CYAN KL4 MOD

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put a blue 3W into a KL4 and drove it with a DownBoy700. It was a pretty nice light. Whether you need to change the circuit depends greatly on the battery configuration that you intend to run in the light.

If you limit the batt configuration to either a single 123 on an E1e or E2e (with a spacer) body or a single li-ion in an E2e body, you won't need to change the circuit. Just the LED. I think the stock circuit is biased around 660mA. If you want more current you'll need to reduce the current sense resistance.

Unless, of course, I'm mistaken.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mistaken? Naah. Go with Li-Ion (I know you're a junkie, Ken) and stock circuit. Don't need to change out anything but the resistor if you need anything other than 660mA. Chop, you're still doing these mods aren't you? Ok, I just volunteered Chop to do the mod for you if you don't want to do it yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
I would like a sepparate KL4 head with a cyan or blue 5watter and I am using bare cells to run in my L4 now. can any body sell me one modded ?. doesnt look like SF is going to make any color 5watt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken,
Just keep an eye out on B/S/T for a KL4. For that matter, what's wrong with a KL1. The beam isn't as pretty as that of a KL4 with the reflector, but it's every bit as functional and it costs A LOT less. Plus, the KL1 has a buck/boost circuit in it. 1X123, 2X123, 3X123 or li-ion. It's all covered. The KL1 will also host an NX05, Fraen LP, or a McFlood. The modded KL4, in all of its grandeur, isn't nearly as flexible as a modded KL1.

Don't get me wrong. I love the KL4 mods that I have. I wouldn't choose a modded KL1 over a modded KL4, but that's my preference, as it is with many others, in spite of the cost. The fact of the matter is that you could almost have two modded KL1's for the total cost of a modded KL4.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken,
The easiest way to get a modded KL1 is to buy a KL1 and mod it. You could also send it to someone that mods the KL1 along with the Cyan star or emitter.

The Sandwiche Shoppe has Cyan 3W emitters. The are a number of people that do KL1 mods. CM and I do both luxeon swaps and overdrives. Yclo also does luxeon swaps, but I'm not sure if he does overdrives.

Contact who you'd like as all are more than capable.