Jetbeam        
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1043

Thread: AND THE OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER IS .....

Default Re: AND THE OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER IS .....

Well, I warned you. Welcome to my contact list.

This years Ig Nobles: https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/#ig2020

"A Chinese Alligator in Heliox: Formant Frequencies in a Crocodilian,

Eyebrows Cue Grandiose Narcissism,

Peace Prize [India, Pakistan]
    The governments of India and Pakistan, for having their diplomats surreptitiously ring each other’s doorbells in the middle of the night, and then run away before anyone had a chance to answer the door.

Excitation of Faraday-like body waves in vibrated living earthworms,

National Income Inequality Predicts Cultural Variation in Mouth to Mouth Kissing", etc.
    It could be worse. Common dangerous pet animals don’t have antlers.

The audio award is difficult to believe. How does one manage to get an alligator to do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    I think you may be on to something... yes... there could be some connection there. Or maybe it is instead that individual's intolerance and ignorance?
    As someone who has been a regular here for a long time, I can confirm (sadly) that it is indeed intolerance and ignorance that is the issue. Although I will admit that particular fact revealed itself to me only fairly recently. An individual's true colors come out during an Emergency or a deadly planetary event, such as a pandemic, and how they respond to it.

I've added a couple of individuals to my Ignore List. And to be honest, you don't get put on that list for making a post that I personally disagree with, nor one that I personally find incredibly offensive. Folks get on there for one of two reasons. One, constantly asking for help, I give it multiple times; and the person can't be bothered to so much as make a simple reply saying "Thank you." Might seem like a tiny thing. But not doing so let's me know that the individual is completely ungrateful for the help I gave them. Help that came due to effort on my part to educate myself. Based on the help requested, I may have only come up with the answer after months or in some cases years of research and experience. So, that lack of gratitude shown multiple times by one person; bothers me.

Second way to get on there? Pretend to be a decent, tolerant, understanding, intelligent person on CPF. But in reality, be a selfish, intolerant, low-life who only cares about himself. When someone constantly pretends to be the former, but is in fact the latter; eventually their true colors will come out. Especially during an Emergency or a deadly planetary event. Sometimes, neither one is required. It can be as simple as disagreeing with one of their long-held sacred cow beliefs. And their real personality comes out. Sometimes in a topic where they just can't control themselves. Sometimes in a PM.

While back, received a PM from a member I've politely disagreed with in the past; but whom I've agreed with on some matters too. Our back-and-forth replies to each other in various topics had been extremely civil. He presented himself as a very mature individual, extensive background in medicine due to his family relations in the medical field, someone well-read, a learned individual, and quite intelligent. I was initially happy to get a PM from him. I assumed it was going to be a question that he perhaps did not feel comfortable asking in public in a certain, recent, popular topic on CPF. I was wrong....

What I opened up was something filled to the brim with expletives, plenty of 4-letter words, and just ranting and raving that made no sense, and a make-believe fairy tale scheme by him to make me look like a fool in Greta's eyes. (She did disagree with me on something I had posted in a topic, and wanted me to clarify the points I raised.) He claimed his scheme worked, and that he did it all because I put a buddy of his on my Ignore List for constantly going out of his way to harass me. (I do tell those who end up on my Ignore List that I'm putting them on there, why I'm doing so, and to not bother replying to me anymore. I don't do that in a PM.)

This member who goes out of his way to present himself as a decent, intelligent, highly respectable individual on CPF.... No clue why anyone would go to such an extent on an internet forum. Sadly, he's definitely not the only one who does it. You'll find a shockingly surprising number of individuals here who do that. It's an internet forum. Except for nowadays a very rare meet-up among members (more common years ago), you're never going to see any of these people in real life. You're never going to meet them. You have no clue what they look like (unless they choose to post a pic. of themselves in a random topic). They're not your neighbors. And yes, CPF is a community of like-minded individuals. However, it's an online community. Even with meet-ups where random members encounter each other; there's a limit as to how far this community can realistically go. So why play pretend to such an extent?

