Bad R2H?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I just finished a McLux using a R2H. The color output is very purplish. I once bought a Micro Illuminator reject from Lambda and that R3J had the same color output except the beam was horrible (not from the reflector). My R2H in question's beam is ok, it's just got the purplish hue and kinda seems like it's not as bright as it should be but I can't tell for sure. Seems like my Q3J is brighter but with the different color hue it may be deceiving. Maybe it was mis-binned but I think the case is I just lost at lotto. I need opinions please:
Ditch the R2H for:
Q3J or
TW0V

going on a 1x123 MM+
txs.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my R2H emitters were slightly greenish in color, and the "2" color bin is supposed to mean the emitter tends toward the green side of white. Sounds like something's wrong. Or maybe you're not heatsinking the emitter well enough, and it's putting out an "angry blue" color?

Maybe some other folks could share their R2H experiences, too...

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I didn't think there was really any green at all in my R2h until I compared it to one f MR Bulks first LGI's and It now looks pretty green no doubt.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had problems with every R2H that I've ever gotten my hands on. Either not very bright or a greenie or both. the R2K's that I've seen were much better and all of the Q3J's that I've seen would blow the socks off of an R2H.

Sounds like you got a bad emitter.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only R2H is an amazingly bright, white one.
I'm sorry to hear that you got a loser in the luxeon lottery.
I'd say try the Q3J. (By the way, is the "V" in the "TWOV" a typo? Seems like an awefully high forward voltage when compared to the "T" flux.)
Pat

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 R2H, one has yellowish white color and the other is a more white color, more toward 3. Both is brighter than my Q2J, no doubt. However, the yellowish R2H is worse than Q3J, in brightness and in color. However, the other one installed in MM is brighter and Whiter (maybe because it is brighter) than my best Q3J. Afterall, it is lux lottery.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
I'd say try the Q3J. (By the way, is the "V" in the "TWOV" a typo? Seems like an awefully high forward voltage when compared to the "T" flux.)
Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, yup that was a typo, That would be dreadful to have a VF of V. Meant TW0K, hehe funny "V" ain't even close to the "K" on the keyboard, what was I thinking?

All the "R"s I've had never even had blue tints in em'. The one in question is straight up purple. I never lost the luxeon lotto as bad as this time.

Guess Q3J it is then. Seems like a Lux3 would be a waste (well not really) when a 1w will handle the job in this case.

Any pointers on getting the emmitter and optics centered well? I'm using a PM emmitter board in the standard McLux head as tylerdurden recommended and got the emmitter as centered as much as I possibly thought but getting that damn Fraen optics centered is a biatch. Almost makes me wanna throw a LD in it w/NX-05 but I like the Fraen's beam more by far.
Flashlife can be a biatch sometimes but not often.
txs

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dark, I have problems centering the Fraen LP, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I always end up with the circular hotspot sitting toward one corner of a square that I believe is a reflection of the square die inside the LED. Try as I might, I never seem to get the hotspot centered in that danged square!

If someone has a good way to do it, please speak up!

(Sorry for straying off-topic.)

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
The only R2H I have is on a MadMax+ WO sandwich and it's pretty white. the only time I see any hint of green is when comparing it to my W3V McModule (my whitest light). Hmmm--I'll have to wait and see what happens with the two R2H stars that I have waiting to be put into hosts (if I ever get around to it).

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Two out of my three R2H's were violet. The one on my MM+ is horribly violet, as some people might call it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, the one on a BB500 Mclux has a tint of violet, and the one running DD on a Mag 3D is very white with only the slightest tint of blue.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bet the automated binning system hiccups every so often.
ex i bought 16 p4k from an ebay seller.
these were still attached to the "tree" as from factory.
most were as expected for the bin.2 were more like a 3 and 1 was a 2.so i am not surprised.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snakebite, good point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I once had an R2H star that had MUCH higher than expected Vf. It was a great emitter! Nice color, bright output... but it was more like an R2K, ain't NO way it was an R2H! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I wonder how they establish their bin codes? Does some robotic device test each emitter, or maybe a human spot checks a piece every so often and labels the next 100 pieces (or whatever) based on what he finds?

Wylie

Enlightened
That Luxeon Lottery really is a bunch of crap. I have said it and I will say it again, monopolies are only good for the monopolizer and the consumer takes it in the end for lack of better expression. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif