Anyone else just love looking at there Arc AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I do! It just looks so good! the anodizing on mine is nice and dark and matches up pretty well with the head being slightly darker.

Can't wait to really put the light to use with a lithium AA on my backpacking trip in 2 weeks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mattman

Enlightened
I would say that the finish and design of the AA is equal to or better than anything in the Arc line. The tube itself is very nice and has a good feel to it. From an aesthetic point of view, I like the proportion of the head to the body better on the AAA, but it looks nice on the AA too. To me, the AA combines the good basic design of the AAA with the smooth finish and gnurling like the LS, making it a very nice light.

stockwiz

Enlightened
I love looking at all my flashlights. I just got a CMG Ultra "government" and I am really having a blast with that light, as well. Love the beam, love the way it looks with it's sleek dark green design. Love the dark red of the Arc AAA CPF version on my keychain... love to stare at that big maglight with a 5 watt luxeon in it and play with it at night... and most likely going to love the Arc LS when it arrives in the mail in about an hour, playing around with it using AA batteries for half the evening until the batteries run out.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the AA also. It has become part of my EDC. I ordered some of the glow disks and put one on the bottom, works well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It definitely is a classy piece. Almost too nice. I'm still babying mine. It never goes in a pocket with anything else.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Just got my Arc LS today, ooohhh!!

I ordered 2 of them tritium glowsticks for my keychain too. Just to see what the fuss was about, I couldn't resist eating one, but the other one is on my keychain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
4x4, where ya going to backpack? Anywhere around here (Upstate)? The AA is a great camping/backpacking light. Light, tough, long stable burn time, waterproof, and with just the right amount of output for anything nearby. I do, however, recommend that you also carry at least one backup battery, take care to not overtighten the head when turning the light on, and don't lend the light to anyone. Battery crushing reports are rare, but you wouldn't want to take a chance in the outback. So...you're camping Christmas day? Best, Dave

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'd agree that its a nice light, but I personally feel that comparing the old style lug tailcaps and the new flat ends, the old style makes the light look more solid. The new design is great, esp with the grooves for the split ring to rest in so that the light can stand up on end (ingenious I'd say!), but somehow it doesn't make the light look or feel as 'solid' as the Arc AA with the old style tail end (I think there were some of these made in the initial batch) or the Ultra G.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the quality and built of the light, and I love mine, but it just doesn't look as 'rugged', that's all... anyone else feel that way?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Dave Wright said:
4x4, where ya going to backpack? Anywhere around here (Upstate)? The AA is a great camping/backpacking light. Light, tough, long stable burn time, waterproof, and with just the right amount of output for anything nearby. I do, however, recommend that you also carry at least one backup battery, take care to not overtighten the head when turning the light on, and don't lend the light to anyone. Battery crushing reports are rare, but you wouldn't want to take a chance in the outback. So...you're camping Christmas day? Best, Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother and I will be going to the Shining Rock Wilderness area in the Pisgah Ranger District. The Arc AA won't be the only light im taking. I take more lights than ususual because I like to use as many of my many lights as possible when i get a chance. This trip i will be taking the following lights(i pack lightly in other areas, my pack should weigh no more than 35 lbs this time around-not ultralight but good enough):

Blaster Jr.-lithium AA's
Arc AA-lithium AA
Arc AAA
Arc LS-bringing along 2aa TSP for backup after 123 is spent
Angelux-original batteries from last backpacking trip-they should still hold with this Runtime Beast
Arc AAA turquoise with Garrity Funtastik diffuser for tent light

Yes, trip is on Christmas holidays.....don't celebrate Christmas.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an Arc AA, but I do love looking at my Arc LS. Ah, such beauty in a practical, useful package. Sometimes I just like to whip it out of my pocket and stare at it (and, of course, play with it).

If I had an Arc AA, or any Arc for that matter, I will undoubtedly do the same.

Spade

Newly Enlightened
I also bought my AA with the backpack in mind. I have always been the minimalist sort, so the AA and the LSH-P will be more than enough light. Believe it or not, I have only ever taken a Mag Solitaire on backpack trips of years past. Crummy little light in a fantastic package.

One thing...
I am unclear on all the bin numbers and such. My CPF AAA seems to be brighter and whiter than my AA. Does the AAA Premium have a better LED?

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Spade,

Some samples of the CPF/Premium AAA happen to have higher bins than the AA. There is also a fair amount of variation within each bin. The AA drives the LED harder though; same circuit but the AA battery keeps its voltage better under load than AAAs.

The result of this is that some people have reported that their AAA is brighter than their AA but these people seem to be in the minority. Most have found the AA to be brighter. My AA is about 50% brighter than my 2003 CPF Edition AAA. This difference is exacerbated in my case by the fact that I run my AAA on NiMH and my AA on lithium. Under those conditions the AA is almost twice as bright. It's in a whole different category. I use the AAA as a dim movie theater light. It is also, being rechargeable, in the rotation I use to power my nightlight. I use the AA for evening carry around the house.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do,
Very classy light on my keychain and perfect for the "non-blinding EDC light" I was out of town the last couple of days and used the AA for several hours, it sat on a table and softly lit up my hotel room. Nothing like a light that is powerful enough to use at night with great runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
The BB500 R2H Fraen was the big dog though, the other guys want several of them. I told them to wait for an Arc LS4 with the 2AA tailpack. They have no idea what that is but they know it is expensive.
The Arc AA just feels right in the hand, I love that little guy.

Spade

Newly Enlightened
Dave, Thanks for the info. It really seems as if there is a significant difference between my two lights. Both are plenty bright for most of my needs, though. I also purchased a AAA as a Christmas present. Do you think the AA will be brighter than the standard AAA?

I guess I could run a test or two, and close the package back up.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Spade,

The AA will almost surely be brighter than a standard AAA. Plus you can feed the AA lithiums for much flatter output as the batteries age. Lithium AAs are expensive, but you'll get about 6 months @ 5 minutes per day, presuming you don't crush the batteries somewhere along the line. I run lithium in my AA.

Spade

Newly Enlightened
Well, I did test the AA against the standard AAA for brightness. They seem really close, and the AA has a pinkish tint. I will have to look at battery types a little closer to see what will work best with the AA I guess. I really do like the design of the AA over the AAA.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.