• High: 375 Lumen
  • Mid: 125 Lumen
  • Low: 15 Lumen
  • 900 Lumen Strobe
  • 125 Lumen SOS
distance 380 Meters Intensity: 36100cd

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it still have the 25 minute throttling from turbo to high? That's the only thing I don't like about the tk35.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be picky, today when stepdown after 3 minutes is a standard, 25 minutes (with a possibility to go back to turbo right after stepdown) doesn't sound that bad.

I was waiting for this update. I'm just curious about the brightness. Just 900 lumens compared to 860 from XM-L U2 (+4,6%)? Sounds pretty low especially compared to 24,5% increase in throw.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The grip is still too slippery.
It could use a 5th mode.
The step down could be variable. If you are using cr123A then by all means step down after 15 minutes (say if you lend it to someone); if you are using 18650, then make it 45 minutes.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it still have the 25 minute throttling from turbo to high? That's the only thing I don't like about the tk35.

Oh come now. Maybe in a number of years that wouldn't be reasonable, but for 2014 it seems pretty generous to run a light that size (that is, pretty small) for 25 minutes at 900 lumens.

utlgoa

Enlightened
The Fenix TK35 will be in the Flashlight Hall of Fame one day (if it is not already) and I will most definitely be purchasing this upgrade !

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I don't like the 25 min throttling is because the implementation is completely useless. Lights this size tend to reach equilibrium temperature in around 10-15 mins so a 25 minute throttling serves no purpose in protection from overheating. IMO, it doesn't need thermal throttling at all, but if they insist on being cautious, this is not the way to do it. Temperature based throttling would be ideal but they could also use e.g. a 20% reduction after 5 minutes which would be barely noticeable.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the flashlight body plastic or so?

Still is?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I don't like the 25 min throttling is because the implementation is completely useless. Lights this size tend to reach equilibrium temperature in around 10-15 mins so a 25 minute throttling serves no purpose in protection from overheating. IMO, it doesn't need thermal throttling at all, but if they insist on being cautious, this is not the way to do it. Temperature based throttling would be ideal but they could also use e.g. a 20% reduction after 5 minutes which would be barely noticeable.

That is probably true most of the time, but if you sit the light down in a warm room with no good air circulation and no way to really vent the heat well (like your hand's blood) then it could conceivably get hotter and hotter over that duration. I don't know, it might just be a safety thing to cover Fenix's butt. I know my E50 (with much less mass near the head... someone can go check the weight) gets pretty dang hot if it tailstands on a table without being touched. I wouldn't want a light getting that hot for fear of damaging the LED or *gulp* splodin' the batteries (I don't know if a light like the TK41 is much safer in this regard using NiMh... you run into different potential problems with the sheer number of batteries). The TK35 definitely has more mass to cool the light, but maybe it's still best to have the eventual step down.

Can't you just return the light to max anyway? If it's not that hot then it probably doesn't matter. It seems more like a user warning to check the light if you ask me. For us flashaholics who know how to properly use a light it's no biggie, but to a guy who is used to 2 dollar Chinese plastic lights still using incan bulbs who suddenly comes into possession of a TK35 it might be a good idea (okay that last scenario is pretty unlikely... but hey people gets presents lol).

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I don't like the 25 min throttling is because the implementation is completely useless.
It does allow you to easily track the time you have had the light on without checking the watch before you turn it on. For extended use and if you are short of batteries outside it can be helpful.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's now on Fenix's website, although there is no picture, description, features, or specifications when you go to its page.

Capolini

Banned
I have the TK35 and the TK75. I love turbo!!! I do use other modes, but not much and they are usually the EDC's around the house[S10,S20,SENS CR]!!! :shakehead

I love the fact that I can use the TK35/TK75 at max output for the duration of the battery charge minus step downs[split second,no big deal!] WITHOUT either of them having a heat issue regardless of the time of year! :thumbsup:

How many torches can do that? Not many,,,,,I have one other that can do that and it does not have any step down, my M3X! I also love that torch! Used it tonight to navigate through the single digit temps. as the Siberian[Capo] sniffed out several deer! :)

ghodan

Newly Enlightened
Specs:
TK35 -XM-L2 (U2) 900 Ansi lumen 36.100 CD 380 meter trow
TK35 U2 860 Ansi lumen 29.000 CD 340 meter trow
TK35 820 Ansi lumen 27.739 CD 333 meter trow