Remember when...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the TK40 was one of the best throwers, especially in the AA format. It was talked about and it's merits debated. It was 'the worlds brightest AA powered flashlight'. I remember reading the reviews, watching the YouTube videos and wondering why on earth I wanted to spend more than $100 on a single flashlight, and how when it arrived I unpacked it in awe, knowing I held in my hand the power to change the course of history.

I remember that first night, walking over the road to the park and shining it at nothing, giggling out loud like a child on Christmas morning. How the sheer number of photons being projected from this device in my hand might somehow cause an earthquake on the other side of the world...

Well, that was four years ago and it has served, and continues to serve me well. I know there are single 18650 lights that will blow it away now, but it still impresses, and has the charm of being my first high output flashlight (all 630 lumens).

What's your remember when story.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since you mentioned AAs... Remember when the TK20 came out? Much discussion on CPF regarding the color temp and cool vs. neutral. Some very informative info and photos came out as a result. The TK20 also proved to be a terrific thrower for just 2AA. Unfortunately, its run was too short before being discontinued. (I bought two, by the way)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the TK20 was (is) a great flashlight. It's only problem being inductor whine. It was nice to hold, great for spotting and bomb proof.

Fenix needs to bring it, or it's more modern equivalent back into production. The E21 was close, but not quite.

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL... I remember when my night vision was as good as reppans, and thought that my mag-light solitair was "the cat's meow" for camping.

Wow! I guess my long term memory is still intact! ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Fun thread; great idea. :)

Remember when Peter Gransee was a regular here and the ARC AAA was the keychain light everyone had to have? It was my first buy after joining CPF in 2007. I devoured the threads discussing its toughness and ability to survive Armageddon. I had to have one! The E01 took some wind out of ARCs sails but I still have my Arc and probably always will. Maybe I'll fish that light out and use it a little for old times sake. :)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the Krypton Bulb was 70% brighter than anything else - I had the first Duracell 2D Tough Torch (sadly lost now) fitted with the Latest Krypton bulb, it was a torch so tough you could throw it down the stairs and it kept on shining. And don't forget it was water resistant!

My first LED torch was a home made multi-red-LED light using an old 2AA incan housing and a piece of strip-board to mount/solder the LEDs and fitted in place the lens. White LEDs were not available, and the red ones were brighter than the green.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I joined, the XR-E Q5 was the about the brightest thing out there. When the R2 was announced, everybody oohd and aahd about it. Many were still using the SSC P4, which was a viable option.

i still have some lights with these LEDs, not too shabby after half a decade.

I think every member should build a ROP, just because.

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, the ROP! My only hotwire to date. I still have it and fire it up now and again. People are still impressed by it. :) It's bright and it throws, still makes me smile. :cool:

ganymede

Enlightened
Guys, I suggest we all search for our first post here on CPF. At the beginning I was looking at Ultrafires but ended with an entire cabinet of Surefires. :eek:

buds224

Enlightened
...one July the Fourth bon-fire, I hung a x2 aa maglite LED from its lanyard beneath an overhead tarp, removed the head and everyone thought it was the greatest thing since no one thought of bringing any lamps or flashlights. Ahhh, the simple days.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Remember when you had to go to the Sandwich Shop to get an LED upgrade for a Mini-Mag?

Hot Brass

Enlightened
My first "real" flashlight was a 6 D-cell Maglite which I still have and use,but have since upgraded it to a led conversion kit,which I happened to find suggested on this site. That started it all.... then my next real light was a TK-41...then it all started again.....going to 18650 lights....then to CR123A lights,then extra 18650 batts,then, different chargers....now I am looking at maybe a "Tiny Monster"???. When will it end??!! HB

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first custom was a "Space Needle II" clone that I put together myself. Mr. Bulk had put a walkthrough online on how to do it. The thing was so bright it impressed everybody. Bulk was making custom runs of some of the best homemades out there. People were modding the hell out of Maglites putting EVERYTHING in them from multi LED setups to overdriven Osram bulbs that could set fire to paper. And the debate raged on as to whether the rounded Surefire E lights were favorable over the older flat panel sided ones. Oh and it was pre Arc fall. So Arc LS's, Arc4's, AAA's were very easy to come by at a good price.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the TK40 was one of the best throwers, especially in the AA format. It was talked about and it's merits debated. It was 'the worlds brightest AA powered flashlight'. I remember reading the reviews, watching the YouTube videos and wondering why on earth I wanted to spend more than $100 on a single flashlight, and how when it arrived I unpacked it in awe, knowing I held in my hand the power to change the course of history.

I remember that first night, walking over the road to the park and shining it at nothing, giggling out loud like a child on Christmas morning. How the sheer number of photons being projected from this device in my hand might somehow cause an earthquake on the other side of the world...

Well, that was four years ago and it has served, and continues to serve me well. I know there are single 18650 lights that will blow it away now, but it still impresses, and has the charm of being my first high output flashlight (all 630 lumens).

What's your remember when story.

Nice remember-when post!
Not sure there are 18650 that would blow away the TK40 and if they do they would probably do by the lumens on the box and only thanks poor runtimes and/or 3-minute step-downs! A flashlight that was trail-blazing four years ago is still a very good flashlight today!

In 2014 lights are that much brighter not because technology is that much ahead but because manufacturers drive their lights harder in order to keep their sales consistently high!

Last edited:

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I remember when a Hurricane lantern had really good throw,, and flood. Geeze I'm old........

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when all I needed for work was a solitaire. I thought it was the best and brightest light ever.

I remember when, about 4 years later, I got my first multi-emitter light; A rayovac with a white (ahem, angry blue) LED, 2 red LEd's and a krypton bulb. I was ecstatic that I could actually see (dimly) part of a power pylon about 100 meters away.

I remember buying my first REAL light; another Rayovac, but 45 lumens. With my cousin, we were both laughing like mad scientists that we could light the floor of the car in broad daylight. We thought we could chase bears away with that thing (Boy we were so wrong; that black bear 3 years ago looked straight into my 245 lumens IFE2).

I remember blinding myself like an idiot with my TK40 only minutes after powering it up for the first time; my eyes were watery for almost 2 hours and I did it again the next day!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember blinding myself like an idiot with my TK40 only minutes after powering it up for the first time; my eyes were watery for almost 2 hours and I did it again the next day!

Too funny! A friend of mine did exactly that when he was looking at my TK40 on a camping trip. It was just after I showed how bright it was on turbo. He took it from my hand, pointed it straight at his face and turned it on. I nearly wet myself with laughter.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too funny! A friend of mine did exactly that when he was looking at my TK40 on a camping trip. It was just after I showed how bright it was on turbo. He took it from my hand, pointed it straight at his face and turned it on. I nearly wet myself with laughter.

In my case, I just "blinked" my eyes open for a fraction of a second and was blinded for a good minute and the lights were on in the shop... On a camping trip at night, though, he must have been blind for a good 10 minutes!