Rayovac Indestructible "flood" headlamp

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else seen these? Or played with one?

Rayovac Indestructible has released their second headlamp - $9.99 from Wal-Mart or Home Depot, although you have to order from the Home Depot website (delivered to a store or home). Same product, different packaging between the Wal-Mart version and the Home Depot offering.

Advertised specs:
High performance LEDs and 2 modes: 35 Lumens, 11 Lumens (energy saver)
Beam distance: 24 meters, 15 meters (energy saver)
Battery Run time (alkaline batteries incl.): 19 hours, 40 hours (energy saver)
30 Foot Drop Test Performance!
Rubber body – shock absorbers
Impact resisting internal engineering
Designed for maximum durability + simplicity
Compact and lightweight
Cloth and silicone head-straps included
IPX4 water resistant
Lifetime guarantee
(3) AAA Rayovac alkaline batteries included
Home Depot model: http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-3AAA-Headlight.aspx
Wal-Mart model: http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Outdoor/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-3AAA-Headlight.aspx

I'm very impressed overall with the Rayovac Indestructible line - I have three of the x2 AA lights around the house for beaters and general use. I was less happy with their first headlamp which was all throw. So much so that I had to turn my head to get light on the project I had in my hands.

At this price point with the advertised runtimes, I was more than willing to get one to tinker with.

Initial impressions:
I tried it out last night - turned off all the lights in my apartment and used only the headlamp to maneuver. Overall, I'm very happy - it produces a much larger hotspot with functional spill. I was able to cook dinner on the stove without constantly adjusting either the headlamp or my head. Stepping outside, on high, I could reliably illuminate three to six feet in front of me, although it wasn't completely dark out, so I couldn't test the overall effectiveness. I may do that tonight.

There is a slight but noticeable difference between the high and low settings - more noticeable in low/no light settings. The low was more than adequate for moving about the apartment.

I haven't given the runtimes a serious workout to see if it comes in as claimed.

EtA: Whoops - that should be the Rayovac "Indestructible", not Industrial. My bad.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been trying but can not find one anywhere around here?
Maybe I am not sure I can know the difference actually between the new one and old one?
Any ideas,I don't want to get another of the first gen. model.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Home Depot, you have to order it online and have it shipped to your local store (or shipped to your house for a fee). However, they're also available inside Wal-Mart in their sporting goods section.

If you look at the Home Depot website, the first generation thrower is listed as: 100 lumen headlight, $13.98. The second generation model is listed as: 35 lumen headlight, $9.99.

It's very easy to tell the difference in person: the first gen 100 lumen model has one big LED. The newer model has four small LEDs in a "+" layout, like this:
0105141134_zps9bce0d00.jpg

If you go to Wal-Mart, the headlamp is branded as the "Rayovac Outdoor Indestructible" - same price, $9.99. The Wal-Mart packaging will look like this:
RI_headlamp_zps9b3c6a6e.jpg

Apart from the packaging, everything is the same.