Makes no sense to me. What you see with me is what you get in real life. I don't put on a persona past my CPF handle of "Monocrom," and most of the regulars here know my real name because I have no problem signing my PMs with it. It's an internet forum.... why would anyone put on airs or feel compelled to go out of their way to constantly pretend to be intelligent and respectable? What benefit is there to them? Perhaps other than to have a bunch of face-less almost strangers like them?? If you want to participate, great! If you can answer a question that others seem unsure of, absolutely jump in. If you want to chime in, then do so.

Unfortunately, this place is full of individuals who enjoy pretending they're decent human-beings. Bring up something remotely negative about one of their sacred cow beliefs, watch them react to you as the person they are in real life, instead of the respectable individual under their user-name. Sometimes their real personality comes out in an open topic. Usually the actually respectable members (vast majority of CPF) will give that person the benefit of the doubt. Chalk it us as they're having a bad day. Fair enough. But when you keep seeing that pattern of behavior returning days or weeks apart with no actual correction to their behavior, you can't chalk it up to numerous bad days. What you're seeing is the real person behind the CPF handle.

Again, most members on CPF are genuinely helpful and kind. That's been my experience over the past nearly 15 years having been a member on here. But unfortunately there are those who enjoy playing pretend at being respectable, and respectful too. Sadly, while not a huge percentage of members here, still a significant one from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 09-18-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    This years Ig Nobles: https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/#ig2020

"A Chinese Alligator in Heliox: Formant Frequencies in a Crocodilian,

Eyebrows Cue Grandiose Narcissism,

Peace Prize [India, Pakistan]
    The governments of India and Pakistan, for having their diplomats surreptitiously ring each other’s doorbells in the middle of the night, and then run away before anyone had a chance to answer the door.

Excitation of Faraday-like body waves in vibrated living earthworms,

National Income Inequality Predicts Cultural Variation in Mouth to Mouth Kissing", etc.
    Chance don't answer anyone's door but his own.
    The question is no longer - What will they do? It's now - Is there anything they won't do?

Is that where you turn a bolt too tight and ruin the threads? Or is that where u pull a string on your shirt and the sleeve falls off?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 10-04-2020 at 06:45 AM.

A drunk, a California governor, and a liberal from Berkeley walk into a bar. The drunk has a blackout. The governor causes a blackout. The liberal has the blackouts cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    About five years ago my 94 Astro started making a terrible noise. A short investigation revealed a worn out pulley, and a job I was seriously dreading. Everything around the pulley was hidden and / or covered with 300,000 miles worth of oil soaked debris.

Being a flashaholic and not wanting to use flashlight money to pay a mechanic ...... What to do? Quick! To the internet! Within minutes I found a video that some wonderful person had taken the time to make and upload of the complete job. Dude even took the time and effort to show exactly where the bolts were located. Armed with the information the task wasn't nearly so daunting.

~ Chance
    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I hate working on cars, trouble is I'm a useful mechanic. Too much blood for my taste.
    P
    I love you guys!

When I was a kid, my dad was paying a mortgage, and feeding and clothing 5 kids. Earlier in his life his was a professional mechanic. If something broke around the house, he would take it apart and try to fix it before calling in a tech. He made me hold the flashlight for him, and made me "Pay Attention!" You know... "A good helper has the tool in hand before the mechanic needs the tool!" That meant that I had to anticipate his needs, and therefore I had to "THINK" about what he was trying to do and what the next step would be. When tested for mechanical ability I was placed in the top 3% of the country. I tried to do that with my kids, and now with my Grand-Kids. So far, with three out of four of them I have been successful! By doing his own repairs, he saved enough money, that he and my Mom traveled the world.

I learned a lot by reading Haynes, or Chilton's manuals for repairing cars, but I always had my Dad to fall back on.

