from other warm tinted lights that I have.

It is frustrating to know they just assemble the lights seeming to pay little attention to this detail,unless you get an HDS or other unit where they offer this matching as a feature.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, there is a range of tint that a LED reel will have. The mass manufacturers will use reels with a wider range than a custom maker that orders a specific tint bin which will have a much smaller range of difference between emitters. This is what a lot of CPFers refer to as the "tint lottery".

markr6

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, there is a range of tint that a LED reel will have. The mass manufacturers will use reels with a wider range than a custom maker that orders a specific tint bin which will have a much smaller range of difference between emitters. This is what a lot of CPFers refer to as the "tint lottery".

I keep playing the lottery...I need to stop!

LedTed

Enlightened
A minor point of clarification, the hot spot has more to do with focus than tint. But the beam color is binning / tint lottery.

I have more than one NC D11.2. Each has a slightly warmer or cooler color than the next while one will have a green tint and another will have a blue tint; as compared one-to-another.

As already mentioned, the only way to avoid this is to have tight binned and tint matched LEDs preselected; as with custom products.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
A minor point of clarification, the hot spot has more to do with focus than tint. But the beam color is binning / tint lottery.

I have more than one NC D11.2. Each has a slightly warmer or cooler color than the next while one will have a green tint and another will have a blue tint; as compared one-to-another.

As already mentioned, the only way to avoid this is to have tight binned and tint matched LEDs preselected; as with custom products.

4 preon heads, each with a vastly different tint. I've got hints of lavender, cool icy blue, pale sky blue, and an interesting neutralish cool white with a hint of green.