I love winter

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right. I love winter. From the snowy and gray Decembers I had growing up in the north to the cold and windy ones I'm having here in TX.

It's a flashaholic's dream. Long nights and darker days and I get to wear my jacket. Jackets means more pockets and more pockets mean mean more places to stash a light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
he he he

-Jason

Interlude

Newly Enlightened
I'd like winter if I were in Texas, too. Try a NY winter, complete with snow and rain and wind and not being able to walk outside without a heavy coat, gloves and a hat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always preferred winter and cold weather. But this year it's especially sweet. The sun comes up late and sets early. More chance to play with and use my flashlights. And they make the snow look so great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Tombeis

Enlightened
I also love winter.

Where I live, (OHIO) winter is really winter with snow and cold weather.

If it's not bad enough for me in Ohio, I go visit my son in Burlington Vermont.

The secret of winter living is long underwear.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i'm a summer man myself.
gimme the tropics anyday over this winter madness! our record snowfall is over 140 inches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
in fact, the snowmobile registrations/tourism here this year is predicted to make over $$300 million..

Edit:
here are a few pictures from our '98 ice storm.. over an inch of ice on EVERYTHING..
300,000 homes without power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://www.bairnet.org/potw/icestorm98/default.htm

and here's a bunch more of that ice storm from a gov site. there's a nice picture of a layer of ice by a ruler that looks to be @ least two inches thick.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/gyx/icepix/ice_storm_98.htm

haven't been able to find any good pictures of blizzards tho, sorry. but snowdrifts here, and there are alot of them, can get to be 25-30 feet tall.. zing!

the temperature averages in this part of the state tend to be @ least 10 degrees lower than the rest of the state..

on average monthly, we have an inch or two less of precipitation than the rest of the state, BUT, in the winter, almost 10 inches more than the rest of the state of snowfall..

wow. i really put myself in2 a bad mood. i'm done bitching now tho.

2nd Edit:
i'm stuck in research mode.
and now i see that Caribou, ME (about 10 minutes North from here) is ranked in the top 5 snowiest cities in the country (lower 48), according to the National Climatic Data Center and the Northeast Regional Climate Center at Cornell University..
and we've even placed #2! we were the favorites for #1 in 2000 but Rochester, NY beat us out when they +15.5 inch departure from their normal average.. but 2000 is the most recent year i've been able to find exact numbers on.

Valdez, Alaska averages 326 inches of snowfall tho.
i guess some1's always in worse shape than yourself.

YOU'D LUV WINTER HERE!

Sharp

Enlightened
It sucks here in Italy too...no snow, some rain, and a lot of wind and everyone complains about winter so I look like the only sicko that likes winter!

Richard

lightnix

Enlightened
I love winter too and always have. Even in my 40s I still feel childish delight at the sight of freshly fallen snow. Not so keen on the grey skies, though. Once the clouds have dumped the white stuff, I prefer to have clear skies and cold, crisp, dry air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The longer nights are definitely a boon and my pockets are already starting to bulge with "a few" extra lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait to get the X1 out in the fog, either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Unfortunately, my partner feels exactly the opposite, but I suppose that's love ("love" smiley currently unavailable).