Kids of today have grown up with the internet and forums. YouTube! IT's funny, but just as when the Haynes, or Chilton manual failed me, that's when I would go to my Dad; It is when the internet fails my Grand-Kids that they will come to me.

It is a mixed bag of feelings, for me. I want to be the first line of knowledge, yet I am delighted that they are confident in their abilities and the ability to gain additional knowledge online.

Peter,
    I recall a day when I was lying in the street on my back, under the car, while it was raining, with water running under my back, beating on a U-Joint, wondering... Did God bless me? OR condemn me with this knowledge, and ability?

Overall... I think it is a blessing.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

This is almost Too easy!

AND THE OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER IS....

The next one to post is a rotten egg!

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    This is almost Too easy!

Meh, I've been called a lot worse on the internet; and in real life.
    Don't share your honest opinions with people if you want to be popular.
    Also, we have an official threadkiller. So he no longer posts. We miss him.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    This is almost Too easy!

Katherine,
    That was Too Funny!

You are a clever one, you are.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Seriously, I'm here because of flashlights, for friends and to have a somewhat of an online family. I'm honest--probably too honest and along with a serious topic you just might find some goofyness mixed in. Sometimes I tackle a subject with a seemingly angry attitude when I meant no harm. Maybe I was too goofy(high on coffee). Maybe what I wrote didn't make no since--I was posting when I should have been sleeping. Maybe I just had a blonde moment(I get those a lot).
    I think what hurt my credibility here the most though was talking about a certain critter that ain't suppose to exist. A lot of that was tongue in cheek goofiness, but some of it wasn't. I've tried to always be honest on this forum though. Well, I guess I have my label--might as well wear it
    Yeah Monocrom, I think I kind of understand what ur saying because I've been there and no set of words exist that can convey how u feel about that--I know.
    There way this old man that started coming to a church I was once going to. He got in good with everyone and they liked him. I liked him and looked up to him as a GODLY role model and grandpa figure--both mine died before I was born. When my first wife died he even offered to take me fishing. A day came when I was remarried and my new wife was working for that man's mother in law. There was a woman(I've known for years at church) there that my wife invited to come live with us because she was being treated badly by the woman of the house. I was in agreement with this although it wasn't my ideal.
    You see, the family was getting money off of this women and also making her do things she should have been paid for, but they were too cheap.
    That old man and that woman got to arguing and some cuss words were exchanged which suprised me. He ordered me to help her with her things....I just stood there in shock because I couldn't believe what I was hearing come out of their mouths. He comes in my space and puts his hands on me and threatens me. I just stood there speechless with not even a thought of defending myself because you aren't supposed to hit your elders. My wife says--"HEY!! LEAVE MY HUSBAND ALONE". Someone from their family walks over there and calms him down and I move away from him feeling like a wuss.
    Come to find out later he was an old navy seal that just wanted an excuse to see if he still had "it" and tried to create a situation so he could find out (and show off for HIS new wife and probably for mine also). I talked to the pastor about him--the pastor doesn't believe me. That guy has the whole church fooled. I tried to reason with him on the phone as a brother in CHRIST. He said "don't give me that crap" and then proceeds to tell me that he will meet me anytime at the local strip pit to finish this. That was back in 99 and it still bothers me till this very day.
    I know the church is mostly comprised of non Christians going for whatever reasons including to have an air of respectability, but going to church doesn't make you anymore a Christian than being in a garage makes you a car.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 10-02-2020 at 01:24 PM.

GPM, there's an old saying:
    It's easy to scoff it's easy to hate.
    It takes strength to be gentle and kind.

