Questions about Eagletac quality control / return for replacement or bail out?

decooney

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to get some feedback from other Eagletac owners to see if I should try again or just bail out to another brand on a brand new replacement...

Argh, I just returned my first new Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo light to my dealer who recommended I send it back since what I received is not what was listed and photo'd on the Eagletac site. After a lot of research I was particularly excited to find this design an size of rechargeable with side clicky and turbo head for some throw. There were a few things that caused questions for both my dealer and I after he sent it to me and realized what I got in the box. It seems like I did receive the correct model number light as labeled on the light head itself, yet there were some discrepancies that neither of us were sure about or why. I did send the light back but not sure about what to do with my replacement decision.

1) This SX25L2 Turbo light did not come with a crenelated bezel on it as pictured on the head of same model on the current the Eagletac website.
2) There were no threads on the turbo head for a crenelated bezel, like they deleted it? Correct model number, just not the same as website photo.
3) Box was labeled as 1130/925 ANSI lumens yet the light has the new XM-L2 emitter which is suppose to be 1305 lumens. The part number ordered showed 1305 lumens. We did find a separate sticker on the box showing XM-L2 as if Eagletac was just continuing to use the former model version box. This is not something I was overly concerned about as long as I/we know which light I'm actually getting. The emitter had white plastic around it with no gridlines, so I'm guessing it was in fact an L2. The dealer did state that Eagletac recently sent out some update on this yet it has caused a lot of confusion and continued confusion for customers.
4) After reviewing several photos on the Eagletac website, they show mostly flashlight heads with crenelated bezels for this model, and two other "efficiency" photos with an all-black head on it with no bezel for this same model number. I needed the light with the bezel as pictured on their site.
5) I just got a voice mail message when I called Eagletac today. Maybe they are out for the holidays... the dealer was not able to reach them either today.

QUESTION:
Is it normal to see this type of variation in quality control from Eagletac or perhaps maybe it's just a unique occurrence? Other feedback?

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Update: My dealer just heard back from the factory rep who indicated they sell "Base Models" and "Kit Versions" of these lights that come in different variations with and without crenelated bezels, ugh, okay. It seems that Eagletac does not do such a great job of explaining this to their dealers very well nor do they label their boxes, labels, box stickers, and packaging very well to correspond exactly with what you are getting.

I guess it's like a box of chocolate. Hopefully they get this fixed soon to prevent further confusion for their dealers and consumers that just want a nice quality light as advertised. Over and out.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
The base and kit model thing is actually fairly common through a number of models in the EagleTac line with the base having a fixed bezel and fewer accessories and the kit model having a screw on bezel and a variety of filter and switch options.

Its also quite common for Eagletac to have an LED upgrade and keep the old packaging til they run out, although they usually do put a sticker on the box that mentions the new LED version and an indication of some percentage brighter.

Finally EagleTac has such a broad set of offerings and usually a number of variations on most models that their web site can be a bit confusing and difficult to determine the details of a particular offering - but the info usually is there and in more detail than I've seen from any other manufacturer.

These things in have nothing to do with quality control and are more related to marketing and packaging and speed of change. I'm a big EagleTac fan due to their quality and variety and speed of innovation and change but do acknowledge the issues I mentioned (which are common in many of the Chinese manufactured name brands).

Hope you are ultimately happy with your purchase.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jim. It makes sense a bit more after spending five emails and four calls by the dealer back and forth with the rep for Eagletac. It does seem like it's more of a marketing/materials (and translation) issue than a physical product availability issue then.

Perhaps if Eagletac just updates their websites and online catalogs to reflect these specific options and variations it would be a huge help. I sent a note to Eagletac USA requesting they update and provide their 2014 .pdf catalog listings and websites, especially the photos for each light, showing the BASE light and KIT lights in a more specific way for dealers and consumers; especially for the "Turbo" version of their lights is where the real confusion comes in.

Thanks for the feedback and confidence. This is good to know as I'm really looking forward to getting the right Eagletac light in my hand, and maybe a few more if the first one works out well.

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened
I don't know of any other eagletac dealer that doesn't differentiate between the kit and base model, and eagletac's SX25l2 turbo page clearly list what you get with base model and kit model, Eagletac is pretty much the only party involved you can't put any blame on.

Rexlion

Enlightened
They make good lights. I really like using my GX25A3. Hopefully you can get the one you really wanted and put it to good use.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: Re: Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo Base Model "KIT" vs. Turbo Model "KIT" for the same model light , uh WHAT? :duh2:

Okay..., 2nd try. Another shipment just arrived at my dealer from Eagletac this week. I returned the base model SX25L2 Turbo light to my dealer. Per his direction I then re-ordered the exact same model number Turbo light, + "KIT model" specification which reportedly comes with a different threaded head with a crenelated bezel pre-installed on the light vs. the plain Black Turbo head without threads and no bezel.

UPDATE: Received the 2nd replacement light. There are two different lights and two different KITs for each of the different Turbo models.

Turbo Base Model Includes:
SX25L2 Flashlight
R33 Rechargeable 4500mAh/33.3Wh 7.4V battery pack (Does NOT include charging cords)
User Manual

Turbo KIT Model includes:
Same as base model, but with aluminum bezel (w/ front attachment thread), stainless steel bezel, ET54 diffuser, yellow filter, green filter, blue filter, red filter, rigid nylon holster w/ self-retention device, 18W AC-DC adapter (US/EUR), Automobile 12V DC adapter
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully you get and enjoy what you were actually trying to order. I have the SX25L2 with regular(not turbo) head and have both charging cords. I have been using mine for patrol for approx. a half year and really like it. The brightness, runtime, form factor, and built in battery/charger make this light fantastic for my application. Good luck to you!

decooney

Newly Enlightened
D.O.A Eagletac TX25C2 now too... quality ???

