In praise of the McGizmo Mule...

scout24

Flashaholic
Instead of a rambling post in the "What did you use your light for today" thread, I figured a bit of rambling praise in it's own thread, out here in LED land and not in Don's subforum either where it's preaching to the choir. :) As others say, some more mainstream exposure is good once in a while.

I'm a mechanic by trade, and was recently tasked with doing valve cover gaskets in a 1991 Ford E350 van with a 351w V-8 engine. Anyone remotely familiar with the basic U.S. van architecture will cringe at the thought: a big V-8 with no room to work on it, all the requisite emissions hardware, EFI, heater hoses, looms of wire, etc. that need removed before being able to see, never mind remove said valve covers to replace the gaskets. Hours and hours of fun! Did I mention this lovely 23 year old van is a new York resident? We tend to over salt our roads here which translates to lots of corrosion...

To the point, finally. We have no real drop lighting in my shop, so I have long relied on my lights for work. XM-L Mule from Don McGizmo in this case was abused. Really. I went through most of my work stash of partially used primary 123's while waiting for my AW RCR to cool and recharge. Back to back to back to back runs on high with no cooling airflow, stuffed between hoses and wires, clipped to sheet metal, dropped four feet down to the floor, oil, gas, solvents, hit with wrenches, scuffed, stuffed and scraped along rusty metal, almost too warm to pick up at times. When it blipped to low, indicating low voltage, another 123 went in, back on high it went, and back to work. I've used my Haiku, and this Mule before at work, but usually with a bit more care than this. Never babied, but not like this. :) A quick wipe down at lunch to be carried until it was time to go back at it, a Windex bath and wipedown at the end of each day. I took the clip off, the switch boot out, and gave it a good cleaning today in preparation for the "beauty shots" I'll put up tomorrow. A bit dinged, a ton of fine Ti scratches, and it looks great. Made to be used and abused. Smooth, even, bright, floody light, runs like a Swiss watch cell after cell. Thanks, Don, for building these!

ANYONE who has thought about one of Don's Ti treasures owes it to themselves to save a dollar or two a day this year if needed, and place the email order. Make it your New Year's resolution- One awesome light this year instead of a bunch of "okay" ones... And it's a stone-axe reliable tool of the highest caliber to boot... trust me, you won't be disappointed. Pics tomorrow night!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, Greg. I hope Don sees this thread - I'll bet it will do him proud to see a story about one of his tools being USED, and performing beautifully. Thanks for sharing this - great story.

:twothumbs

nbp

Flashaholic
Gotta love the Mule!

I like the McG Mules for camping. Nothing offers the perfect smooth area flood the Mule does, and it is just right around campsites or in a tent. I am especially fond of my Sapphire Mule but that is for another thread I think. ;)

JKolmo

Enlightened
Amen to that! I absolutely love my 123 pak Nichia 119V mule! I use it all the time.

4egupaqu.jpg

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg,

Great story and I can't wait to see the photos.

McGizmo lights are bullet proof and are made to be used. The titanium finish gets better looking over the years.

and yes, put away a little over a dollar a day and get the best.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redhat703

Enlightened
Cool story :) You could use a 18650 body E head with 3400 mAh li-ion in it. This will save you times and primaries.

scout24

Flashaholic
Pics as promised, and thank you to whomever moved this back to LED lighting... :) SO hard to take good photos of scratched and scuffed Titanium. These will have to do for now, when I get my next new 1x123 McClicky pack I'll have to do side-by-side shots.Keep in mind this head was new not too long ago...

P1020653.jpg

P1020649.jpg

P1020650.jpg

calflash

Enlightened
I am a diesel mechanic and have been using mcgizmos nearly exclusively too. I switched from the Makai to the aqua ram and both have easily survived what so many other lights have not. Lots and lots of drops and mild hammering both in the shop and in the field and weather. They have the lights dings and scratches that are hard to photograph, but man can they take a beating! I've even dented the positive terminal of my batteries from the drops with no ill effects to the light. Completely awesome lights! I honestly don't know if I could find a tougher light.

scout24

Flashaholic
Calflash- :buddies: Glad to see others are out there getting a bunch of use and abuse!!! Nothing but the best. :thumbsup:

rush

Newly Enlightened
Great story, there can be no doubt that a McGizmo light will take more abuse than a human being before failing :)

For me it took a little longer until my first McGizmo - a LS 20 - had received its first real dings that gave it its unique marks. After that it was much easier to use and abuse it, and it is still my EDC and looks great.
On the inside it has evolved over the years, but on the outside there is nothing that should be changed, just character to be gained :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit that given how nice the mule is for close up use, I for one does not truly appreciate it. As a general use EDC light it lacked throw, or at least decent enough throw for any practical use. I am always finding a reason to EDC it but have always had my XM-L Haiku in place of the Mule. As a photographer, I too hardly ever have a need for the Mule but I guess I could start packing it into my camera bag from now just in case I may need it. Good to see that you have made good use of your Mule in your work.