Sometimes playing the "gentleman" role is very very difficult. Yet time washes away the details and leaves behind the truth. The gentleman always wins in the end. I just remind myself who won the race between the rabbit and the turtle……
    John 3:16

Thanks bykfixer. That wasn't easy to share. Even when I didn't go to church there anymore when revival came around I would show up at least once just to walk up to him and shake his hand to see what he'd do. He'd just grin like a opossum and shake hands like nothing ever happened. Because of what Monocrom said it sparked my memory. Something I'd rather not remember.
    Edit: that handshaking was a right hand of fellowship handshake. I wanted to be the bigger man and see if it would spark repentance in him. The ONE that abides inside of me got me to do this and each time I did this I gave a little forgiveness.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 10-02-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    .... I just remind myself who won the race between the rabbit and the turtle……
    It was a hare and a tortoise, and yes, there is a difference.Maybe this will kill this thread??

The word for today is - Pedant.
    The question is no longer - What will they do? It's now - Is there anything they won't do?

The word for today is - Pedant.
    A compliment from the converted!

[QUOTE=Maybe this will kill this thread??[/QUOTE]

I sure hope not. Please don't leave me hanging near the end. Someone tell some funnies quick. Hey Katherine-that was a good one.

In some situations, we are called to turn the other cheek. I sometimes have to remind myself the Bible wasn't saying to moon people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    In some situations, we are called to turn the other cheek. I sometimes have to remind myself the Bible wasn't saying to moon people.
    Was that just an off color pun with “cheek” and “moon”? I love jokes making fun of the bible. Is this thread dead yet??

Hey, can we start a thread on motor oil too? I want to tell about the fits my truck gave me just from running SN rated oil in it.

The lack of a true topic for this thread does not mean that CPF rules don’t apply. Please use the UG for potentially divisive topics. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I know the church is mostly comprised of non Christians going for whatever reasons including to have an air of respectability, but going to church doesn't make you anymore a Christian than being in a garage makes you a car.
    My apologies for reducing the quoted portion of your post. Read it all, and genuinely appreciate that you took the time to write all of it. I simply really wanted to focus on this last paragraph of yours. As a Christian, I try to lead a good life and help out others. Sometimes I fall a bit short. It happens to all of us. But some just pose as the real thing just to get others to think better of them.

What kind of person would commit an unprovoked attack on 67 year old Rick Moranis?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The lack of a true topic for this thread does not mean that CPF rules don’t apply. Please use the UG for potentially divisive topics. Thank you.
    In addition, I might add that the reason the thread has taken on an almost invulnerable survival, and the ease in which it's monitored, is thanks to everyone's agreement to the policies established in the following opening words to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    Admin note: Originally entitled "Do you at times feel as though you’re the “Thread Killer”?"

It's apparent that the rambling, random thought thread was enjoyed by many, even though it consumed considerable effort by moderators to ensure that it remained in compliance with rules and policies. In order to address both matters, let's again attempt to offer you the opportunity to once again enjoy this meandering non-congruent-themed thread. In order to address the 2nd concern we'll post the following disclaimer and agreement.

By posting in the thread, you agree that your postings and content may be removed without warning, consideration or reason. You agree that any submission deemed by CPF moderators or administrators to be unsuitable, offensive, or contrary to CPF's rules or policies may be removed at their discretion.

Last edited by Empath; 10-02-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: changed it to it's

We now return you to a thread about nothing ........ and everything.

Thank you Monocrom.
    To the Modurators and Administrators I humble apologize for posting anything against the rules and thank you for taking that down for me because I probably would have took down too much. If it is alright with you all I want to click back to the cafe and start a thread on motor oil. I'm an oil nut also. I like to go in walmart and embarrass my wife by picking up the purdy jugs of oil and snuggle them and pet them. One day I might name one of them George.

We now return you to a thread about nothing ........ and everything.
    Hahaha, Chance, nice segway into.........whatever it's about.....

maMAAA! Are we there yeeeet!!!!?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 10-03-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Well, my chickens just don't think it's proper to say what pa told me. They said pa's a couple of bricks shy of a full load. Yup, that's what my chickens say
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 10-16-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24272829303132333435 LastLast