cordless drill to flashlight - where to start?

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
I have a 12 volt drill that died mechanically. Got the brainstorm,or is it fever, to turn it into a high-powered light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The only problem is I don't know much. I removed the guts,and am left with a shell,battery,and trigger.The front opening is just about 3D Mag size(the lens actually snaps in snugly). I'm thinking about using a 3X3 LS disc from Elektrolumens,and wiring it either parallel or series.I know I'll need a heat sink and some sort of voltage regulation.I think I want to go 3W,since it throws a tighter beam than 5W(I think).I've been told that 3X5W is too hot for even a 6D Maglight,although Inretech sells them with up to 6 5W. I'm at the "little knowledge" stage in this line of tinkering.I believe the drill body is ABS,and hope it can take some heat.Brainstorming is what I'm after. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Thanks,
John

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
True- that would be an easy way to do it.I was thinking about using LEDs to get some longer battery life.As it happens,I have some MR 15 bulbs on hand.It's a good place to start. Thanks,Quickbeam.
John

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
Yeah-incredibly hot, too. I mocked it up an hour ago,holding the reflector in place with my fingers. It's way bright! I knew from working with these lights in my kitchen ceiling that the bulbs run dangerously (no exaggeration) hot.They also have a number of warnings about shattering,need a glass lens over the reflector,and can't have the bulb or inside of the reflector touched. I've bought some that have the lens as part of the unit,but others don't. These are around 8 years old, too.I'm thinking about some double-walled tubing to mount the bulb in,or a fan. I'm thrilled that my first mod is showing potential. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif