Road Flare alternatives?

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
So I've been looking to add some form of flares in my roadside kits for both my motorcycle and cars. What does everyone use/recommend?

For my bike, I will probably use orange glow sticks unless I find a suitable led unit.

For my cars, not sure here. I haven't found any LED ones that strike me as being worth a darn. Ideas?

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Smittybilt LED UFO Roadflare best $20 you can spend. They use CR123s and are magnetic, can be hung on paracord and last up to 24hrs on one battery. I keep 2 in my truck and they are bright!! used them during two power outages including Sandy to mark wires down on my street

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
I keep searching for a comparison, but couldn't find one. The smittybilt is reasonable $ but the powerflare is 3x the cost. I may have to break out the canon and do a comparison.

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
The smittybilt looks ok and seems to have the same features as the powerflares. They only difference i see is that the powerflares are crushproof, but the smittybilt doesn't say it is (or isn't). Powerflares are grossly overpriced and i think they are OEM products. I have seen identical flares being sold for 20-ish dollars. I have 4 of the OEM versions, haven't let me down yet.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the cheaper versions are rebadged. If I order one of the cheapy powerflares, care to compare pics? Wonder if the boards are the same.
I have concerns with viewing angle on the smittybilts... Looks like its mostly triangular, which could be better or worse depending on application.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep an Eflare in my car (orange version, runs on 2x D cells, I got it for a bargain price a few years back, should have bought more)
Sitting upright in its base, it is easily visible from half a mile, it's visibility is probably reduced in higher ambient environments, but the local police use them on their "booze bus" breath alcohol testing stations (a red/blue version) and they stand out pretty well, even in a sea of red, blue and white light.

usair

Newly Enlightened
I would go exploring a bicycles shop

some red strobe are insanely strong

CivilDefense2002

Newly Enlightened
Obviously a flashlight forum, but something to consider as an alternative to true "flares" is the reflective "flares" that do not require batteries. That's just one more thing to leak in between inspections or use.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflective triangles have and advantage over the battery-operated devices in that they are powered by approaching vehicles' headlamps (assuming the driver has them on), and over fusees in that they won't light anything on fire. They're certainly a welcome part of my Previa's equipment.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflective triangles have and advantage over the battery-operated devices in that they are powered by approaching vehicles' headlamps (assuming the driver has them on), and over fusees in that they won't light anything on fire. They're certainly a welcome part of my Previa's equipment.

I have a pair of warning triangles in my car too.

(actually they live in a box, under the passengers seat along with a towrope, jumper leads, reflective vest and the eflare i mentioned earlier.

just make sure you put them far enough down the road (the CAMS motorsport manual specifies 100 and 200m for rally cars, on the side of the road the vehicle is situated)

sadtimes

Enlightened
Go to your local public safety store and grab some of the flat ones that police use for checkpoints, they are good stuff.

hibby

Newly Enlightened
Hi i am a tow truck guy so thought i may as well add my 2 pence as i have been looking at these power flares.

I feel amber is often ignored. Can you use other colours over there?

I am planning on getting a red, amber and a green one. As long as the red one is not on a vehicle i should be ok in the UK.

My thought are getting 3 different colours. I can probably get away with green red and amber here in the uk as long as the red one is not on a vehicle. Blue might be a step too far though.

Btw i like the look of the triangular version. It looks like it could be sat upright when in use if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel amber is often ignored. Can you use other colours over there?

I am planning on getting a red, amber and a green one. As long as the red one is not on a vehicle i should be ok in the UK.

Red or red/orange would be fine. Green would be a GREAT way to confuse people, who may think they're supposed to head toward the green one for some reason (like one would drive under the green light at the bank drivethru or the turnpike toll booth). Avoid the green.

kj2

Flashaholic
Does anyone have any experience with Eflare (AT-280/290) led beacons? Have four of those (Chinese) amber led beacons, but since those lay flat on the ground they aren't as visible as the Eflare beacons.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only looked on the eflare website but did find the video(s) useful.

This is an old thread but a lot of the roadside emergency lights have either changed, popped up in the market, or have been reviewed since it was started.

I've got a bit of experience with roadside lighting and suggest the following be considered before people get or use whatever they're looking at:

- Weather. Is it going to be visible in heavy rain, snow, and fog at a distance that's going to keep you safe (at least 100 yards/meters)? Is it going to disappear if it gets in snow, mud, etc.? Is it going to work and are the batteries going to be OK at -20° or colder? Will it stay put on ice?

- Ease of use. Can you use it with gloves on? Is setting it up going to take a lot of your attention? That can get you killed while standing at the side of the road.

- Durability. Will it work if it gets soaked? Will it work if it gets run over? (Yes, drivers will try to hit small flashing lights whether on purpose or drunk)

Other things I've seen learned the hard way:

- lights/flares don't stick well on ice and spikes either hurt when they stick your hand or require you to bend down or over to stick in the road (that makes you take your eyes off of traffic and makes you harder to see - a bad combo). Wire frames for flares and lights get crushed in storage.

- Chem lights ain't bright enough on a highway. No way, no how.

- Lights or flares are useless if you keep them in the trunk (boot). They'll get buried, you won't be able to get at them if you're rear ended, it can take too long to get at them in a serious emergency, etc. Keep some form of light within reach in the passenger compartment but not where it can roll around.

- Nobody puts the flare/light/triangle anywhere near far enough in back of the scene or used enough of them. IMO since vehicles cover a lot of distance at highway speeds and take a lot longer than you think to stop, get the lights at the very least as far as 50 yards/meters from the scene and use at least two lights/flares. Three lights/flares are much, much safer & effective and even farther back is also better especially if you're around a curve or over a crest.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with Eflare (AT-280/290) led beacons? Have four of those (Chinese) amber led beacons, but since those lay flat on the ground they aren't as visible as the Eflare beacons.
I have an Eflare in my car, I'm not sure which version it is, it has been in my car for about 15 years.
orange, 2D cells, and comes with a rubber base to keep it stood up.
if i remember i will have a look tomorrow (i should probably change the batteries again too)

- Ease of use. Can you use it with gloves on? Is setting it up going to take a lot of your attention? That can get you killed while standing at the side of the road.
the Eflares are a piece of cake to use - grab, twist clear bit on top about 20 degrees, stuff it into the base and put it on the road.

- Durability. Will it work if it gets soaked? Will it work if it gets run over? (Yes, drivers will try to hit small flashing lights whether on purpose or drunk)
Soaked - no worries, they are weatherproof, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually waterproof.
I don't know about being run over, but they have no issues with being dropped or or skidded across the road.
i suppose it depends on what hit them.

- Lights or flares are useless if you keep them in the trunk (boot). They'll get buried, you won't be able to get at them if you're rear ended, it can take too long to get at them in a serious emergency, etc. Keep some form of light within reach in the passenger compartment but not where it can roll around.
thats why mine live in a box under the passengers seat, along with the towrope, reflective triangles, reflective vest and jumper leads.
I can access it while still wearing my seatbelt in the drivers seat.

The local police force and many service stations use Eflares.
the cops use them on witches hats at their "booze bus" breathalyzer/drug test setups - if they keep on ticking in that environment (left on for hours, clipped by drivers, thrown around and dumped in a bag at the end of shift) then they are a pretty solid unit.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thinking about picking up 3 or 4 of them. Amber color since the others aren't allowed here. But heard last week, the importer here, stopped with Eflare.

jeffsf

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on recommendations in the last several years? LED technology and efficiency has changed a lot, making the 20-25 cd eFlare seem like it might be outdated (not to mention difficult to get and what seems to be a corporate restart for them).