Ever use the Arc LS single AA battery pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to have never gotten discussed. People talk about the long runtimes of the Infinity and Arc AA but here you have a battery pack and light that gives five or six hours of light per battery that has to be as bright as I think at least three Nichias. In terms of efficiency, it has to be the champ I would think. I never did because I was happy enough with the runtime of the CR123 battery. Must be most other's felt the same.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my ignorance here, but is the single AA batt pack a separate accessory? Or is it just the 2AA TSP running 1 AA and a spacer?

You're right about it never getting discussed, geepondy, and I'd like to hear about ppl's experience as well... I've seen it on Roy's runtime plots before, but never really give it much thought. Now that I MAY be able to jump in on Peter's wonderful sale, the LS has all my attention for now. One burning question I have tho', the 1 AA runtime seems to be longer than the 2 AA runtime on the plots, or am I reading it wrong?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a separate accessory. The 1AA pack is one of the discontinued product, following the change from LS1 to LS2. this AA pack will not work with newer arc. It will only work with LS1.
I think the runtime longer because it drains less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

dark star

Enlightened
I use several LS1's ( my favorote is cyan ) with a single AA battery pack. I get a couple hours runtime with a NiMH cell and its alot brighter then the Arc AA. I was quite lucky a couple of months ago, I got an Arc LS second, turned out to be a bright LS1, with a single AA battery its brigher then some LS2's with the 2AA pack.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My informal observation, is that, when the ARC LS first came out, there were NO READILY AVAILABLE INEXPENSIVE 123a batteries. The 1AA and 2AA were nice options.

d'mo

Enlightened
My LS1 running on a single AA is the brightest single AA flashlight I've ever come accross with no exceptions. Before finding 123s for $1.25, it was my preferred configuration due to it's small size and ample light output.

I appreciate and understand the innovation and progress of the latest Arc LS flshlights, but the Version 1's ability to a single, commonly available AA battery is a feature I wish had not been abandoned.

The LS is a scorcher on a 123 battery and is now my preferred cell, but in remote locations, they can be difficult to find and terribly expensive. Sure, I can use a 2 x AA battery holder, but this greatly increases the size of the light and requires me to carry extra parts to have the ability to switch between battery types.

I've modified my LS rev 1 with a high-dome Q3 Luxeon and modified the 1 x AA battery pack to be able to use 123, AA and AAA batteries. IMHO, with a bit of waterproofing, the Arc LS version 1 is darn near the perfect EDC flashlight ( for me anyway). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've tried EDCing SF L4, Firefly, Arc AAA, and countless others, but nothing compares close to the features of this flashlight!

Over the summer, I took my family on a cave tour. Half way throught the tour, my LS switched to moon mode. I had neglected to carry a spare 123 so I stole a AAA battery from my digital camera and was back un business again. I LOVE this flashlight!

Because of this utility, I can't see myself changing EDCs any time soon. I may have to change my tune when the LS4 is released. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
Wow, d'mo, that sounds so cool! Are the single AA packs still around? I guess nobody wants to part with them, but my LS would work nice with one. They are probably collectors items now!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do, but only on the older versions. The AA with the Red-Orange HD or Cyan LS is an unusually bright, economical package. I like the fat AA pack better than the later version.

The newer version LS lights can work with a single AA only if the battery is new. I believe the voltage on a new AA is just enough to get the light going, but don't turn the light on and off too much because once the voltage of the battery drops below X.XX, the light will not turn on.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.