Discussing the old xpg high cri and the newer high cri xpg2....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a beamshot comparing the xpg high cri to the new xpg2 high cri? I'm wondering why, given the popularity of the cooler Nicha 219 emitter, Cree decided to update their high cri xpg emitter and go from 3700k, which was already very warm, to an even lower 2900k? That's practically orange.

Anyone?

Thanks.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Popularity outside flashlight industry as well? Because let's be honest - LED manufacturers don't care about flashlights because it's a tiny market for them. XP-G2 was made in a completely different technology, maybe it just turned out that it achieves highest CRI at lower color temp.

Etsu

Enlightened
Yeah, manufacturers seem to like to target around 3000K for indoor warm lighting, whether it's florescent or LED. I think that's just because it looks closest in color to incandescent lighting, which is more pleasing to the eyes. A high-CRI 3000K light would be a good replacement for normal incandescent lighting.

While I like 3000K lighting for general room lighting, I find it a bit warm for a flashlight. I find my eyes can adapt to "white" from about 3500K to 5500K. Outside that range, things either look yellow or blue.

Lithium466

Enlightened
There are several XP-G high CRI 90+ tints I think, the one in the HDS is normally around 3700°K like you said, but I got some that are 7B tint, more like 3000/3200°K. I also got new XP-G2 high CRI, and all I can say is that I prefer the old XP-G...
Don't get me wrong, I love warm tint...it's just that I prefered the old XP-G, tint was more like orange than yellow on the XP-G2.

I can post beamshots if you want :)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would. I like warm tints also, but was a bit afraid to plop down the cash on one that warm without seeing it first.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Here you are. But I apologize for the crappy beamshots, I don't think they are going to be very useful. I tried my best, but I am still not satisfied at all with the result... Blame my poor skills and the crappy phone camera (set on daylight to maximize tint difference). The drive current also make a huge difference, with a distinctive tint shift at lower current. Hence the poor results :(

This is Nichia 219 (high CRI SW45 from IS), in a Xeno E03 vs XP-G high CRI 90+ Q2 7B (in a P60 module, 700mA current) (always from left to right)

Nichia 219 vs XP-G2 high CRI 90+ Q2 7C4 (P60 module, 1050mA current...)

Now Philips Rebel 4000°K 85 CRI (from Zebralight H51c), maybe Rebel ES LXW8-PW40 (?) vs XP-G

Rebel vs XP-G2

and now XP-G vs XP-G2

I don't think the beamshots do justice to the XP-G (it will also depend on your screen), I found (probably highly suggestive) the colour "pop" mode with XP-G than XP-G2.

Now as a warm/neutral tint fan, I can say you can't go wrong with Nichia 219 (at least the "old" version 4500°K, haven't tried yet the new 219B). XP-G and XP-G2 are in the 7 range, very warm, almost warmer than an incan....but there is in my opinion still something with incan compared to leds, even the better :D

Edit: as for my personal tastes, in order of preference, I'd say Incan>Nichia>XP-G>Rebel 4000°K>XP-G2>.......>XM-L T4 7C>........>CW

Edit²: I also LOVE the tint of my HDS High CRI, maybe even better than the Nichia, unfortunately I don't have it here to do beamshots, sorry.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xpg2 looks to be cooler than the xpg instead of warmer in your pics. I like it. May have to get one.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Yeah I know, that is why I am a bit "disturbed" by these beamshots...remember that the XP-G2 is driven harder than the XP-G :caution:

Etsu

Enlightened
Wow, those look like really warm tints. Way too warm for my tastes. I'd much prefer a cool white over those. But for those who like really warm tints, they probably make a good choice.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do look really warm on a whitewall, but they are really very pleasing in general use. I prefer to call it a cozy tint.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got my high cri XP-G2 emitters from IS. its color temp is listed at 2900k.
when compared to all my high cri XP-G 3000k emitters. the XP-G2 is a bit warmer, appearing more orange, and making the 3000k XP-G look more pinkish in a direct comparison.

the newer high CRI XP-G2 2900k have become my new favorite emitters. i also have a couple of the high CRI XM-L2 and it doesnt seems to make colors pop like the XP emitters.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My triple XP-G 7A3 90+CRI (3500K) is my all time favourite indoor light.

My triple 219 4500K 92+CRI is a far better outdoor light.

Swings and roundabouts.
Right tool for the right job.
<insert clichè here>

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got one in from Nailbender. It's a touch warmer than the old xpg high cri, but you have to hold them side by side to notice. Beautiful tint, imo. Some may say it's too yellow, but like it. And it beats the heck out of a blue tint for sure. As soon as my HDS gets here it's getting modded.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with getting a tint that you like.
That's what we all like to do.

The issue arises when some start calling it "more accurate", which opens a whole can of worms, and is only true in a certain context.