4sevens AA XML Quarks no longer thermally regulated?

Etsu

Enlightened
I was looking at the 4sevens product pages for their AA Quarks, and I think they've changed something under the "features" for the XML versions of their lights.

I'm fairly sure they used to state "thermal regulation" for the QP2A-X, which referred to the 3-minute step-down in brightness that occurs on turbo. (I don't think the step-down was necessary on the regular QP2A with the XPG LED.)

But now they have removed it from the feature list. Or am I misremembering it being there in the first place?

Does that mean that the latest QP2A Quarks no longer have the 3-minute step down feature for thermal regulation? Or, is it still there, but they removed it from the feature list for some reason?

Conspiracy theory: perhaps they are going to replace the automatic step-down with something more accurate, like a PID controller for thermal regulation, in the next versions of the Quarks? So they're saving the "thermal regulation" nomenclature for when they introduce it again?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fairly sure they used to state "thermal regulation" for the QP2A-X, which referred to the 3-minute step-down in brightness that occurs on turbo. (I don't think the step-down was necessary on the regular QP2A with the XPG LED.)

Nope, they never mentioned thermal regulation or the step down (I have a Goodreader copy of their original spec page from their black screen website days). Instead they have choosen to conservatively list a spec that is closer to the stepped-down output. I match ti-force's meter readings of ~250 lumens stepped down, and mid-300s for the stepped-up output. I don't think anything has changed.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I wish. I took mine out of my pocket at far higher than acceptable temperatures more than once after accidental activations. Shame on me of course for putting the forward clicky on a regular Quark, but still...

Etsu

Enlightened
Nope, they never mentioned thermal regulation or the step down (I have a Goodreader copy of their original spec page from their black screen website days). Instead they have choosen to conservatively list a spec that is closer to the stepped-down output. I match ti-force's meter readings of ~250 lumens stepped down, and mid-300s for the stepped-up output. I don't think anything has changed.

Okay, I guess I am crazy then, I could have sworn their website used to list thermal regulation under the features. Maybe I'm thinking of some other manufacturer. Yeah, I measure the brightness similar to yours, pre and post step-down.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... Yeah, I measure the brightness similar to yours, pre and post step-down.

That's a conservative lumen scale then.. I believe you have/had the SC52? Did you measure it? if so how did you find those specs in comparisons, particularly all the L modes?

Etsu

Enlightened
That's a conservative lumen scale then.. I believe you have/had the SC52? Did you measure it? if so how did you find those specs in comparisons, particularly all the L modes?

I briefly had a SC52w, but gifted it for Christmas because the one meant as a gift hasn't shipped yet. When I get the next one, I'll measure it. From visual estimates, I'd say the SC52w was about as bright on max (using a AA) as the Quark 2xAA XML2 was on max after the step down. But that's just a guess for now.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I briefly had a SC52w, but gifted it for Christmas because the one meant as a gift hasn't shipped yet. When I get the next one, I'll measure it. From visual estimates, I'd say the SC52w was about as bright on max (using a AA) as the Quark 2xAA XML2 was on max after the step down. But that's just a guess for now.

Be interested in what you find... and across all the modes since almost all the specs between the two line up on both lumens AND runtime.