same brand,, same price

87gr vs 115gr
..even the cardboard tube is a larger diameter on the smaller roll

25% less product for the same price NOT COOL!!:tsk:

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: : What gives?!

Hah, look at what DIAL soap has done, they cut a convex arch under the bottom side and dipped in the top side of each bar of soap. I wish I had one of the old bars so I could do a water volume test but I would bet that it's at least 20% less product per bar of soap.

My wife, a wine aficionado, noted the punt (that glass cone in the bottom of wine bottles) has increased in size as well which also means less wine per bottle.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chicken of the Sea salmon
Old: 3 oz.
New: 2.6 oz.
Difference: -13.3%

Häagen-Dazs ice cream
Old: 16 oz.
New: 14 oz.
Difference: -12.5%

Hebrew National franks
Old: 12 oz.
New: 11 oz.
Difference: -8.3%

Kirkland Signature (Costco) paper towels
Old: 96.2 sq. ft.
New: 85 sq. ft.
Difference: -11.6%

Classico pesto

Old: 10 oz.
New: 8.1 oz.
Difference: -19 percent

Last edited:

Consumer Reports has been bringing this down-sizing switch to its readers for quite some time. It's basically a way to charge more for their product without raising the price. As EZO's post demonstrates, a lot of company's have adopted this deceptive marketing tactic.

I was buying some Simply Orange orange juice recently when I realized two of the "half gallon" 1.75L cost less than one of their "gallon" 2.63L and you took home more juice. 14 Eight Ounce Servings vs 11 Eight Ounce Servings.

This is why the cost per ounce displayed on the price sticker is so valuable to consumers.

Go figure......if you want the best price.

~ Chance

Last edited:

Tracker II

Enlightened

All the other stuff I can deal with, but I draw the line at downsizing toilet paper. :scowl:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Consumer Reports has been bringing this down-sizing switch to its readers for quite some time. It's basically a way to charge more for their product without raising the price. As EZO's post demonstrates, a lot of company's have adopted this deceptive marketing tactic.

I was buying some Simply Orange orange juice recently when I realized two of the "half gallon" 1.75L cost less than one of their "gallon" 2.63L and you took home more juice. 14 Eight Ounce Servings vs 11 Eight Ounce Servings.

This is why the cost per ounce displayed on the price sticker is so valuable to consumers.

Go figure......if you want the best price.

~ Chance

+

Basically the fact that companies are doing a bait & switch
knowing damn well a certain percentage of people won't notice.

They are counting on people not noticing & that's where I take issue

It's not false advertising, just shady business that creates more packaging & less goods

The slow & incessant 'conditioning' we are supposed to accept
:shakehead

Also worth mentioning, over-sized packaging. I'm sure we've all opened a container to only find it 70% full. Nothing settles that much. It's false advertising pure and simple. Or as Orbital put it: Just shady business that creates more packaging & less goods

~ Chance

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened

I don't want to sound like I support downsizing things but honestly when it comes to food people need to know when to stop eating.

As for other things like toilet paper and soap, yeah, downsizing is bad but getting more food per dollar is not always the best thing.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I've noticed this with lots of items but it seems snacks are the ones where this tactic is stretched to its limits. For example, not long ago I recall that the $1 size of potato chips was 8 oz or 9 oz. This wasn't all that long ago, certainly no more than 3 or 4 years. Last I checked, the $1 size is down to 3 or 3.5 oz. Sorry, but this is well above the general inflation rate which might have dropped the bag weight by no more than 1 oz. This is a case of manufacturers taking advantage of people, pure and simple. Even worse is with many other food items besides snacks lately it seems every time I go in the store either the price went up or the size went down.

Another thing I've noticed is manufacturers favoring products which make them more profit but appear the same to the consumer. Case in point is the sudden popularity of "gummy" candy. I was wondering why and then I noticed that bags full of gummy candy weigh about half as much as bags of non-gummy candy, but sell for about the same price. I guess most people buy by volume and not weight.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Hah, look at what DIAL soap has done, they cut a convex arch under the bottom side and dipped in the top side of each bar of soap. I wish I had one of the old bars so I could do a water volume test but I would bet that it's at least 20% less product per bar of soap.

Dial soap isn't the only brand that dishes out the bottom of their bars or gives you a "sculpted" bar. Old Spice does it too. Lever and Ivory are two separate brands that are more honest. Zest has gone completely ridiculous with the sculpting and size reduction of the overall bar. It's an age old trick. Rather than increase prices, just literally give consumers less for their money. Or, do both! Increase prices and give less product. Sad part is, they honestly think we don't notice that crap.

Norm

Retired Administrator

You may be able to find a picture of the old pack using Google image search and compare the weights.

My wife, a wine aficionado, noted the punt (that glass cone in the bottom of wine bottles) has increased in size as well which also means less wine per bottle.

Wine is sold by volume, just compare new and old volumes.

Norm

Monocrom

Flashaholic

*In hindsight, after quite a bit of consideration, this post contained nothing truly eye-opening enough that any intelligent man or woman could not deduce on their own.

Removed due to the above reason. Similar with my post below this one. Apologies to the OP for the two mentioned posts.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

Plenty of shoppers have large families to feed and need to stretch a dollar as far as it'll go. Ripping folks off on food is just as bad as ripping them off on toilet paper and bars of soap. Actually it's worse. You can skip one shower for a child, you can wipe their butt with toilet paper while using sheets of newspaper for yourself. But you can't give them less food before sending them off to bed.

Posted edited to remove unnecessary and nasty generalisation - Norm

At the very least, it does cost wholesalers substantially less logistically...less weight while same volume = more product sold at less cost. less fuel, more useable floor space, quicker inventory refresh, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

There are soo many ways to sell less for more. The flip side is when you can get the consumer to USE more without realizing it.

My laundry soap is now "Super Concentrated" and sells for about the same price. It takes less than 1/2 of the soap per load. Does my wife use the barely visible lines in the measuring cap? Nope. She's still using about the same amount as before. They increased their sales by almost 100% in our house until we started measuring more carefully.

The trick that really impressed was my shampoo. They changed bottles from a nice sturdy plastic one with a tapered neck to a straight rectangular one. The new one has a little bitty hole for the product to squirt through.

All that is needed is about 1/2 teaspoon. Where's the tricky part? The new bottle has soft sides that squeeze easily. After the first couple of weeks it's almost impossible to control the amount of shampoo that comes out of the bottle. The product is too viscus to pour easily through the little hole so you give it a little squeeze. The large air bubble in the bottle compresses at first, then the shampoo spurts out almost twice what you wanted.

Nothing illegal or unethical about either of these techniques. It's up to the consumer to figure out how much they use.

Daniel