Bummer. I just received my replacement SX25L2 Turbo KIT version and along with it I decided to add a new Eagletac TX25C2 to the order. The TX25C2 was DEAD-ON-ARRIVAL (D.O.A). The SX25L2 Turbo works great, looks great, thankfully. Perhaps 3rd time will be a charm or strike 3 on Eagletac getting this right. Hopefully they will get their quality control issues under control soon. Definitely something going on here with ET lately. Will keep trying with the hope the next one will work. They sure look cool though...;)

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
D.O.A Eagletac TX25C2 now too... quality ???

Bummer. I just received my replacement SX25L2 Turbo KIT version and along with it I decided to add a new Eagletac TX25C2 to the order. The TX25C2 was DEAD-ON-ARRIVAL (D.O.A). The SX25L2 Turbo works great, looks great, thankfully. Perhaps 3rd time will be a charm or strike 3 on Eagletac getting this right. Hopefully they will get their quality control issues under control soon. Definitely something going on here with E.T. lately.

I highly doubt your TX25C2 is DOA. The Eagletac lights have a mechanical reverse polarity protection that prevents some batteries from making positive contact. What kind of battery are you using? I can tell you for a fact that Redilast batteries won't work in Eagletac lights because of the wide positive tip. Your battery needs to have a small protruding button top like on the Eagletac batteries.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered probably 10-15 Eagletac lights over the last year and a half and have never had a problem with a malfunctions on any of them. I am not saying it doesn't or can't happen but that my personal track record with them has been great.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: My dealer just notified me and said he's been having problems with some of the lights lately from ET. He had me do a test to see if the tail cap was bad on the TX25C2.

Using a jumper wire from the body to the negative on the battery, it works. I re-seated the decorative ring a few times and it will work some times. I'm sure my dealer knows more than I do when he says some of the tail caps are bad and he's had to replace them. I will keep trying because I really like the design and look of these lights. Maybe I just gotta dud.

Last edited:

johnjr

Newly Enlightened
I own 12 Eagletac lights and have only had one issue with the last one I purchased and that was a defective rear clicky that you had to push four or five times to get it to turn off (T200C2) I called my dealer and he sent me a replacement and it works great, In my experance Eagletac is of really top quality and you just have to read the difference between the base mdl or the kit version.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased 4 D25A Ti's and have had a number of QC issues... one was missing a lens, one the threads seemed cut too short so the light wouldn't go into turbo until it was force-cut (ie, crank tight/loose very hard ~20x) and all four exhibit PWM-like behavior on moonlight mode at different states of battery voltage. Still love the light though, and why I keep buying them :).

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased 4 D25A Ti's and have had a number of QC issues... one was missing a lens, one the threads seemed cut too short so the light wouldn't go into turbo until it was force-cut (ie, crank tight/loose very hard ~20x) and all four exhibit PWM-like behavior on moonlight mode at different states of battery voltage. Still love the light though, and why I keep buying them :).

I have purchased 5 and all worked well. One D25A XP-G2, one 2014 ti Nichia 219, and 3 XM-L2. All of those are neutral white versions :) No, I don't need that many but ordered some for friends that wanted one.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: My dealer just notified me and said he's been having problems with some of the lights lately from ET. He had me do a test to see if the tail cap was bad on the TX25C2.

Using a jumper wire from the body to the negative on the battery, it works. I re-seated the decorative ring a few times and it will work some times. I'm sure my dealer knows more than I do when he says some of the tail caps are bad and he's had to replace them. I will keep trying because I really like the design and look of these lights. Maybe I just gotta dud.

Thanks for letting us know what was going on. That is really surprising but hopefully they get you fixed up. The TX25C2 has crazy output and throw for it's size. I really like the compactness and the side switch.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
romteb,
I'm going to defer from bringing my dealer into the conversation since they have been fabulous to work with, super responsive, and I'll be getting a replacement light soon on their dime.

------
All,
The other SX25L2 Turbo I received the same day is really neat and it works well. It's a perfect sized light and one of the better ones in my collection for how I plan to use it. I appreciate everyone's questions and feedback which helped to guide me to just stick with it and get it sorted out rather than throwing in the towel. Thank You!

decooney

Newly Enlightened
I own 12 Eagletac lights and have only had one issue with the last one I purchased and that was a defective rear clicky that you had to push four or five times to get it to turn off (T200C2) I called my dealer and he sent me a replacement and it works great, In my experance Eagletac is of really top quality and you just have to read the difference between the base mdl or the kit version.

Note: Yes,reading is helpful but the information provided is incomplete and in some cases inaccurate and misleading. Actually, as it turns out, there are THREE different models and TWO different kits for each of the models. The SX25L2 comes in a 1) BASE model with a standard head with -OR- without a KIT option, 2) a Turbo BASE model version with a black head and no front bezel, and NO THREADS in the head and NO KIT option for this version, and 3) a TURBO KIT model version with a crenelated bezel and threads in the head. After receiving and comparing the different lights, it's very easy to see how dealers and consumers will be very confused by this until ET properly labels their boxes, identifies unique models numbers for each version for consumers to refers to. Also, the ET website needs to be updated to the different light versions and options for each. When I first started this, like many others I thought there was just a base model and kit version, and this is not the case. I got the correction version now and it's called the "Turbo KIT" version.