Is it worth it to upgrade my Mini Maglite to LED?

EDCinDET

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Mini Maglite that I keep in the car. I'm wondering if I should get one of those upgrade kits to make it an LED. I was looking at Nit Ize and Terralux. There are mixed reviews for both and more negative reviews for the Nite Ize so I was leaning toward the Terralux. I was also considering getting a tailcap switch but those also seem to have quite a few negative reviews. I like the concept of the Nite Ize 5 mode switch but it has a lot of negative reviews. The Terralux tailcap switch seems to have better reviews but unfortunately it can no longer tail stand.

Should I try an upgrade? If so which is a good choice? Is there another affordable upgrade option? I don't want to spend much since it'll be a vehicle light.

Or should I just get a cheap LED light for an emergency vehicle light? Any suggestions?

Thanks

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Is it worth it to upgrade my Mini Maglite to LED? What is a good kit?

You're looking at roughly $25 in upgrades for the Terralux and switch combo, which will net you ~140 lumens; the problem here is that every box store around you now carries the MiniMag PRO, which is $20 for 225 lumens - skip the upgrade and go directly to replacement.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it worth it to upgrade my Mini Maglite to LED? What is a good kit?

Nope,simply not worth it.

edeekeos

Enlightened

You could always go custom..

The 2AA red one is an XML2 T6 3C on a Sinkpad, with a single mode buck driver, and 2x Sanyo UR14500P cells(0.85a), stock reflector & a UCL.
The 2AA grey one is an XML T4 7C same driver and cells(.90a) with a 60 degree flood TIR optic.
The 1AA red one is an XML U2 1A with a single mode driver, and an Efest 14500 IMR(1.7a), stock reflector, and plastic lens.
cPODYF8.jpg

PAP6yXl.jpg

YQiSuFd.jpg

njEiYWX.jpg

Jackasper

Enlightened

WOW, nice job on the lights. I like the way you think. Talk about an upgrade !!!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

simply put: No.

the time to upgrade Minimags was soooome years ago, at the time Fenix entered the market.

Skip the Mag, get any actual 2*AA led light from some of the better makers instead ...

(if You happen to plunge into one, get an MJled for the Minimag and keep it somewhere as disaster light)

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

:oops: double post....

Last edited:

edeekeos

Enlightened

Nice mags Icarus!

...however I'm realizing that "these lights" aren't welcome on this forum. They are apparently junk. I guess if it ain't made from solid 6AL-4V ELI Titanium, it's no good. Maybe that's why I only have 30 posts here after 7 years.

kuksul08

Enlightened

Dont bother with the upgrades. I have the terralux and it's not that great. For the car I'd get the mini mag LED they sell like StarHalo suggested.

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened

Nope, throw it in the junk drawer, and go buy a fenix e25 or a new mini mag pro. Then throw some lithium energizer primaries in it.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess it really depends on you. Does the light have sentimental value? If yes then it's worthwhile to upgrade it because of it. If there's no sentimental value then toss it and get something better for less money. As others have mentioned, you can go the custom route, but, that's a lot more money for something that has almost no value (silk purse from a sow's ear). You'd do this for sentimental reasons or because you want a sleeper light.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Nite Ize. When one of their products had a problem they would take care of me. A simple phone call or email was all it took.

kuksul08

Enlightened

Speaking of getting a new light, you might as well get a zebralight 1xAA neutral white. I see no reason to ever use a traditional flashlight again (gasp!) after using this. It weighs nothing, is small, reliable, looks good, and plenty bright for all tasks in close proximity. I use it about 80% as a headlamp and 20% as a handheld flashlight. Worth the price.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice mags Icarus!

...however I'm realizing that "these lights" aren't welcome on this forum. They are apparently junk. I guess if it ain't made from solid 6AL-4V ELI Titanium, it's no good. Maybe that's why I only have 30 posts here after 7 years.

Glad to see that there is at least 1 person here who agrees with me. Some members seem to forget that this is the "Homemade and modified flashlight" section and for us modding a flashlight is the primary reason why we signed up. To me modifying a flashlight is at least half of the pleasure. :grin2:

BTW your MiniMags look gorgeous! :twothumbs

ps: I just ordered the FM 14670 MiniMag. Another piece of junk for modding. :D

edeekeos

Enlightened

Thanks Icarus, they turned out pretty good for just some small hand tools. Not sure what people are talking about, having to spend 'a lot more money for something that has almost no value'. I think it costs me like MAYBE $15 for a driver, and LED. LMAO!

AH yeah, I want one of those 14670's from FM. They look SWEET! You'll have to do a build log. Maybe on the 'other forum' though.. *GASP!
:nana:

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened

I just upgraded a big Mag. An educational attempt and still a nice piece but not a good investment. The beam pattern on my Fenix E21 is better.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Niteize 3 LED one is perfect for throwing in the car as an emergency light if you can find it. They were $5 at one stage.

Globerambler

Newly Enlightened

I would love to hear a run down of how you shortened this mini maglite. I'm highly impressed right now

You could always go custom..

The 2AA red one is an XML2 T6 3C on a Sinkpad, with a single mode buck driver, and 2x Sanyo UR14500P cells(0.85a), stock reflector & a UCL.
The 2AA grey one is an XML T4 7C same driver and cells(.90a) with a 60 degree flood TIR optic.
The 1AA red one is an XML U2 1A with a single mode driver, and an Efest 14500 IMR(1.7a), stock reflector, and plastic lens.
cPODYF8.jpg

PAP6yXl.jpg

YQiSuFd.jpg

njEiYWX.jpg